i3 1080p video editing

5 minutes ago, Commander_Dork said:

I’m curious whether my i3 12100 can do video editing or if I should upgrade to an i5 12100 

if you already has a i3 12100 The i5 12400 isnt a Worthy upgrade. What motherboard do you have and whats your budget

Can it do it? Probably. Will it do it fast? No. Fun little video below of someone rendering a video with the i3 

10 minutes ago, Gokul_P said:

if you already has a i3 12100 The i5 12400 isnt a Worthy upgrade. What motherboard do you have and whats your budget

Unfortunately when I built my pc I had no intention of upgrading the cpu past an i5 as I only do casual gaming so I went with an Asus TuffGaming b660m would a nonk i7 be fine tho? It was my understanding that if I wanted to go i7 I should have a Zseries motherboard 

I used to edit YouTube videos using an i5 4440. There was some occasional choppy behavior in the editor, and the render times were long, but it got the job done.

If this is for a hobby, I think an i3 12100 is fine. If this is for work, you should get something beefier.

1 minute ago, Commander_Dork said:

Unfortunately when I built my pc I had no intention of upgrading the cpu past an i5 as I only do casual gaming so I went with an Asus TuffGaming b660m would a nonk i7 be fine tho? It was my understanding that if I wanted to go i7 I should have a Zseries motherboard 

That board would be a great one for upgrading to an i7. The Asus TUF B660M is an excellent B660 board - it's VRMs are solid. You could upgrade to a Core i7 13700 with a BIOS update and it should do fine..

You don't need a Z series board for higher end chips or even K series chips, you just won't be able to overclock without a Z series chipset.

2 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

I used to edit YouTube videos using an i5 4440. There was some occasional choppy behavior in the editor, and the render times were long, but it got the job done.

If this is for a hobby, I think an i3 12100 is fine. If this is for work, you should get something beefier.

Yeah I’m just trying to learn video editing 

4 minutes ago, Commander_Dork said:

You dont need a Z series motherboard if you are not going to Overclock so You can run i7 or even i9 in B 670 board if it is for work the best recommendation will be i5 13600K or i7 13700K

Do you already have this system? If you do why not just start using it? Most editing programs have a free trial, and if performance is an issue, you can upgrade.

But basic 1080p editing can be done on almost any system these days and its plenty to learn on .