Running a GPU at full speed with 16x slot with 4x bandwidth at gen 2 speeds

Go to solution Solved by LeonPlayz,
On 1/9/2023 at 11:24 PM, LeonPlayz said:

I've got a Dell Vostro 270 motherboard which has one PCI-e 3.0 x16 slot which I put my GTX 660 OEM 1.5gb into so it has full bandwidth. Recently, I bought a different motherboard the Intel DQ77MK which has a PCI-e x16 slot, but it runs at x4 speed gen 2.0. If I put my GPU in that slot it would obviously severely decrease its performance due to the bandwidth being limited. But the board also has on-board discrete graphics which runs at x16 Gen 3.0 speeds but it requires a CPU with an iGPU, I have a Xeon E3-1230 V2 so I don't have one. But, would it be possibly to put the GPU into the x16 slot, but instead of letting it run at x4 gen 2 speeds, I bypass it and use the pcie lanes dedicated to the discrete graphics to get the full bandwidth of a x16 gen 3 slot, even though I'm using a x16 slot at gen 2 x4 speed.

Current motherboard: Dell Vostro 270

New motherboard: Intel DQ77MK
GPU: GTX 660 OEM 1.5gb

CPU: Xeon E3-1230 V2

RAM: 2x8gb 1600mhz 

Update: I have just received the motherboard and it has two x16 style slots but one of them is an x4 slot but has a cutout on the side of the pci E x4 slot to make it a x16 slot. All the bandwidth works now.

I've got a Dell Vostro 270 motherboard which has one PCI-e 3.0 x16 slot which I put my GTX 660 OEM 1.5gb into so it has full bandwidth. Recently, I bought a different motherboard the Intel DQ77MK which has a PCI-e x16 slot, but it runs at x4 speed gen 2.0. If I put my GPU in that slot it would obviously severely decrease its performance due to the bandwidth being limited. But the board also has on-board discrete graphics which runs at x16 Gen 3.0 speeds but it requires a CPU with an iGPU, I have a Xeon E3-1230 V2 so I don't have one. But, would it be possibly to put the GPU into the x16 slot, but instead of letting it run at x4 gen 2 speeds, I bypass it and use the pcie lanes dedicated to the discrete graphics to get the full bandwidth of a x16 gen 3 slot, even though I'm using a x16 slot at gen 2 x4 speed.

19 minutes ago, LeonPlayz said:

Recently, I bought a different motherboard the Intel DQ77MK which has a PCI-e x16 slot, but it runs at x4 speed gen 2.0.

Where does this information come from? GPU-Z? Do you have a screenshot?

According to manual, you should get 16 PCI-E lanes from the CPU on the x16 slot. On-board graphics should not factor into this consideration.

If you have other components and peripherals plugged in, it may reduce the bandwidth a slot is given. Check the manual to see the block diagram and which slots you have the stuff plugged into.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

4 minutes ago, CyberneticTitan said:

Where does this information come from? GPU-Z? Do you have a screenshot?

According to manual, you should get 16 PCI-E lanes from the CPU on the x16 slot. On-board graphics should not factor into this consideration.

I haven't gotten the new motherboard yet, but I've attached a screenshot of the GTX 660 on the Dell Vostro 270 motherboard. When I receive the new motherboard I'll test it out and send bandwidth speeds. I just realised I made a mistake when i bought it when it said it had a x4 gen 2 speed 16x slot.

Capture 384.PNG

2 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

If you have other components and peripherals plugged in, it may reduce the bandwidth a slot is given. Check the manual to see the block diagram and which slots you have the stuff plugged into.

The motherboard is said to have an mini-pcie/mSata slot which I intend to use for Wi-Fi and I have no other pci components plugged in otherwise, but I'll let you know once the board arrives.

On 1/9/2023 at 11:24 PM, LeonPlayz said:

Update: I have just received the motherboard and it has two x16 style slots but one of them is an x4 slot but has a cutout on the side of the pci E x4 slot to make it a x16 slot. All the bandwidth works now.