1080Ti Upgrade time?

DJfern94

Not long after the GTX 1080Ti came out, I got my first well paid job and spent my first paycheque on an EVGA 1080ti SC along with an Acer Predator 24xb241yu monitor. Both have been going very strong for the last 5ish years and while it still plays most games at 1440p around 60fps, I am starting to notice a few frame rate drops in more demanding games.

I used to be really into hardware back then but honestly I have just stopped paying attention to the finer details of what has been available for the last few years. I am looking at upgrading the 1080ti but have no clue what would even be a worthwhile upgrade. There are only so many framerate comparison videos I can watch on YouTube, but it would be interesting to know what people would see as a worthwhile upgrade. In an ideal world I would keep GSync and stay below £600ish (maybe include the sale of my own gpu on top of that budget.) 

What would people's recommendations be?

Thanks!

CPU  Intel i7 5820k Motherboard Asus X99-S  RAM  32GB (8x4) Kingston Hyper X Fury GPU EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 iCX Case Fractal Design R4 Windowed Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 120GB Crucial M500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda + 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU Corsair RM1000 Display 2x Asus VS239HV Cooling  Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard  Corsair K70 RGB Mouse Logitech G502 Gaming Surface Razer Golitahus Extended Speed

If the card is still performing (relatively) fine, I'd probably wait. The market is still fairly crazy. New generations have just been launched by AMD and Nvidia, but only the top end models and these are very expensive. You could look into the used market if that's an option for you.

In terms of performance the 1080 Ti should be a bit above an AMD RX 6600, so anything faster than that would technically be an upgrade. (Here's a video from Hardware Unboxed where they compared the 1080 non-Ti to the RX 6600: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djeL6qUTDTo).

The question is, how much of a performance uplift would you expect, before you're willing to spend 600 GBP?

Looking at PCPP's price chart for GPUs (https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/video-card/), it looks like you could go for a 3060 Ti at that price point (if buying new). I'm not sure I'd consider the performance uplift worth £600. Here's one comparison:

~edit: Maybe go at it another way: How much of a performance uplift do you want to have? 10%, 20%, 50%? Look for GPUs that offer at least this much. Then check if their price is acceptable to you.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

a 3080 should last you a couple of years, everything lower imo isn't worth the investment.

keep in mind however,  you'll probably need to upgrade the cpu too (and by probably i mean almost certainly!)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Computer are very good these days. You can buy a pc and not needing to upgrade for like 8 years if all you do are basic web browsing. Gaming hardwares can last for like 5 years before you see some dip in quality or framerate for newer demanding titles. Even then it is perfectly playable, you just need to tune the quality down a little or make do with slightly below 60fps frames.

Sudo make me a sandwich