What linux distro should my friend use?

Go to solution Solved by Minystreem,

I'm going to close this

My friend wants to use linux, he has a RX6600, for a GPU and he only plays minecraft. He is pretty tech savy and programs a lot, but he is used to using windows. 

Some coolish person who likes to make stuff

I'd suggest Pop_OS for starters, later he'll probably wants to "upgrade" to Mint or Ubuntu.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

is there any cons for POP os

5 minutes ago, Minystreem said:

is there any cons for POP os

Depends on what you'd consider cons. Stuff that is working perfectly fine may appear as a con to you if it is something you're not used to.

Ubuntu and PopOS are perfectly fine beginner distros. The one con I can think of would be that most tutorials are using Ubuntu, since it's the more well known distro. The primary advantage it has is that it's easier to install proprietary GPU drivers, which you don't really need with an AMD GPU.

For programming it really depends what programming languages your friend is using. I prefer to program on macOS and Linux because of the (imho) much better terminal, but I'm programming for Android (Java/Kotlin) and server software (Java). If he's used to e.g. C# for Windows apps, that might be a different story.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

4 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Depends on what you'd consider cons. Stuff that is working perfectly fine may appear as a con to you if it is something you're not used to.

Ubuntu and PopOS are perfectly fine beginner distros. The one con I can think of would be that most tutorials are using Ubuntu, since it's the more well known distro. The primary advantage it has is that it's easier to install proprietary GPU drivers, which you don't really need with an AMD GPU.

For programming it really depends what programming languages your friend is using. I prefer to program on macOS and Linux because of the (imho) much better terminal, but I'm programming for Android (Java/Kotlin) and server software (Java). If he's used to e.g. C# for Windows apps, that might be a different story.

I think I'll have him use ubuntu, I can just install the drivers from amd.com, right? 

5 minutes ago, Minystreem said:

I think I'll have him use ubuntu, I can just install the drivers from amd.com, right? 

No, you want the MESA drivers, not the official ones. 

1 minute ago, Minystreem said:

You should not need to download/install any driver at all. The open source driver (for AMD) is part of the Linux kernel, so it should just work. Otherwise, you can download the "Ubuntu" driver from here: https://www.amd.com/de/support/graphics/amd-radeon-6000-series/amd-radeon-6600-series/amd-radeon-rx-6600

You can't use Windows drivers (for any hardware), so if you have hardware that's not supported by Linux directly or doesn't offer Linux drivers on their homepage, you're out of luck.

Just now, WereCat said:

No, you want the MESA drivers, not the official ones. 

Are they better , I'v never had a amd gpu, I'v only used a quadro on home server

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

You should not need to download/install any driver at all. The open source driver (for AMD) is part of the Linux kernel, so it should just work. Otherwise, you can download the "Ubuntu" driver from here: https://www.amd.com/de/support/graphics/amd-radeon-6000-series/amd-radeon-6600-series/amd-radeon-rx-6600

You can't use Windows drivers (for any hardware), so if you have hardware that's not supported by Linux directly or doesn't offer Linux drivers on their homepage, you're out of luck.

Yea I know

1 minute ago, Minystreem said:

Are they better , I'v never had a amd gpu, I'v only used a quadro on home server

They work just fine and there's no need to update them manually since they are part of the kernel. So simply less work.

I have an RX 6600 and I'm using Manjaro, so my built-in drivers are likely somewhat newer, but I have no issues playing games that work on Linux. So there's simply no need to manually download anything.

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

They work just fine and there's no need to update them manually since they are part of the kernel. So simply less work.

I have an RX 6600 and I'm using Manjaro, so my built-in drivers are likely somewhat newer, but I have no issues playing games that work on Linux. So there's simply no need to manually download anything.

Nice, Thanks for the help!

Linux Mint. Been running it on a machine at home and it's very slick. I like the cinnamon desktop better than default Ubuntu, but the OS itself is based on Ubuntu so it's similarly ez to set up and super easy to find a guide for anything you need to do. App manager seems to roll flatpak in by default so I've been able to find every app I searched for in the app store. Been quite impressed by how doable everything is via GUI alone, I have had 0 actual need to use the command line for anything. So I'd say it should be very welcoming to a new user.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

34 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Linux Mint. Been running it on a machine at home and it's very slick. I like the cinnamon desktop better than default Ubuntu,

Exactly as said. Of the over 50 installations I've done, all are Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop.

Users who were using Windows one day and fully using Linux the next without finding any problems.

OK, not quite correct. They were finding NO problems that they were finding with Windows.

Linux - simply reliable and dependable when Windows/Microsoft isn't

20 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

I'd suggest Pop_OS for starters, later he'll probably wants to "upgrade" to Mint or Ubuntu.

Why is mint or Ubuntu an upgrade from PopOS?

On 2/8/2023 at 3:58 PM, 10leej said:

Why is mint or Ubuntu an upgrade from PopOS?

You want to use a distro with a bigger user base. It will make it much easier to search for a solution of something goes wrong

3 hours ago, Alexeygridnev1993 said:

You want to use a distro with a bigger user base. It will make it much easier to search for a solution of something goes wrong

As Alexeygridnev1993 says, there is a very good discussion forum for Mint.

On 2/7/2023 at 12:20 PM, Minystreem said:

My friend wants to use linux, he has a RX6600, for a GPU and he only plays minecraft. He is pretty tech savy and programs a lot, but he is used to using windows. 

Suggest your friend give Mint a try.  Kinda has a start menu like Windows so it seems more familiar.   c1.jpg

RTX 3080Ti Ryzen 5 3600 MSI Gaming Edge WiFi 32Gb DDR4 3600 

I'd recommend pop if on newer hardware, since System76 sells desktops and laptops their inclined to work harder for new hardware.

Otherwise anything Ubuntu based is best for beginners because anything you search help wise for Ubuntu typically still applies and makes finding solutions to any issues easier. 

Plus 1 from me for Ubuntu.

Sure wish it had been an option back when I had first tried Linux. Red Hat 3.1.2, I think, was my first foray into Linux.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

On 2/7/2023 at 1:20 PM, Minystreem said:

Pop!_OS or Mint, I vote Pop_OS for him.

I'm don't want awnsers anymore.