GTX 680 Lightning running on last legs

RTCook

So my GTX 680 Lightning is running on it's last legs, can't run it OC anymore even on a modified BIOS in LN2 mode.  I'm starting to think that my monitor I sent in didn't have any problems with "blacking out" randomly because the one I am using right now is having the same issue with my RMA monitor still out.  So I'm beginning to think either the Video Card is dying a slow and painful death after all I put it through, or the DVI ports on the back are giving out (I use both of them for my 2 ASUS IPS monitors).

Question now is, do I upgrade to a 770 (680 bleh), 780 (Ti?), or try and wait for the 800 series to come out.  That was my original plan, was to get the 880 and call it a day, but with them being pushed back because of TSMC problems, I'm getting a bit worried that the 880 won't be the "true" Maxwell (GF200 or 210? can't remember).

What do you guys think, I really don't feel like getting a 780 and waste money on it when I plan to get an 880 later on when it comes out.  But it's almost looking like that may be my best option since my ONLY backup card is a GTX 460 1Gb (ewwwww).

Thanks in advance!

-RTCook

I would wait for it to completely die as the 800 series cards are just around the corner. If it dies before then a 780 would be worthy upgrade.

Twitter | Steam |

Run your card underclocked and undervolted. Wait till Maxwell. I am not a fan of upgrading single generations and considering you were already planning on buying Maxwell I'd say go for it.

Also out of curiousity how did you manage to kill your card in only 2 years? 680s never ran too hot and the lightning cooler was great.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I wouldn't upgrade to a 770 because it's really not that much of an upgrade considering the fact you have a 680 Lightning. 

If you do get a 780ti, buy EVGA so that if the 800 series comes out in the next 3 months, all you would have to do is pay the difference between a 780ti and 880 to get an 880.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Run your card underclocked and undervolted. Wait till Maxwell. I am not a fan of upgrading single generations and considering you were already planning on buying Maxwell I'd say go for it.

Also out of curiousity how did you manage to kill your card in only 2 years? 680s never ran too hot and the lightning cooler was great.

Altered BIOS from someone on Overclock.net, forget whose it was.  I can't run the card in LN2 mode anymore after I ran it with such a high OC for over a year (1310MHz Core / 6455Mhz Memory).

Guess I just burnt it out, it was running at near max voltage 24/7 because of the altered BIOS, he couldn't figure out how to change it, but at least I was able to use the card at full potential (+300% Voltage!)

EDIT:  Also that may be my best bet, running the card underclocked/undervolted to keep it alive a little bit longer, didn't think of that!

expect maxwell to be delayed to 2015...

Tis this post and my problem  :unsure:

Altered BIOS from someone on Overclock.net, forget whose it was.  I can't run the card in LN2 mode anymore after I ran it with such a high OC for over a year (1310MHz Core / 6455Mhz Memory).

Guess I just burnt it out, it was running at near max voltage 24/7 because of the altered BIOS, he couldn't figure out how to change it, but at least I was able to use the card at full potential (+300% Voltage!)

EDIT:  Also that may be my best bet, running the card underclocked/undervolted to keep it alive a little bit longer, didn't think of that!

300% voltage? so like 3v?? :o

Did you try stock BIOS again? :)

Also I'd buy a 760 to tide you over till maxwell if it gives up. It will hold it's own in 1080p then you can sell it should you want to upgrade

300% voltage? so like 3v?? :o

Did you try stock BIOS again? :)

Also I'd buy a 760 to tide you over till maxwell if it gives up. It will hold it's own in 1080p then you can sell it should you want to upgrade

The non LN2 mode BIOS is stock yes, that is what I am running atm.  These cards out of the gate were suppose to allow for Triple Overvoltage, but NVidia said NO, but Overclockers and BIOS tweakers said YES!

A 760 would be a harsh downgrade to my 680 Lightning or I would get it, yea it's cheap and could prob run "most" of my games maxed out but it's no 680 Lightning sadly.  A stock 760 is a little OC'd 670 if I remember right.

The non LN2 mode BIOS is stock yes, that is what I am running atm.  These cards out of the gate were suppose to allow for Triple Overvoltage, but NVidia said NO, but Overclockers and BIOS tweakers said YES!

A 760 would be a harsh downgrade to my 680 Lightning or I would get it, yea it's cheap and could prob run "most" of my games maxed out but it's no 680 Lightning sadly.  A stock 760 is a little OC'd 670 if I remember right.

I think the 760 is a tad slower than the 670 actually, I could be wrong though. 

I would also recommend the 760. It's the most sensible option really. You can try n hold out but you might be waiting for a long time and 760's are cheap just now. I'd still say go for the 20nm cards when they are out which is why I wouldn't say go for a 780 (even though I'm waiting for the 780 I ordered recently xD) unless you don't mind wasting a few $. If you only 1080p game a 760 will do you fine for the most part I think. Maybe buy a second hand miners card on the cheap and sell it to a store when the next gen is out. If somehow the card did die it'd still be under warranty (make sure the card you buy still has a valid warranty) but try not to kill that card too xDD.

This is like a sad story

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

This is like a sad story

How so?  :huh:

I think the 760 is a tad slower than the 670 actually, I could be wrong though. 

I would also recommend the 760. It's the most sensible option really. You can try n hold out but you might be waiting for a long time and 760's are cheap just now. I'd still say go for the 20nm cards when they are out which is why I wouldn't say go for a 780 (even though I'm waiting for the 780 I ordered recently xD) unless you don't mind wasting a few $. If you only 1080p game a 760 will do you fine for the most part I think. Maybe buy a second hand miners card on the cheap and sell it to a store when the next gen is out. If somehow the card did die it'd still be under warranty (make sure the card you buy still has a valid warranty) but try not to kill that card too xDD.

Yea I only have the 2x ASUS 1080p 24" IPS screens, don't care much about going higher honestly.  Still dunno if I want to waste money on even a 760 if they even prove to be slower than a 670, if that was the case I could prob find a cheaper 670.  In the end, that might still be wasting money unless I go EVGA which is a possibility.  My only gripe is I would be losing out on a possible 880 Lightning that just blows everything away, but that's just my "enthusiast wants" talking lol.  :lol:

A 770 is just a rebadged 680 so no upgrade there.  I'd say go for a 290X or a 780Ti if you want the best upgrade possible or go for a regular 780 if you want to save some cash and still get a significant performance boost...

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

How so?  :huh:

Yea I only have the 2x ASUS 1080p 24" IPS screens, don't care much about going higher honestly.  Still dunno if I want to waste money on even a 760 if they even prove to be slower than a 670, if that was the case I could prob find a cheaper 670.  In the end, that might still be wasting money unless I go EVGA which is a possibility.  My only gripe is I would be losing out on a possible 880 Lightning that just blows everything away, but that's just my "enthusiast wants" talking lol.  :lol:

It just seemed sad, looks like I was wrong its a gpu after all

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC