Need purchasing advice

GhostyDust
Hello,
I am a newbie to Audiophile gear and wanna break out with some new stuff. I do have some questions tho. So far, I have been looking into getting some Sennheiser HD650/HD600 (I am still determining) and either the JDS Atom stack or Schitt Magni/Modi.

Could I mix two inputs on these Dacs? I stream a lot, and combining Inputs from my computer and PS5 is vital to me. Is mixing inputs something the amp or DAC would do? If so, do all units have that functionality?
The second question is, would running a Y-spit from the output on the Amp lessen my quality? I would need to split so I can run my Playstation audio game to my Capture card (Because PS5 still does not support dual sound output, and running audio through the card reduces its $hit quality), and would there be any danger to running powered output to my card?

If you have any gear advice or suggestions, that would be great too

Thank you all so much for any information you can give.

Can't really answer your questions about the inputs and such but I can recommend the Hifiman Sundaras over the HD650s. Owned both but the Hifiman has superior comfort and for me even better sound quality. Good choice on the JDS or Schitt, I could'nt get those because I am in the EU and ended up with a Fiio K3S.

Both of the stacks are excellent options however neither of them will mix the sound like you are talking about.  Another piece of equipment is going to be required and I wouldn't know what that would be.

A powered feed from the amp to the capture card is a terrible idea if it is meant for line voltage.  You would want to take the signal from before the amplifier, directly from the dac if this is the case.  If you use a Y splitter here or what ever cabling is required, it will reduce volume of both the amplifier and the capture card input.

This is mostly out of my experience range.  You need to learn the difference between a line signal and a powered signal, know what everything requires and figure out how to get the correct signal to each device.

I could imagine some kind of sound mixer taking a line signal from the dac and the playstation then outputting it to the amp and capture card separately.  You're getting more into the production side of audio.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

i cant think of a consumer dac that can do that. you probably need an audio interface/mixer. i see online you can do it on the analog side with a combining cable which is what you might have been talking about. idk if it significantly degrades the audio or not 

On 2/27/2023 at 8:16 PM, GhostyDust said:
Hello,
I am a newbie to Audiophile gear and wanna break out with some new stuff. I do have some questions tho. So far, I have been looking into getting some Sennheiser HD650/HD600 (I am still determining) and either the JDS Atom stack or Schitt Magni/Modi.

Could I mix two inputs on these Dacs? I stream a lot, and combining Inputs from my computer and PS5 is vital to me. Is mixing inputs something the amp or DAC would do? If so, do all units have that functionality?
The second question is, would running a Y-spit from the output on the Amp lessen my quality? I would need to split so I can run my Playstation audio game to my Capture card (Because PS5 still does not support dual sound output, and running audio through the card reduces its $hit quality), and would there be any danger to running powered output to my card?

If you have any gear advice or suggestions, that would be great too

Thank you all so much for any information you can give.

I wouldnt bother wasting money on DACs in the terms of quality it changes very little compared to spending more on better headphones in the first place. ie $300 headphone +$300 dac and amps wont be as good as $600 headphones aslong as your sources are decent which most modern equipment they will be.

A passive Y split like that would half the volume so not recommended.

Yamaha make a little mixer aimed at streamers. AG06MK2

I think that should be able to do what you want. You can put in multiple inputs and then send multiple outputs to different places. But do your own research on it just to be sure as I'm not 100% sure it meats your requirements totally.