Slow Wifi 6 speeds in home network

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions regarding Wifi 6 and the speeds you're supposed to get in the LAN. This has nothing to do with internet speed, but how fast stuff like file transfers etc happen inside the LAN. I did some testing on the network and it doesn't make sense that the connection is so slow when using wireless. Unless I am missing something, and that is why I am here.

Setup:

Asus AX56U Router (Wifi 6 enabled) (Latest Firmware)

1x PC with Intel Wifi 6 AX200 Adapter, and 1x 2.5Gb LAN Port

1x Laptop with Intel Wifi 6 AX201 Adapter.

Guest Networks and QoS are turned off. All firewalls on PC and Laptop are turned off during the tests.

There were only one other laptop on the network at the time, but it wasn't being used.

The results made no difference whether my phone was on the network or not, so I know it's not saturation of the bandwidth.

Tests were done with a 20MB packet size using LAN Speed Test. Tried different packet sizes, but it made no real difference, the tests just took longer to complete.

According to the product page, the router is capable of up to 1201Mbps, and I realise this is only a theoretical speed, but the speeds I'm getting on file transfer or tests is a lot lower. My results were as follows:

Control Test (Wired):

500Mbps W, 650Mbps R

PC Wired, Laptop Wifi:

259Mbps W, 189Mbps R

PC Wireless, Laptop Wired:

225Mbps W, 449Mbps R

All Wireless:

127Mbps W, 149Mbps R

When I turned on QoS, it made no real difference, but with the Guest Networks it tanked on all tests, with the All wireless connection to around 70Mbps both R and W.

I realise that the advertised speeds aren't what you would expect in real world conditions, but getting less than 10% of the advertised speed when in a full wireless network doesn't seem right. I am also aware that Wifi 6 doesn't mean faster network speeds than perhaps 5Gz, but allows for more bandwidth and devices to connect.

If somebody can explain to me why things might be so slow, how I can improve it, or point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

4 hours ago, SmallCharlie said:

If somebody can explain to me why things might be so slow, how I can improve it, or point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

What wireless settings are you using on the Asus?

How far are the wireless clients from the router?

What is the maximum read/write speeds of the storage media on each computer?

2 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

What wireless settings are you using on the Asus?

How far are the wireless clients from the router?

What is the maximum read/write speeds of the storage media on each computer?

Not sure what you mean by settings, but I'm using mostly the defaults and the Dual SSID Smart Connect Feature is enabled.

Each of the devices are in the same room when testing, and within a couple of feet from the Router.

Each of the devices has an NVMe drive with 3000+ R/W on them.