Is it worth switching from 1440p 32" 60Hz to 1080p 24" 120Hz for gaming?

KarthikMaddy

Laptop specs : Intel i5 8300H, 4GB Nvidia 1650, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
I recently got into casual gaming after a very long time. I play games like God of war, Assassins creed etc.. 
I sit at about 80cm away from the display. 

I know my laptop hardware is weak but if 1080p could squeeze out 10-20% more fps.. Is it worth the switch ? 

If you have no plans to upgrade your laptop, then why not.

Provided that you won't need to shell out more money, I'd look for trade ins or anyone who's willing to trade.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

Depends on what you value. As someone using 1080p 120hz right now and after seeing higher resolution displays, I almost wish I had a 1440p display. Though I'd easily just get a 1440p 144hz monitor, no 60hz for me. I also have seen 240hz monitors and how butter smooth they are, but I also know I like higher resolution if possible. At least with 1440p you can probably scale down the render resolution if you need more FPS.

Just as a sanity check I’d run the games at 1080p for a bit to see what kind of FPS your GPU can offer at that resolution.

The PPI of your 24" will be the exact same, so no loss in clarity technically but it's so much smaller

120hz is nice not gonna lie, so smooth. if you can sell and trade second hand I'd say go for it! and if it's only gaming.

But if you're spending money, I'd say just put your itch into something more productive, and save for a 1440p 144hz which is the sweet spot and a hardware upgrade if this all matters to you. OFC if saving is an option. If you're short on money then honestly save it!

I always find it hard to downgrade in terms of size. Rather save up a bit more money and get a 32" 1440p 144Hz monitor. Once you're used to 32", a 24" monitor probably won't make you happy, no matter how fast it is.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Since you're playing more sightseeing style games rather than competitive shooters, the higher resolution might be worth sticking with. Faster refresh rate will feel smoother both in games and in Windows though.