3070ti or 4070ti?

winkawak

Been out of the gpu loop for awhile now as my last build gpu was a gtx 970 lol. From my short search on google, it seems these two have similar performance but 40series is priced much higher?

They don't have similar performance. I don't know where you're getting that. 

Based on leaked benchmarks (the 4070 ti is not out yet, although it's the same card that Nvidia was going to call the "4080 12GB" before there was an outcry over that nomenclature being misleading), the 4070 ti will perform close to the 3090 ti. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

It is also much wider, deeper and using a different final power connect to the card compared to prior series. You should check your PC case for width and what expansion slots that you might need and will now be covered. Take a good look at the cards photos online and you'll see what I mean.

The 4000 series is generations ahead of the 900 series with DX12, ray tracing and other little things. If your just putting it into a senior PC, its MoBo might not be able to use the new features like resizable bar, or that it is a PCI gen 4 card.

As a side note nearly every reviewer says the new 4000 Nvidia series right now is very overpriced for what you get. The prices might come down a bit? I tend to think not by much as overall sales might be way below last years target, and scalpers are having a field day with the reduced numbers of 4090 being released until the glut of 3090 chips are sold off, but Nvidia lost the Crypto mining market so have to make up the financial loss somewhere.

2 hours ago, Middcore said:

They don't have similar performance. I don't know where you're getting that. 

Based on leaked benchmarks (the 4070 ti is not out yet, although it's the same card that Nvidia was going to call the "4080 12GB" before there was an outcry over that nomenclature being misleading), the 4070 ti will perform close to the 3090 ti. 

Dont have the link right now but it was in the comment section of a written article regarding 4070ti leak. Almost all of them were saying the performance betweeen 30 and 40 is about the same but 40 priced higher. IDK

2 hours ago, rockyroller said:

It is also much wider, deeper and using a different final power connect to the card compared to prior series. You should check your PC case for width and what expansion slots that you might need and will now be covered. Take a good look at the cards photos online and you'll see what I mean.

The 4000 series is generations ahead of the 900 series with DX12, ray tracing and other little things. If your just putting it into a senior PC, its MoBo might not be able to use the new features like resizable bar, or that it is a PCI gen 4 card.

As a side note nearly every reviewer says the new 4000 Nvidia series right now is very overpriced for what you get. The prices might come down a bit? I tend to think not by much as overall sales might be way below last years target, and scalpers are having a field day with the reduced numbers of 4090 being released until the glut of 3090 chips are sold off, but Nvidia lost the Crypto mining market so have to make up the financial loss somewhere.

Its all good, i recently built a new rig mini itx with 12700k and a pcie 4 rise cable in meshlicious. Im just wondering if its worth getting the previous gen since there price tag is around 600 unlike the new 40 series.

32 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

3070 Ti has too little VRAM to be worth buying in 2023.

12GB vram is too little now? Man i was rocking my gtx 970 3.5gb vram for over 6 years lol

Just now, winkawak said:

Dont have the link right now but it was in the comment section of a written article regarding 4070ti leak. Almost all of them were saying the performance betweeen 30 and 40 is about the same but 40 priced higher. 

Totally wrong.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

36 minutes ago, winkawak said:

12GB vram is too little now? Man i was rocking my gtx 970 3.5gb vram for over 6 years lol

I was talking about the 3070 Ti, not the 4070 Ti. 3070 Ti is a horrible buy in 2023, while a 4070 Ti with 3090 Ti performance and 12GB is still expensive as hell but should age alright for 1440p144 and 4k60.

44 minutes ago, winkawak said:

Its all good, i recently built a new rig mini itx with 12700k and a pcie 4 rise cable in meshlicious. Im just wondering if its worth getting the previous gen since there price tag is around 600 unlike the new 40 series.

Not at all. 3070 Ti is a terrible value at $600 because it's so gimped by that 8GB of VRAM. 4070 Ti will probably end up 30-50% faster if leaks are accurate. 3070 already runs out of VRAM at 1440p in Doom Eternal for instance, and the 3060 actually outperforms the 3070 there by 30% because of that VRAM deficiency in the 3070. Would be the same story with the 3070 Ti, but I think this bench was done before the 3070 Ti was launched. And at 4k it's even worse with 3060 12GB at 45 fps and 3070 8GB at 17 fps.

https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/doom-eternal-test-rtx

I wouldn't touch a 3070 Ti for anything more than $400, and even then I'd still be worried about spending that much on an 8GB card. There are other examples of the 8GB holding the 3060 Ti / 3070 / 3070 Ti back if you want me to post them but Doom Eternal is the nastiest example since it happens even at 1440p while the others I have seen are at 4k.

20 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Not at all. 3070 Ti is a terrible value at $600 because it's so gimped by that 8GB of VRAM. 4070 Ti will probably end up 30-50% faster if leaks are accurate. 3070 already runs out of VRAM at 1440p in Doom Eternal for instance, and the 3060 actually outperforms the 3070 there by 30% because of that VRAM deficiency in the 3070. Would be the same story with the 3070 Ti, but I think this bench was done before the 3070 Ti was launched. And at 4k it's even worse with 3060 12GB at 45 fps and 3070 8GB at 17 fps.

https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/doom-eternal-test-rtx

I wouldn't touch a 3070 Ti for anything more than $400, and even then I'd still be worried about spending that much on an 8GB card. There are other examples of the 8GB holding the 3060 Ti / 3070 / 3070 Ti back if you want me to post them but Doom Eternal is the nastiest example since it happens even at 1440p while the others I have seen are at 4k.

Man that was informative for sure. So if i want to game 1440p max settings lets say at at least 120-144fps, in todays standard i need something like 4070ti with at least 12gb of vram? So if rumors are true ill be spending around 700(apparently 800 has been confirmed just now) for it, man when did gpu became so expensive and how long will this gpu last with advancement of graphics? I remember my first gpu gtx 970 was considered high end at $350. Oh will my 32gb of ddr5 ram be enough? 

40 minutes ago, winkawak said:

Man that was informative for sure. So if i want to game 1440p max settings lets say at at least 120-144fps, in todays standard i need something like 4070ti with at least 12gb of vram? So if rumors are true ill be spending around 700(apparently 800 has been confirmed just now) for it, man when did gpu became so expensive and how long will this gpu last with advancement of graphics? I remember my first gpu gtx 970 was considered high end at $350. Oh will my 32gb of ddr5 ram be enough? 

Yeah gpu prices suck. Last two times mining got big the next generation got ridiculously expensive after the crypto bubble popped and Nvidia saw what gamers were willing to pay while the bubble was being blown up. Though the 970 was only as cheap as it was because Litecoin becoming unprofitable to mine on gpus absolutely tanked the market in 2014 and there was a massive used card selloff, way more than what happened in 2018 and 2022. You could buy R9 290 with four games new for $200 back when that was like a 4080 tier card. We'll never see gpu prices like that again. I remember wanting to buy a GTX 660 or R9 270 that spring but by fall the R9 290 was cheaper than the 660 and 270 were in the spring.

1 hour ago, winkawak said:

700 for a gpu is kinda cheap now,Look at the 4090 or either amd 7900 cards.As far as how long they last depends the settings your willing to cut in time.My brother still games on a 2080 super he bought when it was new.Hes had to cut a few game settings down a tiny bit to get 120fps plus.

18 hours ago, winkawak said:

Someone else was asking a question about memory and honestly there are just too many variables to suggest a minimum but it would theoretically be the amount of pixels used in a monitors resolution. But if you intend multi running programs on a PC you'd want their textures and screen display saved in memory to flip quickly between them. 

I tend not to multitask much and find 1440p usually used half of video 8Gb memory with one game, a browser and desktop being live.

20 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

3070 Ti has too little VRAM to be worth buying in 2023.

I found from my experience with it, it’s best suited for basically not AAA gaming in 4k which it’s contemporary’s around it are.

Either the 3060 can do 4k with its 12gb of vram but not at higher settings, or the 3080 can do 4k at higher settings. The 3070ti is best for high resolution max settings on older games (ie gta v maxed in 4k pulls 80fps+) or esports titles where you’d want high refresh rate at 1440p and high settings.

It has a place, if the use case fits it and the price is right it’s still a good card.

1 hour ago, 8tg said:

I found from my experience with it, it’s best suited for basically not AAA gaming in 4k which it’s contemporary’s around it are.

Either the 3060 can do 4k with its 12gb of vram but not at higher settings, or the 3080 can do 4k at higher settings. The 3070ti is best for high resolution max settings on older games (ie gta v maxed in 4k pulls 80fps+) or esports titles where you’d want high refresh rate at 1440p and high settings.

It has a place, if the use case fits it and the price is right it’s still a good card.

i mean the 3070/ti was never a "4k" card... i remember all the memes about the 3080 not even fully cutting it still... and lets not forget 2 years ago the 3070 was the second strongest consumer gpu on the market, games haven't actually somehow evolved much at all to have higher requirements since then, and 8GB has been anemic for like a decade now,  specifically holding game evolution back since only very few devs dare to go over that imposed limit... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

21 hours ago, winkawak said:

Dont have the link right now but it was in the comment section of a written article regarding 4070ti leak.

you understand everyone can write whatever they want in a comments section,  right? 

the 4070ti is *far* stronger than a 3070ti,  they're literally not fighting in the same league...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity