"New" HDD has more power on hours then I would expect

badlou101
Go to solution Solved by kirashi,
1 minute ago, badlou101 said:

Hi,

I recently bought a new 500GB Seagate ST500DM002 drive of Newegg I plugged it in and looked at the smart data when I found out that it had ~150 power on hours. I then went to check the warranty on Seagates website to see this (see screenshot). Should I return it?

seagate.png

Given the limited information you've shared with us, I'm inclined to believe this drive was not actually a "new" model. Did you buy from Newegg directly or a third party seller on their marketplace? Either way, I'd be asking for a return because of what Seagate's warranty check website indicates.

Hi,

I recently bought a new 500GB Seagate ST500DM002 drive of Newegg I plugged it in and looked at the smart data when I found out that it had ~150 power on hours. I then went to check the warranty on Seagates website to see this (see screenshot). Should I return it?

seagate.png

1 minute ago, badlou101 said:

Hi,

seagate.png

Given the limited information you've shared with us, I'm inclined to believe this drive was not actually a "new" model. Did you buy from Newegg directly or a third party seller on their marketplace? Either way, I'd be asking for a return because of what Seagate's warranty check website indicates.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

8 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Not sure if I bought it from newegg directly but here is the listing https://www.newegg.com/seagate-desktop-hdd-st500dm002-500gb/p/N82E16822148767?Item=9SIAA0S8TU3294&quicklink=true

7 minutes ago, badlou101 said:

Yep, third party scammer seller. Best return it and only buy sensitive things like Hard Drives from Newegg directly.

image.thumb.png.bb0ee61cb023d3949dd0897f0d24ff07.png

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Yep, third party scammer seller. Best return it and only buy sensitive things like Hard Drives from Newegg directly.

image.thumb.png.bb0ee61cb023d3949dd0897f0d24ff07.png

Even if it is used do you think it would be safe to use just for non sensitive files?

4 minutes ago, badlou101 said:

Even if it is used do you think it would be safe to use just for non sensitive files?

All mechanical things eventually fail - it's just a matter of time. That drive may last the lifespan of 2 or 3 computers over a 10 year period, or it could die tomorrow. Same can be said about a drive that's actually brand new. You could certainly use this drive if you're okay with the increased possibility of it having issues from however it was used previously. Just ensure you've got a backup of any data you cannot easily re-create or download again.

image.thumb.png.1c32a53c29666eeb43d4b1422c1a9770.png

Says right there, it's not NewEgg directly -- third party seller. Return this thing ASAP.

16 minutes ago, badlou101 said:

I wouldn't trust it. It probably failed not long after being put in service and is refurbished. Refurbished, you pays your money and you takes your chances. Who's to say the seller didn't install malware on it? Someone who sells used equipment as new is not to be trusted.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

12 minutes ago, kirashi said:

All mechanical things eventually fail - it's just a matter of time. That drive may last the lifespan of 2 or 3 computers over a 10 year period, or it could die tomorrow. Same can be said about a drive that's actually brand new. You could certainly use this drive if you're okay with the increased possibility of it having issues from however it was used previously. Just ensure you've got a backup of any data you cannot easily re-create or download again.

Its just for blu ray rips so im sure it would be fine.

15 minutes ago, badlou101 said:

Its just for blu ray rips so im sure it would be fine.

150 hours isn't bad if you got it at a low price. That's like a week of usage given most people don't even turn off their computers. And for just mass storage, yea I don't see it being much of an issue.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

150 hours isn't bad if you got it at a low price. That's like a week of usage given most people don't even turn off their computers. And for just mass storage, yea I don't see it eing much of an issue.

Yea it was only 20$ so ill just keep it.

Just now, badlou101 said:

Yea it was only 20$ so ill just keep it.

It'll probably cost you more to try to return it anyways, in terms of shipping costs, time wasted, and your sanity. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, badlou101 said:

It would be nice if there was a way to report this to new egg does anyone know if that exits?

I'm sure there is, at least by calling customer service, but they obviously haven't learned their lesson with this, because GamersNexus called them out on it a long time ago.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!