AMD WTF

pat24601

I've never paid much attention to AMD processors. I mean, it was always neat there was someone nipping at intel's heels - but when it came time to actually buy/build stuff, they were never in one of those magic windows where they were actually ahead. So I've always gone intel, and all I know about AMD is some vague mish-mosh of headlines that have gone wizzing by for 20 years.

But I'm starting a new project, and looking at AMD stuff. And it's confusing as heck. The product numbering system seems just random, and are there different versions of the processors that use the same physical socket and aren't compatible? DO you really have to read the manual and check bios versions to know if any given proc will work in any given MB? If I want to compare with products a generation or three older, what does that even mean in AMD land? What does "Zen 2" or "Zen 3" even mean?

Has anyone made a good guide on understanding AMD processors and compatible MB's?

2 minutes ago, pat24601 said:

Has anyone made a good guide on understanding AMD processors 

processor-name-2-1.png

It's a lot more similar to Intel than you'd think. Where a Intel i7-7700k is 2 generations older, but the "same" cpu as a I7-9700k, the same applies to the AMD R7 1700 compared to Amd R7 3700. 

AMD-Ryzen-4000-Zen-3-Vermeer-Desktop-CPU

5 minutes ago, pat24601 said:

What does "Zen 2" or "Zen 3" even mean?

Zen is what they call their CPU architecture. Zen 3 CPUs are 5xxx series, and Zen 2 is the older architecture that 3xxx and 4xxx CPUs use. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

There are basically only 2 sockets: AM4 and AM5.

AM5 socket is on A620, B650, B650E, X670, X670E boards and supports 7000 series processors.

AM4 socket is on A320, B350, X370, B450, X470, A520, B550, X570 boards and supports everything else recent you could consider (5000 and 3000 plus some others).

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

Latest AMD processors are the AMD Ryzen 7000 series, just focus on that if you're going with an AMD build. forget the rest.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Latest AMD processors are the AMD Ryzen 7000 series, just focus on that if you're going with an AMD build. forget the rest.

I mean, 5000 is great for budget builds... certainly shouldn't be overlooked.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

23 minutes ago, pat24601 said:

and are there different versions of the processors that use the same physical socket and aren't compatible? 

AMD made four generations of CPU from 2017 to 2021 that all use the same socket, actually. The thoughtless bastards should just change platforms every other year so people have to buy a new board if they want to upgrade but never need to do any research, I guess.

I honestly have no idea why you can't grasp AMD's CPU numbering if you can grasp Intel's. Leading digit is the generation so higher is newer, higher following digits are generally more powerful... exactly the same as Intel. Why is a 5700 being a newer, somewhat more high-end chip than a 3600 harder to comprehend than a 12600 being newer and somewhat higher in the lineup than a 10400?

Zen 1: Chips numbered 1xxx

Zen+: Chips numbered 2xxx

Zen 2: Chips numbered 3xxx

Zen 3: Chips numbered 5xxx

All of these use AM4 boards, and all of them can be used on the very earliest AM4 boards released back in 2017, if the board manufacturer bothered to release a BIOS update. 

Zen 4: Chips numbered 7xxx, use the new AM5 socket.

Chips with numbers ending in G are APU's and have integrated graphics whereas no other Ryzen CPU's do, and they were also a generation behind what the model number suggests in the earlier years, that's probably the most confusing thing about Ryzen numbering but none of that is really relevant anymore. 

Chips with numbers ending in X have slightly higher factory clocks and overclocking potential than the non-X ones but all Ryzen CPU's are unlocked for overclocking and the X chips don't really have a meaningful advantage for the most part.

Chips with numbers ending in X3D use AMD's new 3D V-Cache concept. At the moment is the 5800X3D is the only one on the market but X3D models of Zen 3 chips will come next year. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Pretty much any AM4 board you order nowadays is going to support all of the AM4 cpus you're likely looking at.

Zen(1000), Zen+(2000/refresh of 1000), Zen 2(3000) and Zen 3(5000) are the architectures, the same way you have Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake and the 10 other __ Lake's with Intel.

CPU compatibility is more so placed on the motherboard rather than the chipset, things can get confusing with your more fringe boards/setups where running a X370 board from early 2017 may have different bios revisions which may not support both a 1700x and a 5800x3d with the same bios. Even then, compatibility is generally only lost for those bristol ridge AM3 port socket heaters and less important skus.

Outside of trying to update your Skylake era AM4 board to support something that released just 8 months ago, you're not going to encounter any issues and certainly none which you wouldn't already have the hardware or ability to just hit it with a bios flashback to get whatever is in the socket running.

If it fits in the socket, you'll likely be able to get it running which for me is the largest value add possible for a platform in my opinion.

22 minutes ago, pat24601 said:

Has anyone made a good guide on understanding AMD processors and compatible MB's?

I'd look at it much more simply than that. If buying new, buy a mobo with chipset that was released at the same time as the CPU so you know they probably work together without fuss. I'd avoid mix and match of generations where possible. You do have to double check compatibility and in the most likely combination of older mobo with newer CPU, you may not get all features of the CPU. This applies regardless of CPU manufacturer.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible