Powerful Home Server

Go to solution Solved by OddOod,
5 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

So you are currently starting with next to zero knowledge... Don't blow $12,000 on something that will be outdated by the time you learn how to use it. Spend $1500 on a gamer PC, it will do EVERYTHING that you need it to at this point in your career. Once you know what you are doing, then move up to a better tuned system for the workload.

That's the answer. If you want to get into server management you can build a 1500$ gaming rig and add the LSI HBA and a disk shelf and play around with different storage and virtualization optimized OSs. Learn all about how well and poorly Linux plays with NV drivers and VMs and different RDP platforms and virtualization and dockers and CLIs and all the fun stuff with a powerful hardware. Once you have enough experience with this stuff, then you won't even need to ask what to buy, you'll just know

What would make the most powerful server? I am talking a general purpose server that has a high number of both cpus and gpus, as well as storage. What components would be needed. Must fit in a standard 42U rack.

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

If you have any fun ideas for things for me to do with my PI, send me a direct message. 

I plan to upgrade within a few months to a proper computer.

You could probably use one cray Frontier rack running at about 8 million dollars for one cabinet.

This silly answer demonstrates the silliness of your question.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

8 minutes ago, Budget DIY said:

There isn't a "general purpose server". You asked about storage, CPU and GPU. However, you've forgot all about RAM. (and network capabilities)

I didn't forget about ram, I just didn't mention it. I want it to have the most that will fit. And for network capabilities, I want is to have decent connection to the internet so I use it for things that require it, but it's sole purpose is not internet based. I know there is no "general purpose server". I want the server to be able to some AI, ML, web hosting, and have storage so I do not have to have a dedicated storage server and can just use it.

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

If you have any fun ideas for things for me to do with my PI, send me a direct message. 

4 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

You could probably use one cray Frontier rack running at about 8 million dollars for one cabinet.

This silly answer demonstrates the silliness of your question.

can you just tell me it's main features? I have not read many long spec sheets and find them confusing.

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

6 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

can you just tell me it's main features? I have not read many long spec sheets and find them confusing.

it's 8 million dollars.

You want to know the most powerful server, there it is, the cray frontier supercomputer is #1 on TOP500 and is the most powerful computer that exists.

What information do you actually want?

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

5 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

So you want the most powerful server that can fit in a 42U rack?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Just now, Takumidesh said:

it's 8 million dollars.

Smart alec. What HARDWARE features?

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

1 minute ago, Dedayog said:

So you want the most powerful server that can fit in a 42U rack?

Yes.

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

4 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

Smart alec. What HARDWARE features?

are you asking a serious question? or is this just a curiosity thing that you don't want to google for some reason?

Is this something you plan on purchasing? or a theoretical? "the most powerful" anything is so incredibly vague that the question is effectively impossible to answer.

let me add:
commercial or consumer hardware?

home or professional use?

what type of load is expected?

single board or cluster?

does the 42U limit include things like cooling, storage racks, network, power distribution? or just filling every square inch with compute

additionally the 42U limit is even vague, as that is only a single dimension measurement of 1866mm, what about width and depth?

4 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

Yes.

What is your budget?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

1 minute ago, Takumidesh said:

are you asking a serious question? or is this just a curiosity thing that you don't want to google for some reason?

Is this something you plan on purchasing? or a theoretical? "the most powerful" anything is so incredibly vague that the question is effectively impossible to answer.

This is a kind of serious question.I am not good at researching, and do not know the ins and outs of servers.I want to eventually purchase a server, but I don't want to have to purchase another one to do something else.

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

1 minute ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

This is a kind of serious question.I am not good at researching, and do not know the ins and outs of servers.I want to eventually purchase a server, but I don't want to have to purchase another one to do something else.

6 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

single board or cluster?

does the 42U limit include things like cooling, storage racks, network, power distribution? or just filling every square inch with compute

additionally the 42U limit is even vague, as that is only a single dimension measurement of 1866mm, what about width and depth?

EDIT:

what do you need a server that can fill up a 42U rack?
I consider myself a power user with multiple websites being hosted, media servers, and tons of other things on my server and it fits in a 4u case

my whole rack is only a 24U and its half empty.

3 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

What is your budget?

Currently, I have a budget of $0. I want to know how much a server that meets my needs/wants will cost before I set a budget. Also, it might be a while before I can purchase it, so I want it to be "future proof".

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

why don't you buy a cheap computer or use an old computer as a server and then see if it can't meet your needs?

I used a $60 lenovo workstation pc as my server for about 2/3 years before I outgrew it.

2 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

Are you going to eventually purchase the most powerful server, or are you going to eventually realize what your needs are, and find something that meets those needs and is within your budget?

Essentially what you have asked, is "What is the fastest car in the world?", without saying, that you are really looking for a normal minivan because you just want to get to work and go grocery shopping.

3 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

Currently, I have a budget of $0. I want to know how much a server that meets my needs/wants will cost before I set a budget. Also, it might be a while before I can purchase it, so I want it to be "future proof".

You are doing it wrong.

5 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

if you have $1000 available to spend, but the server you want costs $2000 it doesn't change the fact that you don't have that extra $1000.

8 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

let me add:

single board or cluster?

I hate how it does not show the entire post if it is too long. I did not see the expand button. For width and depth, what ever is needed for the components. Mid level load. The 42U limit is al inclusive and must include everything needed to run it. For everything else you said, both as needed.

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

Just now, Peter_The_Ent said:

I hate how it does not show the entire post if it is too long. I did not see the expand button. For width and depth, what ever is needed for the components. Mid level load. The 42U limit is al inclusive and must include everything needed to run it. For everything else you said, both as needed.

mid level load? what is the ACTUAL load you expect, what are you doing on the server?

A mid level load for me is much different than mid level for amazon.

4 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Are you going to eventually purchase the most powerful server, or are you going to eventually realize what your needs are, and find something that meets those needs and is within your budget?

Essentially what you have asked, is "What is the fastest car in the world?", without saying, that you are really looking for a normal minivan because you just want to get to work and go grocery shopping.

3 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

You are doing it wrong.

I will eventually purchase the server. And I currently do not have the funds to purchase a server, so I am doing it the only way I can.

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

6 minutes ago, Peter_The_Ent said:

I will eventually purchase the server. And I currently do not have the funds to purchase a server, so I am doing it the only way I can.

Come back when you've got those eventually-currency-items. Because 10 years from now, almost anything here would be highly outdated.

2 minutes ago, Budget DIY said:

Come back when you've got those eventually-currency-items. Because 10 years from now, almost anything here would be highly outdated.

No. I want to know now. I know that everything I find out today will be "highly outdated" 10 years from now. If I wanted the specs for 10 years from now, I would have asked then.

Main "Rig"=HP 11A G6 EE

Android Tablet

Raspberry PI Zero W 2

Considering you don't have any intentions (or means) to buy a 8 mil server right now, you'll be saving up those currency items. Hence this whole topic being spam.

You have no budget and can't give any meaningful info on the use case for the system ("mid level load" is not meaningful). This thread is pointless. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16