Can anyone explain how I lost?

ThisIsChew

From my computer knowledge, my new build should be able to beat my friends, but I lost. Does anyone with more knowledge have an understanding of this?

Friend.png

Me.png

13 minutes ago, ThisIsChew said:

From my computer knowledge, my new build should be able to beat my friends, but I lost. Does anyone with more knowledge have an understanding of this?

Friend.png

Me.png

Having never used an AMD card I would guess the 3080Ti is just better with the extreme settings like 8xAA, not sure if the tessellation setting would also impact performance if it uses GPU compute. Try again with both systems useing the non custom extreme preset and see what the results are.

Heaven is an outdated, DX11-based benchmark. It's OK if you just want to put some load on a GPU for a while to test its stability but it is not a worthwhile benchmark for actual performance anymore. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

It is an old benchmark and not the best for comparing performance on the newer GPUs, but FYI here is what I got with a 5800X and 7900 XT with the same settings as you and your friend.  (GPU set to the default 'Rage' profile under performance tuning.)

Run 1:

image.jpeg.40352fce73cdc4ca4463f4d299107fa3.jpeg

Run 2:
image.jpeg.08c9a158c2c67121754652bea9e43488.jpeg

Seems like the max FPS matters more in the benchmark than anything.. which is stupid.

@ThisIsChew have you monitored your temperatures and GPU clock speeds ? Some XTX's have throttle issues..

4 minutes ago, si1enze said:

@ThisIsChew have you monitored your temperatures and GPU clock speeds ? Some XTX's have throttle issues..

It's warm, but it's also because it's a quad slot that doesn't fit well in my server rack so it's right against the edge. Water block should be here Friday. This one was a 1,200 dollar card from sapphire. 

Odd question since you ran benchs, do you have a 4K panel? I ran my xt on 4K with those results if you could compare.

Temps.png

XT 4K.png

4 minutes ago, ThisIsChew said:

Odd question since you ran benchs, do you have a 4K panel? I ran my xt on 4K with those results if you could compare.

I think I can.. hang on.

image.jpeg.6bc657a9823d92587d46b83ae7e626fa.jpeg

I think that water block is going to help.

2 minutes ago, si1enze said:

I think that water block is going to help.

Your xt seems better then my xt. I was just shocked and don't understand at all how a 3080ti could beat my xtx at 1440. Crazy, because I don't think I'm getting any thermal throttling at my temps, as warm as they are.  

Thanks for taking the time with me though!

1 minute ago, ThisIsChew said:

Your xt seems better then my xt. I was just shocked and don't understand at all how a 3080ti could beat my xtx at 1440. Crazy, because I don't think I'm getting any thermal throttling at my temps, as warm as they are.  

Thanks for taking the time with me though!

You're welcome, these GPUs are very new.. future driver updates could bring more performance.

@ThisIsChew Try Unigine Superposition on those two systems..

image.jpeg.4f2ff3d226289773d525a94a6a48692f.jpeg

D3D11 is an old engine so your new RX 7900 XT(X) may not run it very well. Not many modern game uses D3D11 now. Also note that D3D11 is Direct 3d, not Direct X, and it exist since Windows XP era if I'm not mistaken (I know Windows XP uses Direct 3D version 9).

Direct X, especially Direct X 12.1, should have significant improvement, as the card was built with Direct x12 in mind.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

8 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

D3D11 is an old engine so your new RX 7900 XT(X) may not run it very well. Not many modern game uses D3D11 now. Also note that D3D11 is Direct 3d, not Direct X, and it exist since Windows XP era if I'm not mistaken (I know Windows XP uses Direct 3D version 9).

Direct X, especially Direct X 12.1, should have significant improvement, as the card was built with Direct x12 in mind.

This is not really correct.

DirectX is a collection of various APIs, it is not a single thing.

Direct3D has "existed since XP" the same way DirectX has existed since XP, because they are the same thing. DirectX 9 was the latest version in Windows XP, hence why Direct3D 9 was part of XP. 

DirectX was just a name for these various APIs that used to all be named "Direct ___". 

Instead of having to say "Direct3D for graphics, DirectSound for audio and DirectPlay for the networking" they just said "DirectX", with the X being a stand in for 3D, Sound and Play, for example.

D3D11 means Direct3D 11, which is the part of DirectX 11 that handles 3D graphics.

OP if you want to know how you could "lose" then it's most likely because your computer isn't better than your friend's at every single task.

It seems like for this particular benchmark, using those particular settings, your friend's PC might be faster. That doesn't make the benchmark bad or invalid. It just doesn't reflect the expected performance of games released today. It reflects performance for games released around ~2011.

If you want a benchmark that might more accurately reflect performance in modern games you should run Unigine Superposition

13 hours ago, LAwLz said:

*Snip

Ah, I see. I always thought Direct 3D and Direct X are different. But performance wise, I think those who only utilise Direct 3D perform sluggish than those who utilise Direct X. Maybe it was just me, maybe my past self was not that proficient about those 'new' technology.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Tessellation son, Nvidia is just better at tessellation and geometry performance. Ray tracing is the new tessellation. 

7 hours ago, ThisIsChew said:

Heck, I barely beat you with an XTX. I should just give up lmao

Custom? Select 4K optimized preset. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Heaven and superposition always have favored nvidia for some reason. 

Try 3dmark firestrike or timespy. Port will favor nvidia as they run RT faster and do have advantage there. 

In Raster the 7900xtx is a bit faster then the 4080 . 

15 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Tessellation son, Nvidia is just better at tessellation and geometry performance. Ray tracing is the new tessellation. 

Custom? Select 4K optimized preset. 

Literally makes no sense how a clearly worse card in hardware can just do better because "its Nvidia". As far as I know, the xtx is literally better in every measurable hardware stat. 

4K preset is essentially the same as I just copied the first time. My xtx is right on par with his xt, and right on par with my friends 3080ti. It's insane to me lmfao

xtx 2.png

49 minutes ago, ThisIsChew said:

As far as I know, the xtx is literally better in every measurable hardware stat. 

I'm not bs'ing you lol, also Heaven benchmark favor Nvidia GPU in general.

overclocked-performance.png

But your card perform similar to the XT meaning something is wrong and worth checking.

Can you run Timespy and Userbenchmark and share the result link? Both are free. 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/Software

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |