New motherboards BIOS version

Go to solution Solved by BiG StroOnZ,

"Ready for", simply means it can support it. You might still need to update the BIOS to enable compatibility with the 13600K. However, from what I found through research, you probably will need a 12th Gen CPU to update the BIOS though. I don't think there's a feature on that board that allows you to update the BIOS without a CPU. There's a possibility though, that at this point, depending on when you purchased the motherboard, that the newest BIOS is already installed though.

As my current build has the Asus TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 and Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core I get that I have to use BIOS version 1620.

Warning: The Asus TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard supports the Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor with BIOS version 1620. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, upgrading the BIOS

will be necessary to support the CPU.

If I check the specs https://www.asus.com/se/motherboards-components/motherboards/tuf-gaming/tuf-gaming-b660m-plus-wifi-d4/ I can see this statement:

• Intel® LGA 1700 socket: Ready for 13th & 12th Gen Intel Core™ processors

Aka I take it I dont have to bother with BIOS flashback in this case or did I go wrong in my rookie investigation here ?

"Ready for", simply means it can support it. You might still need to update the BIOS to enable compatibility with the 13600K. However, from what I found through research, you probably will need a 12th Gen CPU to update the BIOS though. I don't think there's a feature on that board that allows you to update the BIOS without a CPU. There's a possibility though, that at this point, depending on when you purchased the motherboard, that the newest BIOS is already installed though.

8 minutes ago, ConfigThis said:

Aka I take it I dont have to bother with BIOS flashback in this case or did I go wrong in my rookie investigation here ?

You will need to update the bios, unless the motherboard box has a sticker on it in with a newer bios version.

This just means the physical pins and motherboard chipset support 12th and 13th gen (with a bios update),

5 hours ago, ConfigThis said:

As my current build has the Asus TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 and Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core I get that I have to use BIOS version 1620.

Warning: The Asus TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard supports the Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor with BIOS version 1620. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, upgrading the BIOS

will be necessary to support the CPU.

If I check the specs https://www.asus.com/se/motherboards-components/motherboards/tuf-gaming/tuf-gaming-b660m-plus-wifi-d4/ I can see this statement:

You'll likely require a BIOS update for the particular board you're getting to support 13th gen CPUs. And since this board does not have BIOS Flashback, you'll need a 12th gen CPU in order to do that update. You can take a gamble but it's highly unlikely it'll support 13th gen out of the box. By the time B660 boards got 13th gen support, focus has already shifted to production for Z760 and B760 boards. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You'll likely require a BIOS update for the particular board you're getting to support 13th gen CPUs. And since this board does not have BIOS Flashback, you'll need a 12th gen. You can take a gamble but it's highly unlikely it'll support 13th gen out of the box. By the time B660 boards got 13th gen support, focus has already shifted to production for Z760 and B760 boards. 

Thanks I switched to this one now Gigabyte B760 GAMING X AX DDR4 ATX LGA1700

Grateful for your support 🙂