Can't access homemade NAS on Wi-Fi

loganv2003

I have recently made a nas. im running true nas (im very new to all this)

I can access my nas from any device wired into the network but when on Wifi I can't access it.

I can still access the 192.XXX.X.X online but can't access in file explorer

I've linked a drawing of the network setup please let me know if you have any ideas

Untitled.png

6 hours ago, loganv2003 said:

I have recently made a nas. im running true nas (im very new to all this)

I can access my nas from any device wired into the network but when on Wifi I can't access it.

I can still access the 192.XXX.X.X online but can't access in file explorer

I've linked a drawing of the network setup please let me know if you have any ideas

Untitled.png

Looks like your double NATed. 

If your modem has multiple Ethernet ports, that means it’s also a router… so you need to put it into bridge mode so it works only as a modem, and then plug only the main google Wifi pick into it the one that actually works as the router). From there, you plug all things into the google Wifi (you will need to add a switch to make it so the hue controller can be connected, or move the controller upstairs and plug it into the 2.5G switch. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

On 2/5/2023 at 8:38 AM, LIGISTX said:

Looks like your double NATed. 

If your modem has multiple Ethernet ports, that means it’s also a router… so you need to put it into bridge mode so it works only as a modem, and then plug only the main google Wifi pick into it the one that actually works as the router). From there, you plug all things into the google Wifi (you will need to add a switch to make it so the hue controller can be connected, or move the controller upstairs and plug it into the 2.5G switch. 

Its not a router just a modem, I don't have them all routed through the google wifi because it doesn't support 2.5gbe out

28 minutes ago, loganv2003 said:

Its not a router just a modem, I don't have them all routed through the google wifi because it doesn't support 2.5gbe out

You can't have a modem with multiple Ethernet ports... unless its also a router.

You need to put everything behind a single router, or else they will all be on separate subnets, and will be blocked from seeing eachtother by the router firewalls between everything.

Also... if the modem wasn't also a router, your 2.5 GB switch wouldn't work, because everything behind it would end up with the same IP which obviously is going to be an issue.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

what network are your wired devices on, and what network are your wireless? 

I'm assuming that theyre different networks (e.g 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x), and theyre unaware of whats on the other network. 

But yeah as @LIGISTX pointed out, you're running 2 routers; while you can have multiple networks you need routes between them which you probably cant do with this setup. Double NAT shouldnt block traffic between the networks but it will cause performance issues. It will also give you issues forwarding external to things on the Google Nest network. 

The easiest solution is if you're on fiber, just remove the Telus modem all together and use the Google Nest. But if youre on xDSL or Cable that needs the modem, then bridge the Telus router to the Google Nest Pro preferably. Then your Google Nest will do all the routing and will run DHCP handing out IP's for your entire network, rather than both routers trying to do this. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

8 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Double NAT shouldnt block traffic between the networks

It would block traffic, the firewall would block anything on the WAN side of the second router,  anything on the “nest Wifi 2” won’t be able to talk to anything else except for things on the Wifi 2’s subnet, and same goes for Wifi 1, seeding as the ISP’s router will also have its own subnet (maybe the best Wifi 1 and 2 are on the same subnet since the Wifi pro I believe only has 1 pick capable of being a router, the second one I assume is not actually using the Ethernet for backhaul since it would see a different subnet then Wifi 1). 

Basically, @loganv2003 you need to get everything behind a single router as I mentioned previously, or you will continue to have the issues you are seeing where Wifi devices can’t talk to wires device and vice versa. That is the exact expected behavior given the setup that you have… basically, it’s working exactly how it should be - firewalls are doing their job and blocking your devices from one another. 

One more thing @loganv2003, the wired network will still operate at 2.5 gb since packets on the same subnet don’t require going back to the router, the switch can switch them internally from switch port to switch port. 

Your internet will be capped at 1 gigabit tho, as the google Wifi will limit things going in and out the WAN to 1 gigabit. But… that’s probably fine. 

12 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

You can't have a modem with multiple Ethernet ports... unless its also a router.

You need to put everything behind a single router, or else they will all be on separate subnets, and will be blocked from seeing eachtother by the router firewalls between everything.

Also... if the modem wasn't also a router, your 2.5 GB switch wouldn't work, because everything behind it would end up with the same IP which obviously is going to be an issue.

im literally doing this with my telus provided gateway, i just put it into bridge mode.  two ports in use, each of those two devices gets a public IP 

1 hour ago, derr12 said:

im literally doing this with my telus provided gateway, i just put it into bridge mode.  two ports in use, each of those two devices gets a public IP 

If it’s IPV6, I suppose that is possible. I am much less familiar with IPV6 networking since here in the US, that mostly doesn’t exist yet. 

That said, you would still have issues talking across the subnets in OP’s layout. Everything in the WAN side of the google Wifi router will be firewalled off from the LAN side. 

17 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

If it’s IPV6, I suppose that is possible. I am much less familiar with IPV6 networking since here in the US, that mostly doesn’t exist yet. 

That said, you would still have issues talking across the subnets in OP’s layout. Everything in the WAN side of the google Wifi router will be firewalled off from the LAN side. 

im getting ipv4 addresses from mine, but you are correct.  OP's configuration is culprit here. 

6 minutes ago, derr12 said:

im getting ipv4 addresses from mine, but you are correct.  OP's configuration is culprit here. 

If you get IPV4… then you need a router attached to both of those ports to turn public IPV4 into private IPV4 and actually do routing….. And then you once again have a split up set of devices across different subnets (devices hanging off modem port 1 can’t talk to devices on modem port 2, and vice versa.

Unless you have a specific reason to do so (walling off IoT devices for instance), you never want a home network to be split across multiple subnets which is what happens if you use multiple routers. 

22 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

If you get IPV4… then you need a router attached to both of those ports to turn public IPV4 into private IPV4 and actually do routing….. And then you once again have a split up set of devices across different subnets (devices hanging off modem port 1 can’t talk to devices on modem port 2, and vice versa.

Unless you have a specific reason to do so (walling off IoT devices for instance), you never want a home network to be split across multiple subnets which is what happens if you use multiple routers. 

in my case, i had one going to my router, and one going to a VM via a NIC passthru. In another use case i could have a router for me and a router for my basement tenants so we would keep our own shenanigan's to ourselves.