This is a $20,000 Computer - The PortaNAS

jakkuh_t

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

There is purpose built machines. that are kinda cheaper and maybe less constraining.

Eurocom makes mobile server's, Getac makes a rugged laptop with hard drive bays called the 500x severer.

As someone that edits some video macs are more reliable editing in adobe than windows, macs in general are reliable to edit with, I think you guys should have a windows laptop dedicated for rendering.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I'm confused as to why they don't use a pci-e to 4x10Gb Ethernet card for connecting the computer to the server? I'm assuming it would be a lot lighter then the alternative and would give faster connection to the SSD as it's connected directly to the computer. 

42 minutes ago, ahuckphin said:

How about a Shuttle PC, 2013 CES style? 

I guess they could go for the top of the line SW580R8 which does have a W580 chipset so ECC support. But no 10Gb LAN, "only" 2.5Gb. 

image.thumb.png.0a5f93743843d3ae96be5723399f30e5.png

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

9 minutes ago, Yitz said:

I'm confused as to why they don't use a pci-e to 4x10Gb Ethernet card for connecting the computer to the server? I'm assuming it would be a lot lighter then the alternative and would give faster connection to the SSD as it's connected directly to the computer. 

Or possibly connecting putting 4x thunderbolt to pci-e card to take away all the conversation, Mac does allow for computer to computer connection via thunderbolt as shown:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/ip-thunderbolt-connect-mac-computers-mchld53dd2f5/mac

Edited by Yitz
Add link for reference

YouTube comments be like 

"WhY iSN't PelICaN cAsE The CaSE?"

11 minutes ago, fpo said:

YouTube comments be like 

Considering the quality of some briefcase PCs out there?  It's a legit question.  I'd probably have done that, and it'd have been easier (in some ways) Than dealing with that tiny-ass case.

3 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Considering the quality of some briefcase PCs out there?  It's a legit question.  I'd probably have done that, and it'd have been easier (in some ways) Than dealing with that tiny-ass case.

I agree with the comments and am wondering why they didn't go all out Linus tech tips on the carry on case's behind...

But then I remembered that they don't want to spend so long engineering a case and having TSA looking at the inside and just wanted a regular computer since Linus doesn't go to CES so it'd be a number of employees that probably aren't as technically minded as Linus if there's a problem. 

A fun idea, but I can't imagine flying and boarding the editing team for a week is cheaper than renting a U for a month at a data center near CES to house an upload mule. Have someone run a portable hard drive out to the colo every day to upload the data.

$140 gets you an unmetered gigabit uplink for a month in Vegas (maybe a bit more without a minimum lease term). LMG probably has plenty of portable hard drives laying around (and even some 1U servers with front USB 3.0 ports), but even if you had to buy all that hardware it's probably still cheaper than a half-dozen plane tickets and 30-40 hotel room nights.

I guess the big advantage to this "ship the editors" approach is that the portable editing rigs and servers are in and of themselves content, whereas renting rack space in a colo wouldn't be nearly as entertaining.

I'm perplexed why an audiophile portable rack and some 15-18" depth rackmount cases to fit everything was considered.  This would also permit inclusion of a good rackmount switch and leave room for a UPS (though shipping the UPS across boarders might be problematic, you'd have the room*). The downside is that you'd have to ship it via freight but those cases are designed to be abused in transit.  Hotels generally can hold some freight and it is always courteous  to work with them ahead of time to be prepared to received the gear.  Doubly so when going across borders to account for custom times.  

An alternative to freight shipping and dealing with customs would be to have some one drive it down since it is 'only' Canada to the US.  Custom checks are relatively painless, you can move more and you have a built-in chain of custody presuming it is a member of the team driving it.  Less lead time is necessary vs. freight but I'd still plan for a buffer in case anything goes wrong.  The unused buffer time can be used for prep at the hotel prior to everyone else's arrival:  you'd have the network built up and tested as people are arriving to the hotel.  If you reserve neighboring rooms, often there are side doors connecting them all which you can run cables underneath.  Literally get everyone on to high speed hardwired network.  The downside is that this removes members of the staff for rather mundane work that'd otherwise be doing something else.  Gotta weigh the cost-benefits here as man power and insurance are factors.

There is yet another solution being Las Vegas:  rental gear from various AV production companies.  Most have huge warehouses in Las Vegas due to the numerous shows taking place there.  Various Dell/HP/Lenovo workstations can be rented ahead of time and delivered to the hotel without worry from customs.  Same day replacement options are possible (still buffer in some setup time prior to production).  Items like storage would have to be flow in but straight forward.  This setup can be tested ahead of time by having a unit shipped to the offices and mocked there.  It might even be possible to arrange for the same unit used in the mock to be the one used in Las Vegas.  This eliminates much of the freight shipping but the upfront costs are not cheap.  This can still provide savings if you have good tracking on how much your logistics cost.  One downside for CES in particular is that you have to get in your rental requests early.  CES is one of the few shows that can drain inventory.

If carry-on was a requirement due to the costs, have you considered breaking the system up across multiple chassis and multiple carry-ons?  Just moving storage externally frees up so much volume in this design.  

Or why not do things the LTT way and build a custom case that'd be purpose built to fit inside the Pelican box?  You'd be able to put in larger motherboard, have hot swap drive bays and utilize far more powerful hardware even after losing some volume for the necessary vibration mounting/foam.  To actually run the system, the Pelican case would have to be open like it was sitting on the table in the video but inside a hotel room this is not a big deal.  Obviously you can't put ventilation holes into the external shell. There is a time-cost-benefit analysis that'd need to be done for this.  For a media company like this though, the ROI could be spread out across over multiple trips, especially if the internal rig adheres to motherboard/component standards for upgrades later.  

Also good to see some testing done prior to shipping.  This will need to be repeated upon arrival before production work starts on it.

*One of the things I've learned for trade shows is that if something is deemed mission critical but complicates shipping, consider purchasing it locally and having it shipped to your hotel.  If you're already shipping freight there, the hotel will also accept a package.  It is possible to flip such things quickly on CL or eBay to recover some of the cost after the event is over.  

45 minutes ago, fpo said:

YouTube comments be like 

Vibration rigging so that you can ensure that damage done to the case doesn't get transferred to the components on the inside.  High end travel cases suspend the contents so that the exterior can be dented or even ruptured without damaging stuff on the inside.  It is possible but generally custom built which means not cheap.  

It is worth pointing out that this video's solution negates any sort of protection for the items inside due to the tight fit.  There needs to be some interior padding, especially for that fragile InWin case.  That looks like I could wrap it by just staring menacingly at it.

Really I think you don't need to do any of this. As others have said, just get Starlink or 1gb internet.

2 hours ago, xnamkcor said:

You're telling me you can't fit a EATX motherboard in that pelican?

EATX is 12x13in and IIRC interior of a 1510 is 19x11 IDK why I memorised it...

39 minutes ago, power666 said:

Vibration rigging so that you can ensure that damage done to the case doesn't get transferred to the components on the inside.  High end travel cases suspend the contents so that the exterior can be dented or even ruptured without damaging stuff on the inside.  It is possible but generally custom built which means not cheap. 

Reminds me

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/wnBbt6

I'm perplexed why an audiophile portable rack and some 15-18" depth rackmount cases to fit everything was considered. 

Audiophile? you mean audio rack cases? Uhh Those are massive fricking things. also ther arent meant for audiophiles more meant for AV and sound equippmeant... but ok

The downside is that you'd have to ship it via freight but those cases are designed to be abused in transit.  Hotels generally can hold some freight and it is always courteous  to work with them ahead of time to be prepared to received the gear.  Doubly so when going across borders to account for custom times.  

This looks too important to ship, shipping nightmares+ check in nightmares making this a carryon makes sense, personally I wouldnt build it like what they did.

It is worth pointing out that this video's solution negates any sort of protection for the items inside due to the tight fit.  There needs to be some interior padding, especially for that fragile InWin case. 

they probably took foam blocks and put it around it, also the bottom has foam, I have chucked cameras in this way foam on top and bottom and its fine.

Well since that system SSD based its fine getting vibrations is fine. those peilcans will never rupture even denting the outside the impacting doesnt really do anything to the inside...

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

I'd probably have done that, and it'd have been easier (in some ways) Than dealing with that tiny-ass case.

The thing is the 1510 is legit the limit to have as a carryon,

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

Considering the quality of some briefcase PCs out there?

Hmm yeah there are some great examples I can remember

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

14 minutes ago, sub68 said:

The thing is the 1510 is legit the limit to have as a carryon,

Hmm yeah there are some great examples I can remember

Right, I'd have made the 1510 itself the case.  I've got some rough ideas in my brain already for how to do it, too, and it'd be shock padded, etc.  And probably have more space for hardware and ease of use.  

.....why?....seriously, why?

why do you need a server? you have your laptops that will be doing the actual editing, so you just need those, your mobile internet puck, and maybe an external SSD if the laptops don't have enough storage.

Unless your company policy of "no files on your machine" just made things waaaaaaay more complicated than they should be...

this feels more like a "we need to figure out a video we can make" instead of something that you would realistically do.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 minutes ago, Arika S said:

.....why?....seriously, why?

why do you need a server? you have your laptops that will be doing the actual editing, so you just need those, your mobile internet puck, and maybe an external SSD if the laptops don't have enough storage.

Unless your company policy of "no files on your machine" just made things waaaaaaay more complicated than they should be...

this feels more like a "we need to figure out a video we can make" instead of something that you would realistically do.

or just bring a 10gbit Synology to hold all the data you're dumping onto it.  (I think the 4 people accessing at once was the main reason)

8 minutes ago, tkitch said:

(I think the 4 people accessing at once was the main reason)

but why do they need to do that? they're not going to have multiple people editing the same video at the same time (because that would be stupid anyway).

If they have assets they need (like the intro animation) just load up an SSD with what you need, then clone it to the others. it just seems to be adding massive complexity for the sake of it.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, sub68 said:

EATX is 12x13in and IIRC interior of a 1510 is 19x11 IDK why I memorised it...

Damn. Then I guess Linus would be stuck with a lowly regular full sized ATX board.

image.thumb.png.4ae425f40ca5796ea0f99fb4c9c068a9.png

anyone know what website they're getting this data from?

Due to my inability to think before I type, I frequently edit my posts. Please refresh before responding!

Tag me @drdrewnatic or quote me so I can see your response.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CPU: INTEL CORE I5-12600K GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 2070 OC MB: GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 RAM: 2X8GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB 3200 CL16 BOOT: CRUCIAL P5 PLUS 1TB SSD: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500GB HDD: SEAGATE 2TB 7200RPM PSU: EVGA G3 650W COOLER: THERMALRIGHT PEERLESS ASSASSIN 120 SE ARGO

01101100 01110100 01110100 01110011 01110100 01101111 01110010 01100101 00101110 01100011 01101111 01101101

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

Right, I'd have made the 1510 itself the case.  I've got some rough ideas in my brain already for how to do it, too, and it'd be shock padded, etc.  And probably have more space for hardware and ease of use. 

I have been thinking on a personal item size PC, mine would be built around a 1450 peilcan matx board fits in there, along with a flex/server PSU.

Somehow I would put a AIO, a (at that time) a LP 1050ti, Black magic design, decklinks

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

39 minutes ago, Arika S said:

but why do they need to do that? they're not going to have multiple people editing the same video at the same time (because that would be stupid anyway).

its much easier having everything dumped into one spot and seperate people can edit off that one spot

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

5 minutes ago, sub68 said:

its much easier having everything dumped into one spot and seperate people can edit off that one spot

not when it involves needing to build a $20,000 that has to fit in a pelican case, needing to have ethernet cables spidering across a hotel room and having all the editors working off laptops anyway.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

20 minutes ago, Arika S said:

not when it involves needing to build a $20,000 that has to fit in a pelican case, needing to have ethernet cables spidering across a hotel room and having all the editors working off laptops anyway.

I mean easier for editing workflow, this is CES, were LTT made 10 videos per day in 2017, thats one shooter so 20 per day with two and with 4 editors thats 5 videos per editor per day and thats aton of footage.

I wouldn't like to figure out what shooter shot what to give blank editor its a freaking nightmare. But if its consolidated to a single point and everything is sorted in the NAS you can easily sort out jobs, and finding correct footage.

The peilcan case pc is easy to have the pc plus everything needed to run the NAS.

As for laptops thats a given it sucks but how else can you edit.

Ethernet cables everywhere is probably a given

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang