R9 290 Tri-X vs PCS+

H4X3R

So i have a choice of either card. I watched an online review comparing the two and the tri x sounded a little quieter although the reviewer said they were same loud. I'd like to know which one you would recommend and WHY?

PS i'm looking at you PCS+ fanboy ;)

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I only know one true powercolor fanboy on this forum, but I'm sure he'll be there in a minute. :D

I had a sapphire tri-x card, an R9 280X, and it was loud as hell. May have gotten a bad one or maybe this is isolated to the R9 280X, but I wasn't too happy about the cooler.

I've seen quite a few people with the Tri-X, I've heard nothing but good things about Sapphire so I'd spend my money there.

If there really is not much difference, and you've had good experiences with Powercolor then go with them again.

#freeViney

Tri-X my mate has the 290x version and its a beast. 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Tri-X my mate has the 290x version and its a beast. 

I've seen quite a few people with the Tri-X, I've heard nothing but good things about Sapphire so I'd spend my money there.

If there really is not much difference, and you've had good experiences with Powercolor then go with them again.

#freeViney

I have never owned a powercolor card before but 2 family members use sapphire cards and they have been working out fine for them (except the vapor-x 280x which runs super loud).

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I have never owned a powercolor card before but 2 family members use sapphire cards and they have been working out fine for them (except the vapor-x 280x which runs super loud).

My cousin has a 7950 vapor X and doesn't have this issue, i think you got a shit card. 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

The PCS+ looks much better and from what I've heard, it's actually a really nice card (R9 290X). I don't exactly have the funds to go out and grab tons of cards to compare them personally but I will say that almost any cooler that isn't "basic" is as good as the next one. There's rarely much variation unless there's something wrong with the cooler's heatpipes or something, which doesn't affect noise levels. I've yet to see a cooler that can operate at 100% load at a significantly quieter noise level, pretty sure none exist (talking something like 28dB or lower).

Overclocking is where cards can differentiate a bit, but there's always that chance you get a shitty processor. Still, in most cases it's not noticeably different. My personal recommendation would be the PCS+ due to me being told how nice it is compared to Sapphire's R9 290X, on top of how great it looks. I think they did a great job on it.

If you want to be realistic, go with Gigabyte/EVGA always unless you want something like the Hall of Fame, Lightning, or w/e other series cards made purely for speedheads with money. That or just choose what you think looks good, they're really almost all the same.

So i have a choice of either card. I watched an online review comparing the two and the tri x sounded a little quieter although the reviewer said they were same loud. I'd like to know which one you would recommend and WHY?

PS i'm looking at you PCS+ fanboy ;)

The PCS+ is still the best R9 290 I have tested so far, so honestly, that's still the one I always tell people to get (if you can fit it in your case that is, its pretty huge).

My cousin has a 7950 vapor X and doesn't have this issue, i think you got a shit card.

The 7970/280x vapor-x is the on par with a reference r9 290 in terms of noise, both are super loud, its not that he got a shit card.

The 7970/280x vapor-x is the on par with a reference r9 290 in terms of noise, both are super loud, its not that he got a shit card.

I thought so, as reviews mentioned it.

The PCS+ is still the best R9 290 I have tested so far, so honestly, that's still the one I always tell people to get (if you can fit it in your case that is, its pretty huge).

Size is not an issue. Thank you for your input :)
Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I think he got shit card too, mine barely audible when gaming and no where close to the ref 290s noise level even on stress test.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I was sure I saw a review somewhere and it showed the 280x vapor-x as actually louder than the ref r9 290, but I cant find it.

I found this though, which shows the vapor-x going to 67db on load:

http://www.eteknix.com/sapphire-amd-radeon-r9-280x-vapor-x-oc-3gb-graphics-card-review/14/

Maybe you just got a really good one or something? because the one I test was super loud and every reviewer says there super loud

I think he got shit card too, mine barely audible when gaming and no where close to the ref 290s noise level even on stress test.

Maybe you got a good one? All the reviews done on the website i bought it from (indirectly, geizhals.at) suggest that the card is very loud.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I was sure I saw a review somewhere and it showed the 280x vapor-x as actually louder than the ref r9 290, but I cant find it.

I found this though, which shows the vapor-x going to 67db on load:

http://www.eteknix.com/sapphire-amd-radeon-r9-280x-vapor-x-oc-3gb-graphics-card-review/14/

Maybe you just got a really good one or something? because the one I test was super loud and every reviewer says there super loud

Hory shiet 67db, i can barely hear the fans when gaming over my CM Hyper 212x fan which is pretty quiet.

I am sure the 290 vapor x is silent, but i said "280x" not 290. It only uses 2 fans which really get loud at 60%. 

Yup, even over 55% is quite loud but mine never reach 50% when gaming.. max i've seen is 48%@65c overclocked.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Hory shiet 67db, i can barely hear the fans when gaming over my CM Hyper 212x fan which is pretty quiet.

Yup, even over 55% is quite loud but mine never reach 50% when gaming.. max i've seen is 48%@65c overclocked.

My bros is OCed (ofc i did all the work, he's just 13) to 1300mhz and memory is @ 1800mhz (its all stable) and using a custon fan curve the fans spin up to 60% and keep the card cooler than 60 degrees Celsius (i know it's low but my bro has fears (xD) and it's his card). I still think you got a good card.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

They are both good cards, it really comes down to price/brand preference/looks. If you match the clocks they will perform pretty much identically, cooling and noise is very similar and overclocking is variable within each brand. 

(I know this is for the 290X but it's a decent comparison of the coolers including videos)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/powercolor-pcs-r9-290x-graphics-card-review,3803-7.html

My bros is OCed (ofc i did all the work, he's just 13) to 1300mhz and memory is @ 1800mhz (its all stable) and using a custon fan curve the fans spin up to 60% and keep the card cooler than 60 degrees Celsius (i know it's low but my bro has fears (xD) and it's his card). I still think you got a good card.

Wut? I need prove if not i won't be able to go to sleep tonight. xD

Wut? I need prove if not i won't be able to go to sleep tonight. xD

When i can get on my bros computer i'll make a screenie. I did personally OC it, so i know it's true (is that a good overclock?). Not sure what time it is in malaysia right now (although i lived there for 4 years :) ) but i'll PM you ASAP.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

PCS+ ERMAHGERD

It's a better cooler design due to it being thicker (so more heatsink space), metal shroud is better build quality than orange plastic (which looks like Sapphire chose the cheapest plastic they could find), quieter fans, less coil whine.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

I only know one true powercolor fanboy on this forum, but I'm sure he'll be there in a minute. :D

I had a sapphire tri-x card, an R9 280X, and it was loud as hell. May have gotten a bad one or maybe this is isolated to the R9 280X, but I wasn't too happy about the cooler.

Sorry I'm late :)

PCS+ ERMAHGERD

It's a better cooler design due to it being thicker (so more heatsink space), metal shroud is better build quality than orange plastic (which looks like Sapphire chose the cheapest plastic they could find), quieter fans, less coil whine.

At least you came (as i expected ;) ) Do you have any proof to back up your claims? Looks like the PCS+ version is also missing some features such as UEFI BIOS (i am not sure, don't have the time to research) and a support bracket which would really help as it is pretty long and heavy.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

about time, there you are :D

At least you came (as i expected ;) ) Do you have any proof to back up your claims? Looks like the PCS+ version is also missing some features such as UEFI BIOS (i am not sure, don't have the time to research) and a support bracket which would really help as it is pretty long and heavy.

Their 7850 is UEFI, so I assume their R9 290  is as well :)

It has a backplate. And, what DOES come with a support bracket? It stays up completely fine in my case. plus, support brackets look ugly. Use fishing twine :)

When i can get on my bros computer i'll make a screenie. I did personally OC it, so i know it's true (is that a good overclock?). Not sure what time it is in malaysia right now (although i lived there for 4 years :) ) but i'll PM you ASAP.

Yes, 1300/1800 for 7950 is close to 780/290 stock performance. So far only achievable underwater.   ;)

Yes, 1300/1800 for 7950 is close to 780/290 stock performance. So far only achievable underwater.   ;)

I am using the 280x not the 7950 though :)

Their 7850 is UEFI, so I assume their R9 290  is as well :)

It has a backplate. And, what DOES come with a support bracket? It stays up completely fine in my case. plus, support brackets look ugly. Use fishing twine :)

Oh really? Well then i guess i have made up my mind, i'll get the sapphire tri x cooler. Thanks for helping me.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4