If Bluetooth is a digital signal and the DAC is after the signal, how can BT degrade audio quality?

Migrated to computer > audio  here. This thread could be closed.

________________________________________________________________________________

Title says it all. I've read both opinions - Bluetooth does not degrade audio quality and the other POV: "music sounds like arse through bluetooth".

Although I've rarely used BT (from a computer user point of view) I'm well aware that wireless signals can be affected by range/obstacles etc... But if there's only 8 feet between receiver and source how bad can Bluetooth audio be? Conservatively, class 2 BT isn't likely to be anything but very good at that range with line of sight. It's a digital signal and conversion to analog is made within the receiving system, after BT is out of the picture - the signal is the same 0s and 1s after BT as it is before.

Some of the common general skepticisms regarding BT are not so relevant for an evening of music:

• There's no security issue when transmitting music to your stereo (edit: actually hard to say this unequivocally)
  • After connection is established it'll stay connected and active (ie won't be idling / going into standby) for hours so establishing the connection is an issue once per evening
  • It microwaves your head. It's nowhere near my head.

And what is apt-X Bluetooth? It's not mentioned on the Wikipedia page for BT.

The context of my question:- We're buying new sound systems for home and holiday. We've been playing music using an Android plugged in via 3.5mm jack but the wiredness of it's becoming annoying - I've tried remote desktop / screen sharing but no luck making that work so far. The current best idea, one that keeps both home and holiday systems almost identical to the user, is Dad's phone (Galaxy S5) on holiday connected to small BT speakers and a tablet (Galaxy tab 3 8") for home connected to... anything between much bigger/better bluetooth speakers (£350) and a Marantz network streamer (£250 +spkrs) with a BT receiver (£50-60?) added.

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 | 2500k | 16GB Geil 1866 | Seasonic g360 | Windforce GTX660 | SSDs: 250GB 840 + 2x240GB m500 Striped | Spinners: 640GB 2.5" + 2x2TB Mirrored

QFR : TKStealth : Noctua : Abyssus : Nostromo : Dell & Asus screens on my Lavolta Triple

7 is my main OS + several VMs on my 500GB SSD Stripe

Try to move this thread to the Audio subforum.You should get plenty of answers there.

wireless always cause issues compared to wired, how big.. well most overestimate the issue a LOT.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Try to move this thread to the Audio subforum.You should get plenty of answers there.

Yes. I have a number of audio questions to ask, just didn't post there becasue it's computer > audio...

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 | 2500k | 16GB Geil 1866 | Seasonic g360 | Windforce GTX660 | SSDs: 250GB 840 + 2x240GB m500 Striped | Spinners: 640GB 2.5" + 2x2TB Mirrored

QFR : TKStealth : Noctua : Abyssus : Nostromo : Dell & Asus screens on my Lavolta Triple

7 is my main OS + several VMs on my 500GB SSD Stripe

zuboici, on 05 May 2014 - 12:02 AM, said:

Yes. I have a number of audio questions to ask, just didn't post there becasue it's computer > audio...

Nah.It's not just for computer stuff over there.