LTT Fan Mail

What happens to fan mail sent to Linus Tech Tips? On December 27th, I sent a letter to LTT and I was just wondering how it would be processed. The letter I wrote, (An actual hand written letter, not something I typed out and printed XD) was sent to the address on the LMG website. Was that wrong? Is their somewhere else I should send it? Thanks in advance!

42 minutes ago, Volvo240 said:

What happens to fan mail sent to Linus Tech Tips? On December 27th, I sent a letter to LTT and I was just wondering how it would be processed. The letter I wrote, (An actual hand written letter, not something I typed out and printed XD) was sent to the address on the LMG website. Was that wrong? Is their somewhere else I should send it? Thanks in advance!

Very unlikely they will respond because they are rather busy during business hours. It's as full time production company after all. It's also why they don't do tours. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

They don't really address fan mail. Maybe they read it. But how often you get respond from 10mil follower celebrity? Or what did you expect to happen?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, Volvo240 said:

I think your best shot for a response is Merch message during the WAN show. 

Its in the middle of the night where I live, so I don't personally have a shot at that. 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

As most company's if they have some one read it (Marketing/PR dept) they will compile the reponsses into a quick list and respond with a tweet to the compiled list of items.

Its just a matter of time mangement, if they get a letter someone has to read it, create a response, get approval for the response and then send the response back to the sender.

Its quite expensive procedure, and in most cases the time can be better spent else where in the company.

Sorry but LTT is still a company, which has bills to pay.

P.S.: As others have said a merch message is your best bet for a response

12 hours ago, dkoudijs said:

someone has to read it, create a response, get approval for the response and then send the response back to the sender.

Its quite expensive procedure, and in most cases the time can be better spent else where in the company.

Most of this is pure BS. No one has to read it. But reading is the easiest and doesn't cost anything but time. Rest is just not true. No one has any obligation to respond to anything where company profit isn't at the line. So they will only respond to realistic business inquiries.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Every time I've sent something I get the impression that at least Linus has read the letter. It's a little bit of a wink, wink, nudge, nudge but he called out one of the paintings I sent in recently during a WAN show. Also had the impression that he checked out my old Youtube channel which had some pencil tests made in an attempt to get on the new Animaniacs show that was animated in Vancouver awhile back. Generally when I send something it's either an external check to make sure he's not acting like Bill Mumy from the "It's a Good Life" Twilight Zone episode or a general "how are you doing." Mental health, especially during the dark winter days, is a big issue in Canada and we don't always ask and make sure others are okay. 

When it's a Hollywood celebrity, they have media companies that handle fan mail responses. If you try sending something directly to a studio for someone specific to sign, an assistant will either send it back or redirect it. Even guys like Mod Sun, who've only in the past few years achieved some success, his fan mail address redirects to a storage locker where I'm guessing that stuff piles up.  I think Linus mentioned a blue sky idea of adding a Cameo-like feature for Floatplane as an addition to merch messages maybe for those who don't want a physical item but want a personalized response. Not sure how that works in the reverse when sending in physical items. Could be nice for the other employees as well if they could be Cameo tipped for the work being done. 

On 1/17/2023 at 4:46 AM, LogicalDrm said:

Most of this is pure BS. No one has to read it. But reading is the easiest and doesn't cost anything but time. Rest is just not true. No one has any obligation to respond to anything where company profit isn't at the line. So they will only respond to realistic business inquiries.

Reading is the cost, as time is normally the most expensive part of a business (labour)

Yes you are correct no one has the obligation to respond, I was pointing out to OP that is expecting a response what the process would normally be.

Most marketing/PR deaprtments have a rough process of what I described, as going into details would require knowledge of each buinsess processes.

On 1/17/2023 at 2:47 AM, Jeremy_H said:

Generally when I send something it's either an external check to make sure he's not acting like Bill Mumy from the "It's a Good Life" Twilight Zone episode or a general "how are you doing."

After listening to the WAN show this week, this comment was an attempt at a joke based partially on the Starforge behind the scenes video. In hindsight, it wasn't a good idea. Sorry if ruffled feathers and LTT/Linus has always been very gracious when accepting feedback. This combined with a comment I made on Youtube about certain specific situation where an artist misused the youtube copyright system to remove channels with their fan animation was also not directed at anyone at LTT. You've all been great, and the 48 hour only video was fun today. Can't please everyone all the time but thanks for trying!