Motherboard Swap without new OS?

Talisman2208

Hey Guys!

I'm swapping my Z690 12900K with a Z790 13900KS, I'm wondering if I can simply swap them out without any major issues with my OS, I know it's probably best to do a fresh install, but that sounds like a pain, Is this possible given the boards and everything are so similar? Thanks!

You should be able to to a swap by just moving the drive without an issue. I have moved windows installs between systems many times(and with very different processors) and generally it works fine.

Without any major issues? Probably. Is it faster to reinstall Windows than remove all traces of previous system? Definitely.

I am not sure how you came up with that "everything is similar" statement.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

should work no problem just install the new chipset drivers and possibly update BIOS.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

You should always be prepared for a system failure - reinstalling an OS during a hardware upgrade is always a great chance to practice it.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

I've done this a lot lately. Typically it's an older office machine with a lot of software that will be a royal PITA to re-install and be very disruptive. So, I buy a new machine and just clone it over. Let Windows detect the new drivers, and all is good. Video drivers might require a manual install, but this is only moving from Nvidia to AMD / ATI, etc. I've had shockingly little issues moving to machines 10 years newer. If it's an Intel board just download their driver detect utility after the move and it will get you up to date. 

Make sure existing machine isn't running in RAID / RST mode. That will shut you down if the new MB is in AHCI mode. 

Microsoft used to be pr_cks about this with XP, and OEMs would die with the motherboard. However, MS is being more liberal about this with Win10/11. They want market share.

If you were running an HP OEM and moving to a Dell OEM machine you would likely be shut down at activation.

I'm guessing you are running one of those 3rd party OEMs of Windows. Those can be a bit unpredictable depending on where you got it. Provided it's a legit copy you should have no issues with re-activation. However, I strongly suggest going into the Windows Activation screen and linking the machine license to a Microsoft Account. This is about the only stipulation MS has in regard to moving an OEM, and it's worth the quick hassle.