Ubuntu for Raspberry Pi 3 B+

Ubuntu has a desktop version for Raspberry Pi 4. Does anyone here have used a ubuntu version for Raspberry Pi 3 B+

The RPi 3B+ is much slower than the RPi 4, and it isn't really up to the task of running desktop Ubuntu. You could run Ubuntu Server if you don't need a desktop environment, or alternatively Raspbian and Armbian work pretty well on ARM A53 chips like the 3B+. They're Debian derivatives like Ubuntu is, so they're not too different.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, BobVonBob said:

The RPi 3B+ is much slower than the RPi 4, and it really isn't up to the task of running desktop Ubuntu. You could run Ubuntu Server if you don't need a desktop environment, or alternatively Raspbian and Armbian work pretty well on ARM A53 chips like the 3B+. They're Debian derivatives like Ubuntu is, so they're not too different.

i've been delving into the why, the reason ubuntu desktop doesnt ship for anything lower than pi4 is specificly that it needs 4GB RAM, and 3b+ only came with 1GB.

having that said... raspbian is your answer here.. it's actually gotten quite decent.

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2022 at 5:40 PM, Beorn_Bear said:

Ubuntu has a desktop version for Raspberry Pi 4. Does anyone here have used a ubuntu version for Raspberry Pi 3 B+

I know I'm very late to the party, but I don't believe there is an Ubuntu version available for the Pi 3 as it uses a 32 bit architecture and Ubuntu only runs on 64 bit machines. Even if there was a 32 bit version, a Pi 3 would run it as slow as molasses. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2022 at 4:40 PM, Beorn_Bear said:

According the Ubuntu, Ubuntu Desktop is certified only for Pi 4 due to the RAM requirements.

Like others have mentioned, you could try the server or core versions.  

Is there a particular function/feature that Ubuntu supports that Raspberry PI OS does not?  

https://ubuntu.com/download/raspberry-pi

image.thumb.png.be5c0dc6d891e483f73bc352a21b8b24.png

image.thumb.png.2bfec4395ecc448ace03234fa806c645.png

RTX 3080Ti Ryzen 5 3600 MSI Gaming Edge WiFi 32Gb DDR4 3600