Air cooler for a 5800X3D? (That’s pretty?)

I’m going to upgrade from a 2700X to a 5800X3D. I’ve been using the stock wraith prism cooler and it’s been “alright” performance but it’s very pretty. Any recommendations? I’ve been looking into the “Vetroo V5 CPU Air Cooler w/ 5 Heat Pipes 120mm PWM Processor 150W TDP https://a.co/d/21EcgLL” as it’s been highly recommended across YT, (with a banger price point!) but I’m open to ideas. Thanks for any input!

14 minutes ago, Alexsaurus Reks said:

Any recommendations?

is 35$ the hard limit here? Youre pretty close to an ID-Cooling SE-226 cash there.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

5800X3D runs quite hot, a good single tower cooler could cool it sure, but I personally would look for dual tower coolers.

Like peerless assassin, or if you want prettier one, AG620.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

Pretty is in the eye of the beholder.  I’m liking the thermaltake peerless 120 lately.  It’s not the very best cooler on the market but it’s not all that terribly far off and it’s $35.  It beats coolers that cost twice what it does.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 minutes ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

This applies to 7xxxX CPUs but NOT 7xxx CPUs.  So is it outdated?  Hard to say. This is a 5xxx3d though which is not a 7xxxxX, so this doesn’t really apply to the situation.

I personally don’t see much of a point to the 3D chips myself, since if you’re running at normal resolutions a 5700 will bury the highest end GPUs.  I put a peerless 120 on a 12700 (which is slightly faster than a 5700 so for gaming faster than is useful anyway) and found it was so powerful I took the fans off and ran it passive.  So 0dba.  Couldn’t break 60c set up like that.  

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

This applies to 7xxxX CPUs but NOT 7xxx CPUs.  So is it outdated?

"X" variants tend to have higher TDP than a non-X variant. I'm aware that TDP is not... exactly correct, but it's a comparison point. Basically, if it can handle the "X" variant, it'll handle it's little brother just fine.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

This is a 5xxx3d though which is not a 7xxxxX, so this doesn’t really apply to the situation.

Very similar package power throughput, though, so in the same cooling ballpark. Heat dissipation is heat dissipation. The question is: does that cache layer really require more cooling? Or does it just mean that the lower processor layer stabilizes warmer than it otherwise would?

11 hours ago, Vulkan HeStan said:

Noctua NH-D15

they said pretty though! 

i have a U12S Chromax,  looks pretty sleek imo (and keeps my 3D at about 79c max... not great but still ok, and that's only during cb or video encoding anyway) 

10 hours ago, sailsman63 said:

. The question is: does that cache layer really require more cooling?

yeah. despite what the tdp says,  my 3600 used more wattage and was still slightly cooler than my 3D. The 3D only about equals out with -30 undervolt all cores. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

The Thermalright Peerless Assassin is pretty good:

image.thumb.png.de50e23cb0de4f2b76dce748ad494b07.png

image.thumb.png.0e9a971e5bb564ddaafd16effb157cb1.png

image.thumb.png.a515def7f57b62c642b59c1d3fa81819.png

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

15 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

This applies to 7xxxX CPUs but NOT 7xxx CPUs.  So is it outdated?  Hard to say. This is a 5xxx3d though which is not a 7xxxxX, so this doesn’t really apply to the situation.

Yeah the key is the RATE of heat dissipation, not the total amount of heat.

Direct contact coolers are excellent in this regard.

What you should look at is the area of the CPU that is covered by this contact.

Long story short, more heat pipes equals better coverage.

Yes, the massive tower models are overkill from a total wattage standpoint, but they are great for coverage.

Many heat pipes covering the entire lid = WIN

1 hour ago, mdk777 said:

Yeah the key is the RATE of heat dissipation, not the total amount of heat.

Direct contact coolers are excellent in this regard.

What you should look at is the area of the CPU that is covered by this contact.

Long story short, more heat pipes equals better coverage.

Yes, the massive tower models are overkill from a total wattage standpoint, but they are great for coverage.

Many heat pipes covering the entire lid = WIN

That’s always been the case though.  A six pipe double stack tower is more-or-less a six pipe double stack tower unless the pipes themselves are garbage (which has been done) 

12 hours ago, sailsman63 said:

"X" variants tend to have higher TDP than a non-X variant. I'm aware that TDP is not... exactly correct, but it's a comparison point. Basically, if it can handle the "X" variant, it'll handle it's little brother just fine.

Very similar package power throughput, though, so in the same cooling ballpark. Heat dissipation is heat dissipation. The question is: does that cache layer really require more cooling? Or does it just mean that the lower processor layer stabilizes warmer than it otherwise would?

But it doesn’t do the thing that is talked about a 5x003d is a 5x00 with extra cache stacked on top.

12 hours ago, brob said:

Re: deep cool ag400. That’s a 4 pipe single stack.  It’s a bit more than half the other coolers mentioned.  Might get that gigantic cfm number with a high speed fan, so lots of noise. 

Re: thermalright peerless 120

this seems to be the cooler folks are talking about.  Same as mine except mine isn’t black and doesn’t have rgb fans (or any fans now) 

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s always been the case though.  A six pipe double stack tower is more-or-less a six pipe double stack tower unless the pipes themselves are garbage (which has been done) 

Yes, but people will say go with 4 heat pipes because it is only a 120 watt TDP.

They are right that you do not need the massive cooling potential of the  250 watt cooler, but the 6 heat pipe contact area is important....esp. when we are talking about these new chiplet and cache design chips...total cooling is important, but cooling coverage directly over the actual chip and not just the lid is also important.

The same has been seen in AIO coolers that have a surface area smaller than the lid of some of the massive chips.

We are talking minutia of design elements.

But BEST IS BEST 😉

I might go with 5.  The assassin king or the fuma for example.  They’re both more expensive than the peerless 120 though so I don’t see the point of them unless for whatever reason you need the narrower profile. So the peerless still wins.  Overkill doesn’t hurt.  It’s just wasted space and money.  The case of the peerless though it’s just space, and space that wasn’t getting used for something else anyway.  It’s the runaway bang/buck winner no matter which way you slice it.  What I don’t get is why it’s so cheap.  May be a loss leader/marketshare move.

Edited by Bombastinator

29 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

What I don’t get is why it’s so cheap.

most likely the quality of the fans rather than the heat pipes.

There is a pretty big delta in the cost of a high quality fan vs one that simply runs.

2x $20 bill of material fans = $40

2x $2 bill of material fan = $4

But yeah, a great deal may be reputation on margin.

Thermalright made some real garbage (in my experience and opinion) in past years.

Perhaps they have that barrier of negative expectation to overcome.

I've seen it before...someone makes average or below average products....when they have a real winner, it takes awhile for consumers to be willing to pay for it.

Edited by mdk777

36 minutes ago, mdk777 said:

most likely the quality of the fans rather than the heat pipes.

There is a pretty big delta in the cost of a high quality fan vs one that simply runs.

2x $20 bill of material fans = $40

2x $2 bill of material fan = $4

But yeah, a great deal may be reputation on margin.

Thermalright made some real garbage (in my experience and opinion) in past years.

Perhaps they have that barrier of negative expectation to overcome.

I've seen it before...someone makes average or below average products....when they have a real winner, it takes awhile for consumers to be willing to pay for it.

The things that BOM would affect is rigidity and smoothness, both of which are important.  With a more rigid and smooth material there can be a more aggressive blade profile at a given noise level. 
I took the fans off though because the thing was so powerful so it’s a weakness I’m not experiencing.