Powerful Home Server

Go to solution Solved by OddOod,
5 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

So you are currently starting with next to zero knowledge... Don't blow $12,000 on something that will be outdated by the time you learn how to use it. Spend $1500 on a gamer PC, it will do EVERYTHING that you need it to at this point in your career. Once you know what you are doing, then move up to a better tuned system for the workload.

That's the answer. If you want to get into server management you can build a 1500$ gaming rig and add the LSI HBA and a disk shelf and play around with different storage and virtualization optimized OSs. Learn all about how well and poorly Linux plays with NV drivers and VMs and different RDP platforms and virtualization and dockers and CLIs and all the fun stuff with a powerful hardware. Once you have enough experience with this stuff, then you won't even need to ask what to buy, you'll just know

10 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

No. I want to know now. I know that everything I find out today will be "highly outdated" 10 years from now. If I wanted the specs for 10 years from now, I would have asked then.

No one is going to be able to help you if you don't tell them what you want to do with it, never mind that this is a "will be done in the future" build and things will change before then.

A top of the line storage server is going to be vastly different from a top of the line rendering server or a game server. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

12 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

No. I want to know now. I know that everything I find out today will be "highly outdated" 10 years from now. If I wanted the specs for 10 years from now, I would have asked then.

Do the research yourself.  Have fun!

The server must have a total of 500 terabytes, with 100 percent redundancy. It must be capable of:

• AI/Deep Learning Training
  • Business Intelligence & Analytics
  • Conversational AI
  • High Performance Computing
  • Industrial Automation
  • Cloud Gaming
  • EDA (Electric Design Automation)
  • High-availability Cache Cluster
  • MEC (Multi-Access Edge Computing)
  • Mission Critical Web Applications
  • Multi-Purpose CDN
  • Telco Edge Cloud
  • Machine Learning
  • Cloud Computing
  • Enterprise Server
  • Virtualization
  • Edge Nodes
  • Data Center Optimized
  • Value IaaS
  • DNS & Gateway Servers
  • Firewall Application
  • Web Server
  • Firewall Application

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

If you have any fun ideas for things for me to do with my PI, send me a direct message. 

I plan to upgrade within a few months to a proper computer.

25 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

I will eventually purchase the server. And I currently do not have the funds to purchase a server, so I am doing it the only way I can.

No, there are other ways. 

You don't have the money to buy any server so discussions on the topic of the most powerful server are not the only way you can do this.

A) Go do some research yourself.  Your only source of information isn't LTT forums.  Go watch some videos.  Read things.  Use a search engine.  Find companies that make servers, and look at what they sell. 
B) come up with a realistic budget.  A server can be a big mainframe, or a U form factor rackmountable box, or it can be a tower, or a NUC, or a Raspberry Pi device running Linux.  You also need to understand your wants and needs for the device based on your workload.  The most powerful automobile could be a very fast sports car, or a really big and slow truck that pulls a lot of stuff.
C) get some practice.  Like I said in B, a server is many things.  So you might be able to start getting some practice and gaining experience with a device you already have or can get for cheap or free.

Computers are a great hobby and way to make money, but if you want to excel, you need to have an open mind to learning and finding solutions, rather than asking strangers to answer your demands without giving anything to the community.

14 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

The server must have a total of 500 terabytes, with 100 percent redundancy. It must be capable of:

• AI/Deep Learning Training
  • Business Intelligence & Analytics
  • Conversational AI
  • High Performance Computing
  • Industrial Automation
  • Cloud Gaming
  • EDA (Electric Design Automation)
  • High-availability Cache Cluster
  • MEC (Multi-Access Edge Computing)
  • Mission Critical Web Applications
  • Multi-Purpose CDN
  • Telco Edge Cloud
  • Machine Learning
  • Cloud Computing
  • Enterprise Server
  • Virtualization
  • Edge Nodes
  • Data Center Optimized
  • Value IaaS
  • DNS & Gateway Servers
  • Firewall Application
  • Web Server
  • Firewall Application

Sooo...  The answer is no.  

You're making shit up, and just copying a list off of google now.  No, no you don't.

Go buy a raspberry Pi (or four) and you can mess around with a handful of these things.

Stop making shit up and be reasonable.

Not Google, SuperMicro. https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/aplus

These are the ones I chose.

Product Compare _ Supermicro.pdf

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

If you have any fun ideas for things for me to do with my PI, send me a direct message. 

1 hour ago, Takumidesh said:

why don't you buy a cheap computer or use an old computer as a server and then see if it can't meet your needs?

I used a $60 lenovo workstation pc as my server for about 2/3 years before I outgrew it.

I hosted game servers on my old gaming pc when I upgraded and it worked fine for a long time. 

The average person does not need enterprise grade server equipment for personal use. 

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

16 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

for doing what? Linking a product page and providing no additional details of your application is unhelpful. 

What will you be doing on it? What's your budget? Et cetera...

I want extra compute power, and will be doing some AI/ML on it. I don't want the budget to sway my decision. If I decide to purchase it (which I will once I obtain the funds) I will worry about money then.

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

59 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

Industrial Automation

Whats your plan for industrial automation?

gonna run some PLCs? maybe a few Fanuc or ABB six axis robots?

also you want to do IaaS? you gonna be an ISP, or are you just trying to compete with digital ocean?

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

1 hour ago, Takumidesh said:

Whats your plan for industrial automation?

gonna run some PLCs? maybe a few Fanuc or ABB six axis robots?

also you want to do IaaS? you gonna be an ISP, or are you just trying to compete with digital ocean?

I have no clue what any of those abbreviations mean. I would be glad for you to explain them to me, though. By the way, I just went to 

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/aplus

and copied all of the uses for the H13 series because no one was being helpful. If you know about servers, I would like you to help me with creating one. I just can't purchase it for a while, but would like to.

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

2 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

I have no clue what any of those abbreviations mean.

Then you're not going to do industrial automation. 

We can safely assume you know just as much about everything else on that list you copied and pasted, which means you've still told us nothing about what you want to do.

It's like you have a vague idea a "server" is a computer-y thing and decided you therefore wanted a "server" and that's as much as you thought about it. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

I have no clue what any of those abbreviations mean. I would be glad for you to explain them to me, though. By the way, I just went to 

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/aplus

and copied all of the uses for the H13 series because no one was being helpful. If you know about servers, I would like you to help me with creating one. I just can't purchase it for a while, but would like to.

Yea that was my point.

You are using terms and phrases for a thing you don't even know anything about.

It is fine if you don't know stuff, but just spewing words and letters and abbreviations won't lead to getting any help.

3 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

no one was being helpful.

When you are pressed on what you actually need, you posted a copy paste list filled with terms you don't know claiming you need this functionality. I am sure you didn't spend any time actually reading the list or you would see the obvious things that should be excluded from the list (like industrial automation)

You got the responses you got because your question was objectively bad.

Why don't you actually post, in real terms that you understand, what you feel like you could realistically accomplish with a home server. what are the things in your life currently that could be improved with having a server. What you actually want to accomplish.

9 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

I would like you to help me

If you want help from strangers and for them to dedicate time on you, you should put in an equal amount of effort.

"No good e'er comes of leisure purposeless; And heaven ne'er helps the men who will not act." -Sophocles

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

34 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

"No good e'er comes of leisure purposeless; And heaven ne'er helps the men who will not act." -Sophocles

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1480947-powerful-home-server/

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

I want a home server that will act as a private storage server and provide extra computing power (both cpu and gpu). I can not build/buy it now, but want to now how much it would cost so I can save for it. Must be powerful.

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

You started a new thread and then asked the same question, you still haven't specified what you want to do

2 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

provide extra computing power

for what?

3 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

Must be powerful.

Why? you STILL haven't said what you actually want to do with the server.

if you want a NAS, you can get a synology off the shelf.

1 hour ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

Explain what you want the server to do exactly, or you are trolling. You are repeatedly not answering what you want the server to exactly do. You are ignoring request after request for this information.

If you do not know, zero answers will be useful to you. There is no such thing as a _powerful server_. They do not exist. There are many many powerful servers for specific purposes. Name a detailed purpose.

If you do not know the detailed purpose, you will be blindly throwing thousands, tens of thousand or more at a non-specific chunk of hardware. Is this what you want to do?

If you want some random hardware that is not tailored to a specific purpose and therefore at a high risk of not doing what you want, please answer yes and we will all link some random server hardware.

1 hour ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

Well said...

Why don't you actually post, in real terms that you understand, what you feel like you could realistically accomplish with a home server. what are the things in your life currently that could be improved with having a server. What you actually want to accomplish.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

You could probably build a 4090/7950x rig for 3500, toss in an IT mode flashed LSI HBA with four external full size SAS ports for another 125. Grab a 24x3.5" diskshelf from a liquidation for 100 or a new one for 400, then add however many 16TB drives you need. The used ones I get are 180 per so you'll have to do some math.
Then pick your OS poison. Ubuntu is well supported in 7 years of running MDADM RAID I've had no problems that weren't caused by me and there's a lot of config you have to do, truenas is rocksteady storage in EZ mode but gorbaio at VMs/docker, Unraid is super user friendly and has a LOT of community support including an awesome array of preconfigured dockers but the entire thing runs off a fucking USB stick which are unacceptably flakey (I literally own two licenses because even the recommended usb sticks die within the one year transfer freeze).
Alternatively go with separation of concerns. Grab some old workstation tower for 100$, repaste the CPU, drop in the HBA, enough RAM to run it (4+2GB/drive), plus a 100$ 10G NIC,  and run truenas on that, then have the other rig run Unraid or some other virtualization friendly OS.

TLDR, this is a question wrongly asked

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

2 hours ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

I want a home server that will act as a private storage server and provide extra computing power (both cpu and gpu). I can not build/buy it now, but want to now how much it would cost so I can save for it. Must be powerful.

$142,553.36 plus tax.

5 hours ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

provide extra computing power

I will be using it for AI, ML, CAD, and video editing. And I did say what I will use it for, but the topic self deleted for some reason once I logged out of my computer, and I could not find it once I logged back on.

I want to access the storage in the same place as the computing power or I would just get a of the shelf NAS. I want to be able to use the server as you normally would as well as connecting it to my computer and it work as if it was the computer.

4 hours ago, OddOod said:

You could probably build a 4090/7950x rig for 3500, toss in an IT mode flashed LSI HBA with four external full size SAS ports for another 125. Grab a 24x3.5" diskshelf from a liquidation for 100 or a new one for 400, then add however many 16TB drives you need. The used ones I get are 180 per so you'll have to do some math.
Then pick your OS poison. Ubuntu is well supported in 7 years of running MDADM RAID I've had no problems that weren't caused by me and there's a lot of config you have to do, truenas is rocksteady storage in EZ mode but gorbaio at VMs/docker, Unraid is super user friendly and has a LOT of community support including an awesome array of preconfigured dockers but the entire thing runs off a fucking USB stick which are unacceptably flakey (I literally own two licenses because even the recommended usb sticks die within the one year transfer freeze).
Alternatively go with separation of concerns. Grab some old workstation tower for 100$, repaste the CPU, drop in the HBA, enough RAM to run it (4+2GB/drive), plus a 100$ 10G NIC,  and run truenas on that, then have the other rig run Unraid or some other virtualization friendly OS.

Good info.How would I use it for the above purposes?

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

11 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

I will be using it for AI, ML, CAD, and video editing. And I did say what I will use it for, but the topic self deleted for some reason once I logged out of my computer, and I could not find it once I logged back on.

I want to access the storage in the same place as the computing power or I would just get a of the shelf NAS. I want to be able to use the server as you normally would as well as connecting it to my computer and it work as if it was the computer.

So you will use a thin client and connect to the server?

3 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

$142,553.36 plus tax.

And where how have you come up with this price?

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2