Is upgrading my Ryzen 3700x to a 5800x3d a worthwhile investment?

Yeroh

I‘ve recently bought an RX 6800 XT to upgrade my PC from 2019 and I‘m wondering whether upgrading the CPU alongside it would be worthwhile. I‘m currently using a Ryzen 7 3700X on an ASRock X570M Pro4 mATX, almost exclusively for gaming (1080p, though I‘ll probably upgrade to 1440p).

From what I‘ve read, the 5800X3D is universally recommended and it‘s the final processor generation that my current mainboard can support. Benchmarks seem to indicate that there is some performance to be gained, but these usually eliminate the GPU as a variable by using RTX 3090 test benches, which isn’t comparable to my situation. And at the end of the day it‘s a 340€ upgrade, so not exactly cheap.

Then there‘s also the fact that DDR5 might be a worthwhile investment, so maybe it would make more sense to save the money for now and spend it on an entirely new computer a few years down the road when my 3700x doesn‘t cut it anymore?

But I‘ve been out of the loop for a while, what do you think?

For Gaming in 1080P if you want MAX fps as an upgrade to your existing platform then yes, as for DDR5 stuff you would need to upgrade whole platform so mobo, ram and ofc CPU but I would hold on until 7XXX x3D CPUs for that.

But if you play on 60HZ monitor then no. (Unless you are Factorio freak) as for 1440p you have to check the benchmarks for your GPU.

R9 5900X, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2, 2x16GB Kingston FuryX 3800MHZ CL18 Hynix DJR "Tuned" , Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, Windows 11

Is the performance you're getting from your current CPU good enough for your needs? If so, no need to upgrade.

However, if you're noticing that the performance isn't as you expected, and your GPU isn't able to reach 99~100% usage, then it might be a good idea.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

I did exactly this upgrade and its been a treat, though in the same vein of what Igormp mentioned the reason I did it was due to some latency and 1% low/frame dropping issues in certain games and programs, I don't even have a GPU as fast as your 6800xt but I can say I definitely got more Avg fps in many of my games though sometimes the improvement is only seen in the 1% lows/frametimes but still a welcomed improvement better to have 55fps 1%Lows than 43fps 1%low, and the Majority of stutters are only a memory 

The main reason to get this chip is if your not ready to build a whole new rig but you still want to keep up with the hardware demands of games for the next few generations, which for me was the final deciding point, I have no interest in building with first gen on a new platform and I probably wont have the budget to build a new when the next gen of chips come out... my intention is to skip Am5 and intel equivalent so ill have a solid budget to do a nice build later 

It really depends on your wants and needs, are you getting solid performance, no hitching/lagging, latency issues, stutters that ruin the game? if not and everything is good, you can just enjoy what you have until you want/have the means to do a new build, unless your like me and wanting to skip the current platforms all together

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

4 hours ago, KnoT said:

For Gaming in 1080P if you want MAX fps as an upgrade to your existing platform then yes, as for DDR5 stuff you would need to upgrade whole platform so mobo, ram and ofc CPU but I would hold on until 7XXX x3D CPUs for that.

But if you play on 60HZ monitor then no. (Unless you are Factorio freak) as for 1440p you have to check the benchmarks for your GPU.

I don't want to bother with squeezing every last bit of performance out of my existing system, but if the 5800x3d would net me like a 10%+ improvement I'd consider it. From what I've seen in videos like this (comparing the 3700x vs 5800x3d), it seems to be possible to get that kind of improvement.

4 hours ago, igormp said:

Is the performance you're getting from your current CPU good enough for your needs? If so, no need to upgrade.

However, if you're noticing that the performance isn't as you expected, and your GPU isn't able to reach 99~100% usage, then it might be a good idea.

I can't really tell yet because the GPU hasn't arrived yet and the GTX 1070 that I'm using right now is more of a bottleneck when gaming. I will see what the performance figures look like when the new card arrives before I make a decision.

But to phrase the question a little differently, I was wondering whether the jump from Ryzen 3000 to 7000 / Intel 13th gen and from DDR4 to DDR5 is such a huge step that it would make sense to refrain from putting more money into the old AM4 system that I currently have. If the improvements are minor compared to what I have access to with my AM4 mainboard, then I'd be willing to spend the ~350€ on the 5800x3d to optimize my system on its current platform. But I wouldn't consider it if Ryzen 7000, Intel 13th Gen and DDR5 bring such substantial improvements to gaming performance that it means I'll probably have to upgrade to a newer platform to keep up with hardware demands from modern games.

3 hours ago, Ripred said:

I did exactly this upgrade and its been a treat, though in the same vein of what Igormp mentioned the reason I did it was due to some latency and 1% low/frame dropping issues in certain games and programs, I don't even have a GPU as fast as your 6800xt but I can say I definitely got more Avg fps in many of my games though sometimes the improvement is only seen in the 1% lows/frametimes but still a welcomed improvement better to have 55fps 1%Lows than 43fps 1%low, and the Majority of stutters are only a memory 

The main reason to get this chip is if your not ready to build a whole new rig but you still want to keep up with the hardware demands of games for the next few generations, which for me was the final deciding point, I have no interest in building with first gen on a new platform and I probably wont have the budget to build a new when the next gen of chips come out... my intention is to skip Am5 and intel equivalent so ill have a solid budget to do a nice build later 

It really depends on your wants and needs, are you getting solid performance, no hitching/lagging, latency issues, stutters that ruin the game? if not and everything is good, you can just enjoy what you have until you want/have the means to do a new build, unless your like me and wanting to skip the current platforms all together

I appreciate the input, thanks! The optimization of my current platform is what's tempting me. If the 5800x3d would allow me to game in decent quality for the next three or so years, I'd consider it a worthwhile investment. I'd just want to avoid spending 350€ on a new CPU if I'm going to have to go for a newer DDR5 system (and a newer socket) to keep up with recent games in a year or two, anyway.

I mean, I realize that no one can say for certain since new technology (and new games utilizing these technologies) arrive all the time, but usually you can get a feeling for it, right? So I guess that's the sort of input I'm looking for. How long do you expect to keep the 5800x3d and get good use out of it?

2 minutes ago, Yeroh said:

I can't really tell yet because the GPU hasn't arrived yet and the GTX 1070 that I'm using right now is more of a bottleneck when gaming. I will see what the performance figures look like when the new card arrives before I make a decision.

But to phrase the question a little differently, I was wondering whether the jump from Ryzen 3000 to 7000 / Intel 13th gen and from DDR4 to DDR5 is such a huge step that it would make sense to refrain from putting more money into the old AM4 system that I currently have. If the improvements are minor compared to what I have access to with my AM4 mainboard, then I'd be willing to spend the ~350€ on the 5800x3d to optimize my system on its current platform. But I wouldn't consider it if Ryzen 7000, Intel 13th Gen and DDR5 only bring negligible improvements to gaming performance. Especially considering that it seems they're priced pretty high right now.

Even if the performance increase is meaningful when looking at benchmarks or raw numbers, it may be not worth a damn for you in the end.

Let's say you have a 144hz monitor, your 3700x only nets you 100fps due do a bottleneck, a 5800x3d manages to give you 160fps, and a 13900k gives you 250fps. The first upgrade was nice and gave you performance that meets your needs, but the second one, even though it provides a really nice jump, won't offer any tangible benefit.

Anyhow, if you do indeed feel like you're being bottlenecked after you get your GPU, I'd say to just go for a 5800x3d and way until the entire DDR5 ecossystem is more mature and cheaper.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

26 minutes ago, Yeroh said:

I don't want to bother with squeezing every last bit of performance out of my existing system, but if the 5800x3d would net me like a 10%+ improvement I'd consider it. From what I've seen in videos like this (comparing the 3700x vs 5800x3d), it seems to be possible to get that kind of improvement.

But to phrase the question a little differently, I was wondering whether the jump from Ryzen 3000 to 7000 / Intel 13th gen and from DDR4 to DDR5 is such a huge step that it would make sense to refrain from putting more money into the old AM4 system that I currently have. If the improvements are minor compared to what I have access to with my AM4 mainboard, then I'd be willing to spend the ~350€ on the 5800x3d to optimize my system on its current platform. But I wouldn't consider it if Ryzen 7000, Intel 13th Gen and DDR5 bring such substantial improvements to gaming performance that it means I'll probably have to upgrade to a newer platform to keep up with hardware demands from modern games.

I appreciate the input, thanks! The optimization of my current platform is what's tempting me. If the 5800x3d would allow me to game in decent quality for the next three or so years, I'd consider it a worthwhile investment. I'd just want to avoid spending 350€ on a new CPU if I'm going to have to go for a newer DDR5 system (and a newer socket) to keep up with recent games in a year or two, anyway.

I mean, I realize that no one can say for certain since new technology (and new games utilizing these technologies) arrive all the time, but usually you can get a feeling for it, right? So I guess that's the sort of input I'm looking for. How long do you expect to keep the 5800x3d and get good use out of it?

Atleast until second gen chips come out for AM6, AMD says they'll support AM5 until 2025 and generations usually come out yearly or biyearly so I figure 2027 ish Ill be doing/planning my next upgrade/Bulld and since the X3D keeps up with current gen no problem, 2027 is probably when ill feel like I'm falling behind rough estimate, depending on my needs unless there some major hardware/software development breakthrough comes along (doubt it because all these companies put profit margins before progress)

Also by that time even if my 5800x3d is falling behind Ill still be able to upgrade to a 4K monitor Drop in a BFGPU pushing the heavy work to the graphics and maybe get away without building a new system until 2029 🤣

Edited by Ripred

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

Any step up from a 3000 to 5000 Ryzen is meaningful. It all comes down to how much money you have on hand. On the one hand you know that AM4 is a dead platform, so any upgrade is a stopgap measure for the next few years.  That being said I would honestly go for the best bang for the buck be that the 5700x or 5800x or the 5800x3D. Honestly it's a bit overvalued, I paid about 90euros more for mine then I had for my 5800X luckily I managed to sell the old one. If you want to get the most FPS in games out of your system and those games benefit form the x3D's extra cache then it's worth considering, if not you may want to stick with the 5700X/5800X 

I have a 5800x3d with a 6800xt and all I can say is do the upgrade, I play at 1440p I upgraded from a 3900x and I noticed the upgrade on loads of games. Specially on star citizen, Be aware its a hot boy, it will get hot, if you have a msi board just turn on Kombo strike if not you can use pbotweak2 and lowe the curve to -30 and you actually get lower temps and better clocks, 

Mine is actually OC to 4750 all core with BCLK. For what you pay for the upgrade it will be way less then upgrading to anything better for gaming. 

• 4 months later...

Will revive this THREAD a little bit. 😬

Just got a 7900 XT Nitro+ , a beast of a card if you ask me, combined with a 3700x. 

Question is: Should i upgrade to a 5800x3d or wait maybe it out a little bit and upgrade later down the road to AM5 ? As i feel like the 5800x3d might bottle neck the 7900XT ( I play 1440p)

9 minutes ago, e4r33d said:

Will revive this THREAD a little bit. 😬

Just got a 7900 XT Nitro+ , a beast of a card if you ask me, combined with a 3700x. 

Question is: Should i upgrade to a 5800x3d or wait maybe it out a little bit and upgrade later down the road to AM5 ? As i feel like the 5800x3d might bottle neck the 7900XT ( I play 1440p)

It will likely bottleneck it at higher framerates, but is it making it uncomfortable/unplayable for you? If not, there's no reason to do this chage.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

You will notice a solid bump going from Zen 2 to 3 for sure, let alone it’s gaming prowess.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's