Would a 500w power Supply Work for my build?

m37

my build has an i5 8400, rx 6600, 4 drives, and 32gb ram with a z chipset motherboard, would this be enough because i won't over clock the GPU only turbo the CPU to 4ghz? 

8 minutes ago, m37 said:

my build has an i5 8400, rx 6600, 4 drives, and 32gb ram with a z chipset motherboard, would this be enough because i won't over clock the GPU only turbo the CPU to 4ghz? 

What psu exactly?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

just bought it because it is cheap and from watching videos on psu ik that the rating doesnt rlly matter but i also think it might me less

6 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

It's cheap because it's junk. Take a look at https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/ and you'll see TT Smart 80+ is in the 'replace immediately' Tier F. With an RX 6600 inside the case I would not go lower than Tier B.

refers to the rbg version

16 minutes ago, m37 said:

refers to the rbg version

To the non RGB and RGB.

17 minutes ago, m37 said:

c tier is what its in

It's not. A groupregulated unit never can be in Tier C. Tier D at best and Smart 80+ is Tier F.

1 minute ago, --SID-- said:

To the non RGB and RGB.

It's not. A groupregulated unit never can be in Tier C. Tier D at best and Smart 80+ is Tier F.

i mean, it should work condiering non of my parts arepowerful

If you want to take the risk of using a junk PSU with your other hardware than it's up to you. I don't recommand it because Smart 80+ is bad quality, bad voltage regulation and bad or even missing essential protections.

8 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

If you want to take the risk of using a junk PSU with your other hardware than it's up to you. I don't recommand it because Smart 80+ is bad quality, bad voltage regulation and bad or even missing essential protections.

"junk"

9 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

seen reviews of people using it with 3060 and r5 for 2 years no problems

Read this to understand PSU and you will understand why the details matter 

I'd only use cheap or outdated PSU if it is an old PC and I actually look for an excuse to buy new parts 🙂

Now every new PSU will be tier A or B, even when I only have iGPU and don't OC.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

4 hours ago, Lurking said:

Read this to understand PSU and you will understand why the details matter 

I'd only use cheap or outdated PSU if it is an old PC and I actually look for an excuse to buy new parts 🙂

Now every new PSU will be tier A or B, even when I only have iGPU and don't OC.

i do i have an 8th gen cpu and a weak gpu sso i though it woulda been enough

7 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Do you come here to teach us a lesson or do you come here for good advice? I know you don't want to hear you bought a piece of crap but it is what it is.

i am srry for disrespect but i think that is literally how i felt XD

57 minutes ago, m37 said:

i do i have an 8th gen cpu and a weak gpu sso i though it woulda been enough

I took from the "101" that it isn't just the power in W, it is the quality of power (ripples, stability) and protection features and longevity you get with a better PSU Plus efficiency and low noise. I only have iGPU systems and am gradually upgrading my PCs to PSUs that are suitable for light gaming PCs since the lower wattage units all seem to be garbage. Overkill? Maybe. The more I learn about PSUs, the more I question my past choices. 

But you can buy a good PSU now and be fine. Or you buy a good PSU next year, and a new MB since that cheap PSU killed the MB while it died. And maybe other components as well. 

Hope that PSU at least has all the right connectors. I just took out an old PSU and realized all those years I ran my MB that has 8-pin CPU connection with only a 4-pin plug since that ancient PSU didn't have more. Don't do that, especially on a somewhat better system. 

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

4 minutes ago, Lurking said:

I took from the "101" that it isn't just the power in W, it is the quality of power (ripples, stability) and protection features and longevity you get with a better PSU Plus efficiency and low noise. I only have iGPU systems and am gradually upgrading my PCs to PSUs that are suitable for light gaming PCs since the lower wattage units all seem to be garbage. Overkill? Maybe. The more I learn about PSUs, the more I question my past choices. 

But you can buy a good PSU now and be fine. Or you buy a good PSU next year, and a new MB since that cheap PSU killed the MB while it died. And maybe other components as well. 

Hope that PSU at least has all the right connectors. I just took out an old PSU and realized all those years I ran my MB that has 8-pin CPU connection with only a 4-pin plug since that ancient PSU didn't have more. Don't do that, especially on a somewhat better system. 

i did check that it has the right connecetorts, but imma return it, sell some of my funko pop sand pokemon cards and i should be able to arrod a broinze psu but imm have to go no case XD

3 hours ago, m37 said:

i did check that it has the right connecetorts, but imma return it, sell some of my funko pop sand pokemon cards and i should be able to arrod a broinze psu but imm have to go no case XD

80+ rating has nothing to do with quality. But most quality PSU nowadays are Gold or higher. So I really would be suspicious if a PSU is Bronze these days. I recently bought this Asus Strix for $95. it is based on the Focus. That or something similar will not break the bank but also not kill your system and will last many systems. and I'm not making a statement about the wattage you need, just the quality. I just assumed 500W is enough for you, but smarter people may know better. 

BTW, this seems to be amore updated Tier list. I'd pick some from Tier A, find the ones that offer good prices, and then google for tear-down reviews like from Tomshardware. Once you narrowed it down and still have questions, just ask here again and someone with knowledge can give even more detailed advice. 

Edit: I'm not affiliated with Asus....

But their 550W Strix ROG PSU just dropped to $82 and I bought one (my second one already) If 550W is good enough for you, this likely is one of the best deals these days for an excellent PSU. Silent, has all electricals in order, 10 year warranty and so on. 

Edited by Lurking

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

7 hours ago, Lurking said:

80+ rating has nothing to do with quality. But most quality PSU nowadays are Gold or higher. So I really would be suspicious if a PSU is Bronze these days. I recently bought this Asus Strix for $95. it is based on the Focus. That or something similar will not break the bank but also not kill your system and will last many systems. and I'm not making a statement about the wattage you need, just the quality. I just assumed 500W is enough for you, but smarter people may know better. 

BTW, this seems to be amore updated Tier list. I'd pick some from Tier A, find the ones that offer good prices, and then google for tear-down reviews like from Tomshardware. Once you narrowed it down and still have questions, just ask here again and someone with knowledge can give even more detailed advice. 

Edit: I'm not affiliated with Asus....

But their 550W Strix ROG PSU just dropped to $82 and I bought one (my second one already) If 550W is good enough for you, this likely is one of the best deals these days for an excellent PSU. Silent, has all electricals in order, 10 year warranty and so on. 

i am ofically typing this from my new bukld :), i nned help with drivers how do you drivers for amd then make it work

On 2/4/2023 at 7:51 AM, m37 said:

Fire hazard. Bottom of the barrel psu.

do yourself a favour and get at least a C tier unit from the PSU list @sid posted before (it won’t let me tag you for some reason). 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

13 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Fire hazard. Bottom of the barrel psu.

do yourself a favour and get at least a C tier unit from the PSU list @sid posted before (it won’t let me tag you for some reason). 

my hole build is a fiire hazard XD, its in a cardboard case like ltt did a video on, didnt have budget fro a new case lol