[PSA] audioengine A5+ for $299!!!! [3 days left]

needmorewood

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/audioengine-a5plus?mode=guest_open&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Massdrop%20-%20Master&utm_campaign=Theme%202014-05-04&utm_content=C

in light of linus' incoming review of the audioengine a5+ review. here ios a deal that makes them at the same MSRP as the a2+.

@LinusTech please hurry with review so your viewers can get a good deal if they decide to get them

why bother

rather buy an Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Bi-Amplified monitor for $280

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

why bother

Because they are awesome? 

OH COME ON! I paid 400€/ 560$ for mine. No fair. 

Are they really that good? Does the bass shake the whole house? Does the floor at least vibrate everywhere in the house? That is my criteria for good speakers :P

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

why bother

Well I'd rather just build my own speakers. Which I did. Cost way less than that  :rolleyes:

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Are they really that good? Does the bass shake the whole house? Does the floor at least vibrate everywhere in the house? That is my criteria for good speakers :P

'Good' speakers are supposed to be accurate, not loud

That is why studio monitors cost thousands of dollars, and are only 8in drivers. They are extremely accurate for music production.

You can buy a 20in sub for a quarter of that price and shake your whole neighbourhood!

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

They aren't studio monitors but they have what I would describe as a rather flat EQ but they can also deliver some good bass. But then again this is the only Audiophile grade (to some extent) set of speakers I ever had. 

'Good' speakers are supposed to be accurate, not loud

That is why studio monitors cost thousands of dollars, and are only 8in drivers. They are extremely accurate for music production.

You can buy a 20in sub for a quarter of that price and shake your whole neighbourhood!

Sure, but I'd say that the only place that needs something like that is a studio. I need loud speakers for home, because I want to hear my music when I'm  doing stuff in the house or have a party etc. And I think most speakers are accurate enough for that. Just my opinion, as different people have different use cases. 

They aren't studio monitors but they have what I would describe as a rather flat EQ but they can also deliver some good bass. But then again this is the only Audiophile grade (to some extent) set of speakers I ever had. 

So it's a neutral sound, but the capability is there for some extra boom boom pow?

So it's a neutral sound, but the capability is there for some extra boom boom pow?

Yes. 

why bother

because it would look ugly on my desk

Sure, but I'd say that the only place that needs something like that is a studio. I need loud speakers for home, because I want to hear my music when I'm  doing stuff in the house or have a party etc. And I think most speakers are accurate enough for that. Just my opinion, as different people have different use cases. 

no they are pretty perfect for my desktop solution. i would not use these in a home theater or anything like that

OH COME ON! I paid 400€/ 560$ for mine. No fair. 

RIIIIIIIP

Yeah, which is why I made my own sound system. A HT receiver, computer, and 14 speakers from craigslist. The 12" driver kind. Overall it cost about $500 but now I have a 14.2 surround sound system that can shake all the walls in my house. Obviously those old/large vintage speakers are not too accurate, but they sure can get loud :D

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Well I'd rather just build my own speakers. Which I did. Cost way less than that  :rolleyes:

u got a good guide or something i always wanted to do that

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Yeah, which is why I made my own sound system. A HT receiver, computer, and 14 speakers from craigslist. The 12" driver kind. Overall it cost about $500 but now I have a 14.2 surround sound system that can shake all the walls in my house. Obviously those old/large vintage speakers are not too accurate, but they sure can get loud :D

AWESOME! That is what I like! We also make our own sound systems, and they do sound nice for the price. How many watts is yo' amp?

u got a good guide or something i always wanted to do that

Well I just kind of did stuff just by knowing it already without a guide, but I'll try and find something for you

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-Custom-Speakers/   < That is a very extensive one

If you want to PM me I'll be willing to help

IMHO I would rather have a pair of Swans D1080 iv or a pair of m200 mk viii, but a nice set of vintage speakers like the technics sb- A10's I have in the garage sound absolutely fantastic.

AWESOME! That is what I like! We also make our own sound systems, and they do sound nice for the price. How many watts is yo' amp?

Its just a 5.1 channel HT receiver from sony. around 500W or something. Obviously 5.1 is not enough for 14.2 speakers, so a lot of them are 2 or 3 speakers per channel. It still sounds very nice. 9.2 receivers are kinda expensive :(

Spoiler