LG 29UM65 Monitor Review

I've been waiting for a monitor like this. I have seen a few videos and pictures of similar types floating around youtube etc (I think I saw an Asus one not long ago, but it had bad reviews about instant dead pixels) and I have never been bothered to turn my attention to them, but they look pretty good. Though I would personally just get that Samsung 4K monitor instead seeing how it's being introduced a lot more around certain websites.

How does the 34UM65 compare? to the 29um65 im looking at that as the um95 is way too expensive and the 29um65 is too small. but would love the widescreen as i watch alot of movies on my pc and play games and i think it would be great 

My PC specs are CPU: 6700k @4.7Ghz Ram: 16GB Corsair RGB Pro GPU: RTX 2070  PSU: RM650 CPU cooler: corsair H150 Case: corsair Motherboard: ASUS Z270 Pro SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 EVOand SK Hynix 1TB

I have the AOC and the ACER versions both IPS and I like the ACER for gaming panel is crisper/brighter/better angles than AOC which I use for work daily. All of them are bezeless which I really like. I have to say I have converted to 21:9 for work and play and enjoy it a lot. But I did notice I lost some vertical space compared to my 27" 1080 but I feel the crisper screen and immersion in gaming is worth it. As for work I am not having issue with 29" screen for side by side work. I would love the 34" but 1500 aint worth it for me so 350 I got both of those screens for is well worth it.

We can build it, we have the technology!

Linus I think the next one you should do the LG 34UM65

"1/3 as much? Then it must be a pretty good deal."

*$500* "oh heh lol" 

I did the same thing haha 

AMD FX-8320@4.7ghz|8GB Avexir Core Series Ram|Phanteks Enthoo Pro|Gigabyte Windforce GTX 760 4gb|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|Corsair CX600

Hmm, so much new monitor tech and still no affordable G-Sync monitor. Is G-Sync already dead in the water?

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Linus says at one point in the video you will have to fuss around to get games working and then some games will not even work at this resolution so why is it then he recommended it for people who game?

Because most people who game are at least one of the following:

• Willing to go the extra mile to configure simple files in unsupported games to allow a 21:9 aspect ratio
  • Knowledgeable enough to disable stretch scaling and willing to play games in 16:9 with black bars

Because most people who game are at least one of the following:

• Willing to go the extra mile to configure simple files in unsupported games to allow a 21:9 aspect ratio
  • Knowledgeable enough to disable stretch scaling and willing to play games in 16:9 with black bars

Sorry but no black bars for me. You probably are a gamer that doesn't mind bezels either. LOL :P

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Sorry but no black bars for me. You probably are a gamer that doesn't mind bezels either. LOL :P

As long as the 16:9 resolution is pixel perfect I don't see a problem with black bars.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

As long as the 16:9 resolution is pixel perfect I don't see a problem with black bars.

Black bars adds more sexy bezel like features! :o

Black bars adds more sexy bezel like features! :o

What are you even talking about? Bezels only happen with multi monitor setups. Monitors like these exist to give you a similar experience to a multimonitor setup WITHOUT bezels in between. And if a game supports multi monitors it'll very likely support this monitor as well. The 1920x1080 is only there incase a game doesn't support the widescreen resolution just like you would only use one monitor when a game doesn't support a multi monitor setup - the bezel doesn't matter at all. So what's your point?

Linus the next monitor you should review is the LG34UM65 so you can compare it with the UM95 :D

What are you even talking about? Bezels only happen with multi monitor setups. Monitors like these exist to give you a similar experience to a multimonitor setup WITHOUT bezels in between. And if a game supports multi monitors it'll very likely support this monitor as well. The 1920x1080 is only there incase a game doesn't support the widescreen resolution just like you would only use one monitor when a game doesn't support a multi monitor setup - the bezel doesn't matter at all. So what's your point?

I guess you didn't get the point. It might as well be more and more bezels. Black bars are annoying!

I love how you filmed this in your kitchen.

I don't know, it still feels professional, but more casual at the same time

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

If this was $350 I'd say yes but having owned the former 29EA93-P I can say this format at 1080P height really is a downer and I "switched up" for the PB278Q.

The improved latency is very nice though.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If this was $350 I'd say yes but having owned the former 29EA93-P I can say this format at 1080P height really is a downer and I "switched up" for the PB278Q.

The improved latency is very nice though.

Bit of a late bump on this but currently on sale on Memory express for 380$ if that changes anyones mind.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX52090

i7 - 6700k || Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti || Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB 3200Mhz || Corsair 760T White || Corsair HX850 || NZXT Kraken X62 || Asus Z170-A || Logitech Proteus Core 502 wireless || Logitech G915 TKL ||

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have this, and absolutely LOVE the aspect ratio and usable space. I use it for managing virtual environments, and love what it does for Final Fantasy XIV

• 6 months later...

Is screen tearing an issue with 29:9 monitors?

Aspect ratio doesn't effect tearing... Refresh rate and fps do...

- snip-

ok do u think i would get noticable screentearing with an oc'ed gigybyte 970 g1?

EDIT: my screen is going to have a 60hz refreshrate

The Y.E.T.I. is in progress?Whaaat? (modding aproach&build log)->http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/355618-project-yeti-first-build/

[READ THE COC BEFORE POSTING][Check twice cut once][NZXT rules:D][Dremel is Love Dremel is Life][COOKIES ARE GREAT][LOGIC]

• 4 years later...