What will happen if the earth stopped spinning?

dounuts97

Someone will get really hot and someone will get really cold

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

If the Earth stopped spinning the magnetic firld will degrade into nothing, gravity will drastically decrease so it can be safe to assume that we won't be feeling too good.

Bad time would be the least of your worries :P

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

If the Earth stopped spinning the magnetic firld will degrade into nothing, gravity will drastically decrease so it can be safe to assume that we won't be feeling too good.

Bad time would be the least of your worries :P

Gravity would not decrease... What even gave you that idea? It's not like earth would lose a fuckton of mass or anything.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Gravity would not decrease... What even gave you that idea? It's not like earth would lose a fuckton of mass or anything.

I thought gravity was caused my mass and rotation of the body?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

instant death for everyone, the earth is spinning at over 1000mph. If it stopped(immediately) our bodies and buildings and everything on the planet wouldn't stop. Shit would get wrecked and those of us who weren't killed by something that hits us would be killed a split second later by the overwhelming G forces that would tear us to pieces. The very crust of the earth would be ripped up and flung about like it was no more than bread crumbs.

Basically the worse imaginable way to die.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I dunno, I would assume the tides would be affected at the very least, tsunamis? Maybe earthquakes if it stopped suddenly.

Can't be a good thing anyways.

I thought gravity was caused my mass and rotation of the body?

No. Just mass. Rotation would do very little to effect the pull of gravity. If anything, gravity would be slightly stronger due to the lack of centripetal force.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

no magnetic field, we will die....

If it stopped instantly, we would all fly off of it.

Oh man I can tell this thread will be full of scientific inaccuracies soon.

For the first the magnetic field comes from the iron core of the earth so that is the only thing that matters. But if the core stopped moving (which is impossible since the core moves by metals heating up and cooling down increasing and increasing in density displacing the stuff around it) than the magnetic field would go bye bye.

Also if we were all hurled into the air we would not leave the atmosphere due to gravity and air resistance slowing us down along the way. However I would feel very sorry for the people unfortunate enough to be inside a building when the planet stopped suddenly.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

No. Just mass. Rotation would do very little to effect the pull of gravity. If anything, gravity would be slightly stronger due to the lack of centripetal force.

Ahh makes sense well it has been a few years since I was at school, I'm sure we've covered this in science before

Edit: Nevermind. Not thinking. :lol:

Oh man I can tell this thread will be full of scientific inaccuracies soon.

For the first the magnetic field comes from the iron core of the earth so that is the only thing that matters. But if the core stopped moving (which is impossible since the core moves by metals heating up and cooling down increasing and increasing in density displacing the stuff around it) than the magnetic field would go bye bye.

Also if we were all hurled into the air we would not leave the atmosphere due to gravity and air resistance slowing us down along the way. However I would feel very sorry for the people unfortunate enough to be inside a building when the planet stopped suddenly.

Actually, gravity does involve earth's rotation: http://image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/ask/q1168.html

See the last paragraph.

That should also answer your question OP.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Oh w8 you guys were talking about the Rotation I thought you guys meant the rotation of Earth around the Sun... :$

Still if anything, when the earth stopped rotating around the sun, it would fall into it. Since orbiting is just falling indefinitely...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Aliens will invade from the sky and Shadow the hedgehog will save the day

Oh w8 you guys were talking about the Rotation I thought you guys meant the rotation of Earth around the Sun... :$

The earth rotates on its axis, it revolves around the sun.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

well assuming th planet still staying on orbit somehot these things could happen:

• winds would die down.
  • constant heat on one side & freezing cold on the other,
  • polarcaps would melt ,
  • since there is no under water current the ocean becomes stagnant (slowly ofcource until the temp difference evens out)
  • lil wayne would pull his pants up
  • Ocean level rises flooding major cities
  • all aquatic life start to die down as its stagnant
  • inadvertantly the moon will be thrown off the orbit and the tide difference would lead to a single tsunami event
  • toshiba will use it as an excuse to raise hdd price
  • miley cyrus will be asked to increase her tweking to get the planet to start orbiting by force again
  • wild life would probably die out due to diminished aquatic life
  • since there is no wind pollination would end up as bee's jobs
  • and as soon as the bees die life would be over in about 2-6 months (no pun ,actual theorey around bees)

rumor ninja :ph34r:

Details separate people.