To Custom Loop - or Not To Custom Loop

Hey all, I'm having a really difficult time keeping this 13900K Cool.

I have it in an ASUS Z790-E Strix board, hardly entry level, paired with a Corsair H150I, with the fans running on blast all the time, as well as a thermalright bracket. The case doesn't even have side panels on it. 

Right now I have the CPU de-clocked so it doesn't constantly thermal throttle.

The way I see it - I have two options left:

Replace my Corsair H150I with the 420mm Corsair H170I Elite Capellix, or do a custom loop. 

I'm a bit weary of doing a custom loop, because I've never done one before, but I am confident I can do it if tasked. The question is - Is custom looping going to be significantly better than the H170I to the point where I can almost OC the 13900K?

5 minutes ago, Talisman2208 said:

Hey all, I'm having a really difficult time keeping this 13900K Cool.

I have it in an ASUS Z790-E Strix board, hardly entry level, paired with a Corsair H150I, with the fans running on blast all the time, as well as a thermalright bracket. The case doesn't even have side panels on it. 

Right now I have the CPU de-clocked so it doesn't constantly thermal throttle.

The way I see it - I have two options left:

Replace my Corsair H150I with the 420mm Corsair H170I Elite Capellix, or do a custom loop. 

I'm a bit weary of doing a custom loop, because I've never done one before, but I am confident I can do it if tasked. The question is - Is custom looping going to be significantly better than the H170I to the point where I can almost OC the 13900K?

IF you have the money and time and like the astetics you could do a custom loop. And the Perfomance of a Custom loop entirely depends on the components you choose and your skill. 🙂 

Just now, Gokul_P said:

IF you have the money and time and like the astetics you could do a custom loop. And the Perfomance of a Custom loop entirely depends on the components you choose and your skill. 🙂 

Money and time are not a concern. Temperature and performance are 😛 So it sounds like I should do a custom loop?

1 minute ago, Talisman2208 said:

Money and time are not a concern. Temperature and performance are 😛 So it sounds like I should do a custom loop?

From Jayz 2 CEnts review of the cooler that you mentioned it is running at 70* C on a 1700 socket iam assuming 12900K so you have the head room with that but custom loop will give you more overclocking headroom so 

12 minutes ago, Talisman2208 said:

Money and time are not a concern

always a nice place to be

12 minutes ago, Talisman2208 said:

Temperature and performance

a custom loop will absolutely be the best way to keep temps under control.

I'd recommend using a LianLi O11 with a distribution plate/pump/res combo, EKWB cpu block, and definitely consider adding the GPU to the loop. I would be use BeQuiet or Noctua fans in pull configuration. I like the black low maintenance tubing with brass colored fittings.

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Always do a loop. No reason to be a pleb and just get by when its so easy and fun to do. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 1/23/2023 at 11:18 AM, OddOod said:

always a nice place to be

a custom loop will absolutely be the best way to keep temps under control.

I'd recommend using a LianLi O11 with a distribution plate/pump/res combo, EKWB cpu block, and definitely consider adding the GPU to the loop. I would be use BeQuiet or Noctua fans in pull configuration. I like the black low maintenance tubing with brass colored fittings.

Thanks for your feedback - I have a few follow up questions. I think you convinced me to pull the trigger my guy! 

Question 1: I have these fans lying around somewhere, are they pretty good? Or should I I get nicer ones? I really like the ones that are daisy-chainable.image.png.018f44671e41ca2a3999aa06054645c7.png

Question 2: Do I get a fan controllers?

Question 3: How many rads with that Lian Li Case?

Question 4: If I go hard tubing, does EK make quick disonnects or no? Is swapping out MOBO's and GPU's pretty easy once you get everything together? Just replace a few parts and you're good to go?

Thanks for all your help on this one!

I put the radiator outside the house. Heat doesn't accumulate in the case. Cpu temp is 8c in the picture @ idle.  Don't be afraid to use soft tubing, I think it can look pretty sick. 

20230124_053750.jpg

16 hours ago, Talisman2208 said:

Thanks for your feedback - I have a few follow up questions. I think you convinced me to pull the trigger my guy! 

Question 1: I have these fans lying around somewhere, are they pretty good? Or should I I get nicer ones? I really like the ones that are daisy-chainable.image.png.018f44671e41ca2a3999aa06054645c7.png

Question 2: Do I get a fan controllers?

Question 3: How many rads with that Lian Li Case?

Question 4: If I go hard tubing, does EK make quick disonnects or no? Is swapping out MOBO's and GPU's pretty easy once you get everything together? Just replace a few parts and you're good to go?

Thanks for all your help on this one!

hard line is not meant for easy swap out of parts. each time you add something new you most likely need to rebend tubing. so qdc are not used for hardline.

i guess you could do a hybid and use some hardline and some soft tube from gpu and cpu. thow the idea of hardline is to build it so most of the liquid gose all out the drain valve at least should be easier then soft tubing.

ek makes the best qdc but cost a $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

depends on what lian li case you got. but if its the 011 probably top and bottom. i no some lian li case have clearance problems

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Spoiler

do take note, custom loop there's a bit more maintenance care needed

1. nf-p12 & nf-a14 are still ok, the better one will be nf-a12x25
  2. if yer mobo has enough fan header use mobo, i'm using aquacomputer quadro (rad fans rpm base of coolant temp)
  3. o11d can fit up to three 360 rads
  4. AFAIK hard tubing = no QDC ; if u wanna swap parts around soft tubing + qdc is the best way (see my build below)

gPJru4V.jpg

with rgb

Spoiler

mOXjNxS.jpg

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

16 hours ago, fonzz1e said:
  Reveal hidden contents

do take note, custom loop there's a bit more maintenance care needed

1. nf-p12 & nf-a14 are still ok, the better one will be nf-a12x25
  2. if yer mobo has enough fan header use mobo, i'm using aquacomputer quadro (rad fans rpm base of coolant temp)
  3. o11d can fit up to three 360 rads
  4. AFAIK hard tubing = no QDC ; if u wanna swap parts around soft tubing + qdc is the best way (see my build below)

gPJru4V.jpg

with rgb

Hide contents

mOXjNxS.jpg

i would make the back intake imo

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

9 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

i would make the back intake imo

front & side already intake 😅

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

1 hour ago, fonzz1e said:

front & side already intake 😅

oh my bad haha

On 1/25/2023 at 1:41 PM, thrasher_565 said:

hard line is not meant for easy swap out of parts. each time you add something new you most likely need to rebend tubing. so qdc are not used for hardline.

i guess you could do a hybid and use some hardline and some soft tube from gpu and cpu. thow the idea of hardline is to build it so most of the liquid gose all out the drain valve at least should be easier then soft tubing.

ek makes the best qdc but cost a $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

depends on what lian li case you got. but if its the 011 probably top and bottom. i no some lian li case have clearance problems

+1...Soft tubes for now since it would be your first. Hard lines are for when you get good at doing soft lines and have some experience and you want to make a very clean show piece. They are a pain to deal with if you are a parts swapper or if a issue crops up and you need to rma a part etc.... then you got to clean, leak check, refill, bleed again. They are alot of work but will give you great temps with alot of leeway to mix and match parts of much higher quality. I cant believe your AIO unit is a 360 and its having such trouble. Im sure youve done the troubleshooting, but you never said what your idle/max temp numbers were?

7 hours ago, AI_Must_Di3 said:

but you never said what your idle/max temp numbers were?

i didn't get to that part as the buble was stuck in the cpu block... but anyway i hope ill fix it haha has now i have a nuts loop of 5x 560 rads... wish me

luck

i have seen people do a first build with hardline and it looked good so just depends on the person i guess..

Oh yeah, if you are a tinkerer type, have the tools and the time you can def do it but you will have to do some practice cut and forming first to get the feel for it. Def wish you the best!