Best ATX 3.0 Power Supply

Andreas Pedersen

Currently planning on doing a new build with an rtx 4080 and I was thinking of going with an ATX 3.0 compatible PSU this time.
I know that the choices are limited right now but I wanted to ask anyway, are there any brands I should avoid? I've seen Asus, Gigabyte and MSI PSUs that are in stock already, however I've always been a corsair guy when it comes to PSUs but seeing as they haven't released one yet and from the looks of it they wont put the 12VHPWR connecter on their upcoming units but include an adapter cable instead I was thinking that maybe I should find one that has the 12VHPWR connecter on natively since I'm going to use a 4000 series GPU. 
So so far I've been looking at the Asus Rog Loki 850/1000 watt, there aren't really any reviews on this unit yet, I heard that in the past Asus made a collab with Seasonic so they could put their own name and design on some of Seasonic PSUs but they were really overpriced (not sure if this is true but it would not surprise me), wondering if the Loki is a Seasonic PSU as well and if so, is it a good power supply or am I better off waiting for Corsair or some other brand to see if anything better comes out?

Thanks!

I have a new-ish HX1200 and I just ended up picking up this instead of tossing a perfectly good PSU out:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BJ27Q97P

Best Buy and some other retailers also have a 2x 8-pin to 12VHPWR (be careful, there are two variants and one doesn't have the extra 4pin sense) which work with Corsair PSUs as well. Here's an example of the good one for PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/660501/corsair-600w-pcie-50-12vhpwr-type-4-psu-flat-ribbon-power-cable-black

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I have a new-ish HX1200 and I just ended up picking up this instead of tossing a perfectly good PSU out:

Best Buy and some other retailers also have a 2x 8-pin to 12VHPWR (be careful, there are two variants and one doesn't have the extra 4pin sense) which work with Corsair PSUs as well. Here's an example of the good one for PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/660501/corsair-600w-pcie-50-12vhpwr-type-4-psu-flat-ribbon-power-cable-black

Agree with that, I too just got the Corsair cable for my RM850x, then recently upgraded it to a RM1000x (as I needed the 850 in the PC I had put my 3080 in as it started powering off due to spikes as I'd forgotten it only had a 650W PSU).

I went for the 1000W because of gaining a few percentage improvement on power efficiency due to being around 60% load and I found it somewhere not much more expensive than the 850W.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

23 minutes ago, Lurick said:

23 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Agree with that, I too just got the Corsair cable for my RM850x, then recently upgraded it to a RM1000x (as I needed the 850 in the PC I had put my 3080 in as it started powering off due to spikes as I'd forgotten it only had a 650W PSU).

I went for the 1000W because of gaining a few percentage improvement on power efficiency due to being around 60% load and I found it somewhere not much more expensive than the 850W.

Correct me if im wrong but aren't the 4 tiny pins on top of the 12VHPWR there so the GPU can "talk" to the PSU because the 4000 series could have some serious power spikes. Without the native 12VHPWR support your PSU and GPU wont be able to talk to each other. 

Just now, Andreas Pedersen said:

Correct me if im wrong but aren't the 4 tiny pins on top of the 12VHPWR there so the GPU can "talk" to the PSU because the 4000 series could have some serious power spikes. Without the native 12VHPWR support your PSU and GPU wont be able to talk to each other. 

Kind of, they're really just sense wires that go to ground or not and based on that it "negotiates" power

PCIe-Gen5-Power-Cable-5-768x306.png

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Andreas Pedersen said:

Two of the pins can be connected to ground, depending on how much power the connector is able to deliver. That's it.

:)

@Andreas PedersenIf u can find Silverstone Hela 850R that's a great unit as well on top of the ROG Loki. The Hela 850R is the same great platform as Fractal Design Ion+/Ion+ 2 (High Power factory)

https://cultists.network/9094/silverstone-hela-850r-review/

15 hours ago, Andreas Pedersen said:

So so far I've been looking at the Asus Rog Loki 850/1000 watt, t

ROG Loki is the same factory/similar platform as in the great Corsair SF750 (GWT factory)

7 hours ago, Andreas Pedersen said:

Yeah I too initially thought the idea was a card could throttle back if the PSU reported it was exceeding its maximum load, but apparently no they are just really basic sense pins just to check what the maximum load can be pulled.

The only real intelligence a full ATX 3.0 PSU has is if you say have an 850W and plug in two GPUs, it will change the ground connections to tell the GPUs they can only pull 300W each, rather than 600W if only one is connected.  Its really very basic and not at all relevant for 99% of users, given there is limited use for multiple GPUs these days and you can't even fit dual 4090s into most motherboards.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7