MSI B450m Mortar Max is it 5000 series ready ?

AFAIK no B450 board comes with Zen3 compatible bios out of the box. Expect that you need to upgrade the BIOS before you can plug a Zen3 CPU in.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

35 minutes ago, NichVill said:

Do i need to update bios or is it plug and play

Even B550 still needs BIOS update sometimes.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Update to latest bios and you are away.  I'm running a 5700X on that very board.

16 minutes ago, JKRsega said:

Update to latest bios and you are away.  I'm running a 5700X on that very board.

I dont have 3000 series cpu to update. Is there other way to update the board? 

9 minutes ago, NichVill said:

I dont have 3000 series cpu to update. Is there other way to update the board? 

That model has a BIOS flashback button on the back, which means it can flash BIOS without any CPU.

The video below uses B550 Mortar, but the general idea & method is the same.

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

4 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

That model has a BIOS flashback button on the back, which means it can flash BIOS without any CPU.

The video below uses B550 Mortar, but the general idea & method is the same.

Will my PC boot with 5000 series?

1 minute ago, NichVill said:

Will my PC boot with 5000 series?

Without BIOS update? most likely not.

Refresh before you reply

3 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Without BIOS update? most likely not.

So what should I do? Plug in the flash drive? I think my PC needs to boot up to start updating? 

20 minutes ago, NichVill said:

So what should I do? Plug in the flash drive? I think my PC needs to boot up to start updating? 

Have you watched the video ?

Refresh before you reply

IIRC Max boards are Zen 3 ready.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

6 hours ago, freeagent said:

IIRC Max boards are Zen 3 ready.

Erm, no.  Mine had to be updated.  Maybe if it was B550.

3 hours ago, JKRsega said:

Erm, no.  Mine had to be updated.  Maybe if it was B550.

Whoops my bad. When I was shopping for boards I thought the thing MSI had going for it was their max series supporting zen 3 out of the box. 

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

11 hours ago, freeagent said:

Whoops my bad. When I was shopping for boards I thought the thing MSI had going for it was their max series supporting zen 3 out of the box. 

Can't ALWAYS be right.  You'll have to settle for 99% of the time, haha...

On 1/17/2023 at 9:36 AM, Levent said:

AFAIK no B450 board comes with Zen3 compatible bios out of the box. Expect that you need to upgrade the BIOS before you can plug a Zen3 CPU in.

Wasn’t the whole ‘max’ line released by MSI after issues with all zen 3 CPU’s on b450, consumers finding bios update a bit difficult and improved ram range?

iirc back then ‘max’ boards were shipped with a zen 3000 ready bios. Can of course understand that since then things may have changed including bios’. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

-nvm- brain fart haha

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Wasn’t the whole ‘max’ line released by MSI after issues with all zen 3 CPU’s on b450, consumers finding bios update a bit difficult and improved ram range?

iirc back then ‘max’ boards were shipped with a zen 3000 ready bios. Can of course understand that since then things may have changed including bios’. 

Yeah that might be the case, though Zen 2 CPUs are 3000 ones. I havent seen a b450 board come with Zen3 (5000 series cpus) support out of the box.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

Yeah that might be the case, though Zen 2 CPUs are 3000 ones. I havent seen a b450 board come with Zen3 (5000 series cpus) support out of the box.

Oh shit haha, I see where I went wrong 😑  my bad!

I thought ryzen 2000 was zen 2… and thus 3000 zen 3. I forgot that zen 3 was a 5xxx SKU. 

as you can see, I haven’t built a new pc since then (sign)

On 1/17/2023 at 8:03 AM, NichVill said:

For BIOS flashback you don't even need a CPU in the socket.  You will have to rely on update progress from LED lights as nothing will be on the screen.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator