EXPO doesn’t work on Asus TUF x670e plus

Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Did your update your BIOS?

Newer BIOS's tend to have improved memory compatibility. With the exception of ASUS 1222 BIOS which breaks compatibility with a wide range of RAM module. Most people stick with the older version 0821

So I put together a pc back in 11.2022. Specs:

Asus TUF gaming x670E

Ryzen 7700x

Kingsron fury: KF560C36BBEK2-32

Recently bought RTX4090 and PNY XLR8 CS3140 2TB

After I put together the PC I have had some problems with its performance, mainly geekbench 5 score was 40-50% lower than the same cpu but Cinnebench R23 run within margin of error. So I thought stupid apple bias benchmark and ignored it. Now after I purchased 4090 I wanted to play destiny 2 which had some fps drops but was tolerable. Today however it became obvious that something is wrong, it dropped to 40 fps. I decided to run 3DMark and got 20000 score. Cpu was apparently the issue so I thought I will update BIOS, after such update I enabled EXPO and my PC was stuck at yellow mem light for 20 min. I cleared cmos and it booted normally. After that I tried all EXPO profiles no luck, I needed to clear cmos after each attempt. I decided to run the PC with stock config and it worked properly, fps in destiny 2 was within 100-140 at 4k and 3d Mark gave me 30 000 score. After all that I decided to downgrade my bios and tried expo on earlier versions, no luck yellow light for me. So I upgraded the bios once again and set expo values manually (with ought enabling expo) all I got was yellow light. Keep in mind that every failed yellow light = cmos reset. What should I do now? I am close to ripping my rtx out and giving the remaining components jackhammer treatment.

4 minutes ago, moroszyn said:

So I put together a pc back in 11.2022. Specs:

Asus TUF gaming x670E

Ryzen 7700x

Kingsron fury: KF560C36BBEK2-32

Recently bought RTX4090 and PNY XLR8 CS3140 2TB

After I put together the PC I have had some problems with its performance, mainly geekbench 5 score was 40-50% lower than the same cpu but Cinnebench R23 run within margin of error. So I thought stupid apple bias benchmark and ignored it. Now after I purchased 4090 I wanted to play destiny 2 which had some fps drops but was tolerable. Today however it became obvious that something is wrong, it dropped to 40 fps. I decided to run 3DMark and got 20000 score. Cpu was apparently the issue so I thought I will update BIOS, after such update I enabled EXPO and my PC was stuck at yellow mem light for 20 min. I cleared cmos and it booted normally. After that I tried all EXPO profiles no luck, I needed to clear cmos after each attempt. I decided to run the PC with stock config and it worked properly, fps in destiny 2 was within 100-140 at 4k and 3d Mark gave me 30 000 score. After all that I decided to downgrade my bios and tried expo on earlier versions, no luck yellow light for me. So I upgraded the bios once again and set expo values manually (with ought enabling expo) all I got was yellow light. Keep in mind that every failed yellow light = cmos reset. What should I do now? I am close to ripping my rtx out and giving the remaining components jackhammer treatment.

What EXPO setting did you try, the 5600 or 6000mhz?

Just now, Hinjima said:

What EXPO setting did you try, the 5600 or 6000mhz?

All of them on different BIOS versions.

6 minutes ago, moroszyn said:

All of them on different BIOS versions.

Strange. Your RAM is not listed on the motherboards QVL ( memory compatability ) but some dimms that very similar is supported.  I dont know if this might be the issue why its not stable.
image.thumb.png.229c0fe7c0691520c8e2099cbb36b3ce.png

I checked QVL but the difference is AEK modules have RGB mine does not. EXPO worked previously but after update nothing. I started to wonder whether I am defective or my pc is. I mean the damned RAM has EXPO on the box.

Are these results acceptable for my hardware (no OC)?

time spy1.png

Screenshot 2023-03-04 032526.png

timespy2.png

Newer BIOS's tend to have improved memory compatibility. With the exception of ASUS 1222 BIOS which breaks compatibility with a wide range of RAM module. Most people stick with the older version 0821

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I made the mistake of updating to 1222 and now even after downgrade to 0821 no expo for me. EXPO worked on 0809 but that version was too buggy.

• 3 weeks later...

BIOS version 1223 just came online, anybody allready tried that?

1 hour ago, MiesPeuk said:

BIOS version 1223 just came online, anybody allready tried that?

My board doesn't have it yet:

https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b650e-i-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_bios/

Update: 1410 Beta is here.

Release notes:

"Beta BIOS
1. Update AGESA version to ComboAM5PI 1.0.0.6
2. Supports high density DDR5 module
3. TPM 2.0 security update

Ok. Well so far so good.

1410 seems to be good.

• EXPO-II works
  • Memory Context Restore works
  • My memory minor OC (passing from 6000MHz to 6200MHz no timing change) works
  • No performance drop
  • No sleep issues
  • CPU downclocks the same as before when idle
  • System seems stables so far.

That said: No boot time improvement. Took 11-12sec before under 0821, and still takes 11-12sec now. That is with Memory Context Restore enabled, Fast Boot enabled, POST delay set to 0sec (which ASUS ignore, and still has a min delay)

I updated the BIOS using ASUS recommendations to the letter + set it up the system in baby steps.

1. Download the BIOS
  2. Used the rename tool
  3. Put on USB flash drive
  4. Safe-Eject USB flash drive
  5. Restart system to UEFI
  6. Load system default, save and exit
  7. Go back to UEFI setup
  8. Updated the BIOS (expect several restarts. Don't hit any keys or interrupt the process)
  9. Once done, go back in UEFI, don't change anything besides boot order, or RAID (if needed), Save & Exit. System will memory train and boot normally and go to Windows.
  10. Now restart the system, go to the UEFI, setup everything the way you want, apply any OC/PBO/EXPO, BUT do NOT enable Memory Context. Save & Exit. Let the system memory train, and boot to Windows. Check if everything is good.
  11. If all good, go back to the UEFI, now enable Memory Context Restore, save & Exit, and enjoy! Note: When you enable it, some memory settings might change, like "Power Down" could be set to Enable. That is fine, leave it to whatever ASUS is happy with.

Why did I not reload my saved profiles?

Good question, this BIOS, like 1222 contains new options, and I didn't want to open the door of any ASUS bugs and set things stuff incorrectly as a result to a miss match of options between the save profile and the new options. I mean, it should not. But you never know. Beside it wasn't that time consuming to manually enter everything. Take pictures before starting the process, if you must.

Reminder spec:

• Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I GAMING WIFI
  • RAM: 32GB G.Skill F5-6000J3238F16G (2x stick kit - Hynix)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7700X with PBO Negative set to 30
  • GPU: None - Using iGPU of the CPU
  • Drivers: AMD Chipset Driver V5.01.03.005 acquired from ASUS website. Note: When installing the drivers (even from AMD website) The setup will say that was successfully installed, but: AMD GPIO Driver (for Promontory) will fail if you check the logs and setup will indicate so when you rerun the setup. I had to manually uninstall it from Device Manager, and force install manually version 3.0.0. Re-installing the AMD driver will still show it fails and act as if it has failed, but the drivers are there. So I don't know.

Remaining problem:

• As mentioned, BIOS boot time is not ~5sec as it should, which you can get with Intel based system, especially with ASRock board with its Ultra-Fast boot option.
  • Windows reports: "USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend" errors for all connected USB devices when doing powercfg -energy command.
  • On that report, Windows also continues to reports: "Power Policy:Processor idle states are disabled"

Had great success last night with TUF x670e-plus wifi bios 1223. Personally i didnt want to go for the 1410 beta, since I was having so many issues with 1222.    

With bios 1222: 

• Constant crashes in games and cinebench with EXPO enabled, no PBO or curve optimiser touched.
  • Basically a unusable PC with EXPO enabled. Stable without EXPO. 

With bios 1223: 

• EXPOII works as expected. Ram at 6000MHz, 36-36-80. 1.35 and 1.8 (VPP). 
  • No crashes in after 60 min prime95 memory testing, no memory issues with memtest. 
  • Enabled negative curve -10 on 7600x without any issues
  • Cinebench score around 14300 

Memory context restore and the shut down option enabled results in around 20 seconds from cold boot to windows. 13 seconds reported in task manager as boot time (my old intel from 2016 had around 10 seconds boot time, from cold to windows). 

All of the above leads to a stable machine primed and ready to enter Diablo 4 beta queue this friday.  

7600x, Kingston Fury KF560C36BBEAK2-32. ASUS TUF x670e-plus wifi.

On 3/23/2023 at 3:08 PM, PaulKemp said:

Had great success last night with TUF x670e-plus wifi bios 1223. Personally i didnt want to go for the 1410 beta, since I was having so many issues with 1222.    

With bios 1222: 

• Constant crashes in games and cinebench with EXPO enabled, no PBO or curve optimiser touched.
  • Basically a unusable PC with EXPO enabled. Stable without EXPO. 

With bios 1223: 

• EXPOII works as expected. Ram at 6000MHz, 36-36-80. 1.35 and 1.8 (VPP). 
  • No crashes in after 60 min prime95 memory testing, no memory issues with memtest. 
  • Enabled negative curve -10 on 7600x without any issues
  • Cinebench score around 14300 

Memory context restore and the shut down option enabled results in around 20 seconds from cold boot to windows. 13 seconds reported in task manager as boot time (my old intel from 2016 had around 10 seconds boot time, from cold to windows). 

All of the above leads to a stable machine primed and ready to enter Diablo 4 beta queue this friday.  

7600x, Kingston Fury KF560C36BBEAK2-32. ASUS TUF x670e-plus wifi.

I am so happy things work for you, I really am, but I kinda feel disappointed either in my hardware or my skill to get it to work properly. I installed 1223 and still no EXPO for me only yellow light. Tried the exact steps @GoodBytes suggested. At this point I'll wait for 1410 to get out of the beta phase, and try my luck than. If nothing works I'll RMA the MB, and when they tell me that everything works fine I'll put it in a wood chipper. Thanks for your support, if either Asus or AMD cared as much as randos on tech forums I wouldn't have to write this.

P.S. how does your MB behave after turning on the EXPO? Mine doesn't even turn off and just switches green light to yellow after I hit enter. Shouldn't it realize the memory won't train and restore defaults, I HAVE TO RESET F(ASUS) CMOS AFTER EACH ATTEMPT.

P.S.2. why does it think 6000>>>5600 after fresh reset?

IMG_20230325_185642.jpg

IMG_20230325_191333.jpg

With 1410 beta, everything works fine on my side. In fact it's been a tank with my hardware configurations. I upgraded to it day 1. And use my system for work and home. 

That is for, 1 small thing:  11-12sec boot time. Not bad, as the normal target is 5-7sec. But not the awful 30sec+ due to memory training each time of some older BIOS. Also, ASUS forces a 1 sec delay at boot time, despite you setting 0sec. I can live with this issue. Sucks for sure, but livable.

54 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

With 1410 beta, everything works fine on my side. In fact it's been a tank with my hardware configurations. I upgraded to it day 1. And use my system for work and home. 

That is for, 1 small thing:  11-12sec boot time. Not bad, as the normal target is 5-7sec. But not the awful 30sec+ due to memory training each time of some older BIOS. Also, ASUS forces a 1 sec delay at boot time, despite you setting 0sec. I can live with this issue. Sucks for sure, but livable.

So I updated to 1410 and no EXPO, even tried the setting tweaked expo. I'm starting to think I have defective hardware. Can you describe how your PC acted after turning EXPO on. How did it train?

• 4 weeks later...

I have had nothing but issues with this same motherboard even tried bios upgrades it didn't post reliability at all.

Sometimes needs a clear CMOS to post sometimes it just needs a good 20 minutes to boot.

They called it the right name, its TUF to game on a system that won't post.

After spending $300 on another Ram kit it still won't post, so now looking at RMA the board.

Seems common though i wish Asus would accept they have issues here.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 12:25 PM, Maticks said:

I have had nothing but issues with this same motherboard even tried bios upgrades it didn't post reliability at all.

Sometimes needs a clear CMOS to post sometimes it just needs a good 20 minutes to boot.

They called it the right name, its TUF to game on a system that won't post.

After spending $300 on another Ram kit it still won't post, so now looking at RMA the board.

Seems common though i wish Asus would accept they have issues here.

Well, aSUS is in hot water now. Seeing tech Jesus, and Jayz absolutely demolish them put big smile on my face. All the time I put into troubleshooting my build, literarily hours of my life wasted, now they will pay. Smug bastards. I am tempted to just buy a different x670 board and throw my aSUS out the window, but this thought stops me “I need to protect the public from this abhorrent abomination”. On 2nd thought I’ll put it in metal box and sink it in the ocean. May it never resurface. Can you tell I despise this board with burning passion? It was supposed to be my dream machine, what I received is pure nightmare 😞