How Do You Determine Which GPU Board Partner/Model To Buy (4080/4090 In Current Case)

WarmEngine

Hey Everyone,

This is going to be my first serious GPU purchase so I'm a bit green on this topic.  I've googled a bit and searched YouTube but am probably just not using the right phrases to find the answer.

I'm looking at either purchasing a 4080 or 4090 right now (upgrading from a 3050 for MSFS among other AAA titles).

I know there's the FE of both then each board partner (MSI, Gigabybte, ASUS, PNY, etc) has them too of course but they also have multiple versions.  How do you determine which one to actually buy especially when the price is similar?  Obviously OC would probably make one better than the other.  I'm assuming reliability or build quality is one factor but where do I go for that information to compare them?  I know cooling options are different but what's better here (outside of water cooling) that makes one better at cooling than another?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Go online and check out reviews, preferably from the same creator. Also check which ones offer the best warranty, and factor that into your buying decision.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Any recommendations for ones that actually do reviews of each card?  Most of the ones I follow or have found seem to only look at 1-2 of each card (4080, 4090, etc).

2 minutes ago, WarmEngine said:

Any recommendations for ones that actually do reviews of each card?  Most of the ones I follow or have found seem to only look at 1-2 of each card (4080, 4090, etc).

Gamers Nexus tends to do pretty in-depth reviews from what I hear.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Gamers Nexus tends to do pretty in-depth reviews from what I hear.

I watch him just as much as Linus but unless I've missed a video (just searched again) I don't see him comparing the 10 or so 4080's against each other.  I don't even see individual videos except one for the 4080 vs 4090 FE cards he reviewed.  I could just be an idiot and missing the video if it exists though so please let me know 🙂

Check out reviews as others have said, if one model had an issue gamers nexus isn't afraid to put companies on the spot publicly and usually will address it at length, beyond that if there isn't any horrible known defects, the prices are around the same like within $50 and they'll all fit in your case it's basically choose the one you think looks cool, more fans equals better temperature which means more speed but mostly less noise if quiet running is important to you, if not just choose a cool one that will fit in your case,if you're not sure it'll fit come back here,link your case make and model with the GPU make and model, someone has the answer

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

it depends on price for me mostly but theres several criterias 

- size of the screen 

- cooling

- OC button 

- power consumption 

usually price, cooling,  power win out, but if money was no consideration it would be a Vulcan OC each time hands down.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

it depends on price for me mostly but theres several criterias 

- size of the screen 

- cooling

- OC button 

- power consumption 

usually price, cooling,  power win out, but if money was no consideration it would be a Vulcan OC each time hands down.  

I didn't even think that each one may have different power requirements.  Good call, thanks!

1 minute ago, WarmEngine said:

Good call, thanks!

yes, they do and it can be huge. so sometimes it means having to buy a new psu or not. and np!

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

yes, they do and it can be huge. so sometimes it means having to buy a new psu or not. and np!

I'm running a 650w PSU right now so upgrading PSU no matter what 4080 or 4090 I buy.

Here's the case since you mentioned it (Phanteks Metal Gear Neo Air).  If where I measured from is correct (inside of backplate) I have 355mm or so to the edge of the radiator so I'm guessing I would need to find a GPU under 345-350mm at max to fit inside this case.  The AIO hoses are my biggest concern since where they naturally rest is where the new GPU would be sitting obviously and depending on how wide the card is could push them against the glass.  There's plenty of room to sit in front of a card with a similar width to the current one though.

MG-NE520A Salestool - V2.0_0.jpg

IMG_9514.jpg

IMG_9487 (1).jpg

I lean towards going all out on a 4090 as the perfomance drops moving down the stack compared to the pricing make no sense.

4090 s expensive but compared to performance the other cards simply to do measure up. the price should reflect the drop in prformance but in my mind it simply does not.

I have a 3080 upgraded from a GTX 1080ti. I had the budget for a 3090 but the cost was too much for 13-15% average perfomance gains. this time around it is arse backwards. the 4090 for its price is an excellent card and all the 4080 4070 etc just do not reflect the costs to perfomance. Prices are still too high in my humble opinion.