This is a $20,000 Computer - The PortaNAS

jakkuh_t
1 hour ago, drdrewnatic said:

anyone know what website they're getting this data from?

TechSpot.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

most of the cost of the build was the flash storage....

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

I see some comments about other options but i would probably do the same. (if i had the ssd's). The business needs something reliable that works there. Carry on is going to not get lost. Buying a laptop would be easier than getting than getting the server there as well. (especially if they have some windows images with premiere etc setup without drivers). I would have probably gone with a mitx with better cooling, but in this case it worked out there where multiple PCI-E slots.

I've done a similar really small pc that i can bring with me for my work. only 13L with a i5 12400 and the same noctua cooler and 32gb ram.the ssd and ram had to be cut out though. Sometimes the most reliable option is something you can bring with you.

Sequence 01.00_01_07_05.Still001.jpg

Honestly why the dont use a "Road Runner" to fly daily between the Citys and transport the SSD?
I guess there is a equivalent of Ryanair over there.

Someone here mention Starlink. The Main Problem with that is you need a perfect Sky View. To get permission from the Hotel to get to the Roof is hard to impossible mostly.

Here an Unlimited Internet Prepaid Card cost 40€ for (UP TO)

50 MBit/s Download 20 MBit/s Upload 

From AT. :x

Time to drive a drive to a fast upload location or fly drives back might take too long. 

Small misunderstanding in the video, the at 14:45 shown temperatures are not the ambient temperature (called TAmbient / TA), but the temperature in the controller or nand or dram cache (This spot is called TJunction). While the ambient temperature for most SSDs are between 0°C and 70°C, the temperature in SMART / TJunction / within the chip can even be even higher due to the thermal resistance (see picture).

Difference between T junction & T case temp : r/gpumining

SSDs from my company (no advertising) only start throttling at 100°C, for example, although an ambient temperature of max. 70°C is specified.
Military Grade Chips can even go up to 125°C which, however, can still lead to problems in the long run.

I created the account just for this post because 90% of my daily emails with tempearture "problems" are based on this misunderstanding :).

Fly Smart o/

• 1 month later...

Funny story. I built the same thing in early 2019 using dual Xeon 28-core, 512GB RAM, and 4x 10TB drives in RAID 5 and NVME boot drive. I named it the BadgerBox and was running Linux/Splunk/VMware as a mobile SIEM platform/security tool kit for global incident response.

IMG-1162.jpg

IMG-1160.jpg