What will happen if the earth stopped spinning?

dounuts97

So...just like what  the topic 

HTTP 404 = Server cannot be reached please try again later, try refreshing(F5) the page or re-enable your wireless

Well we'd all have a pretty bad time and most of us would die a slow death :D

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Half the earth will get baked and the other half will get frozen and before that climate change will kill everything that moves.

no magnetic field, we will die....

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

Half the earth will get baked and the other half will get frozen and before that climate change will kill everything that moves.

sooo your saying one half of the world would be stoned out of their mind and the other half wouldnt?

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Well half the earth would be able to go clubing all night (GET IT) and the other side could go to the beach all day every day. win win really

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

Time to get the fuck off of the earth essentially... 

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

Judgement day.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

If it stopped instantly, we would all fly off of it.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

If it stopped instantly, we would all fly off of it.

If gravity stopped being applied to the Earth, sure x3

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

If gravity stopped being applied to the Earth, sure x3

If it stopped spinning instantly gravity wouldn't be enough to keep us on the surface.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

LETS TRY

Oh wait...

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

sooo your saying one half of the world would be stoned out of their mind and the other half wouldnt?

Baked as in an oven my friend ~ it wasn't a reference to narcotics abuse.

Baked as in an oven my friend ~ it wasn't a reference to narcotics abuse.

way to kill the buzz i was just making a stoner joke its off topic no need to get so up tight about it

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

no magnetic field, we will die....

We'd actually be fine as long as the molten core kept swirling.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

If it stopped spinning instantly gravity wouldn't be enough to keep us on the surface.

Yeah it would be, you're not going to fling off at two hundred thousand miles an hour you know, you're stuck to the surface of the sphere and immersed in a layer of gasses. That thing comes to a halt and you might not even notice besides the violent winds. Hell even if you DID ping off you'd come crashing down in no time without sustained thrust.

Yeah it would be, you're not going to fling off at two hundred thousand miles an hour you know, you're stuck to the surface of the sphere and immersed in a layer of gasses. That thing comes to a halt and you might not even notice besides the violent winds. Hell even if you DID ping off you'd come crashing down in no time without sustained thrust.

Earth spins at 1000-1700km/h an hour, if it stopped in one second we would all die instantly. We would probably stay in the atmosphere, but not close to the ground.

Spoiler

Earth spins at 1000-1700km/h an hour, if it stopped in one second we would all die instantly. We would probably stay in the atmosphere, but not close to the ground.

That only works on a much smaller scale without a massive atmosphere. And a second is literally impossible.

For short, one side of the planet have Sun and the other half don't, Also if the Earth stopped rotating that means that the Gravitational pull from the sun doesn't work and we would Float Endlessly Through space since there is No Friction there(this is not 100% true since other planets have Gravitatinal pull aswell) in other terms we would be Death before we know it :P

Rotation of the Earth has nothing to do with gravity from the sun...

That only works on a much smaller scale without a massive atmosphere.

No it doesn't, if the earth stopped spinning instantly everything on it would keep moving at the same speed, including the atmosphere.

Spoiler

No it doesn't, if the earth stopped spinning instantly everything on it would keep moving at the same speed, including the atmosphere.

Yeah, and then come to a relative halt very quickly. No one is leaving bloody orbit you madman.

Yeah, and then come to a relative halt very quickly. No one is leaving bloody orbit you madman.

My point still stands, we would fly off. Not to space, but we would. And die too.

Spoiler

At the transition between dark and light side, life may still be possible. But this is somewhat random to consider as it simply cannot happen physically.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

My point still stands, we would fly off. Not to space, but we would. And die too.

Entirely not the point, you said we'd all fly away off of the planet NO BACKSIES :P

AMD will release a low heat, high performance CPU.

Or maybe that causes the earth to stop spinning

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

Entirely not the point, you said we'd all fly away off of the planet NO BACKSIES :P

I said we would fly off of the earth. Not to space.

Spoiler