Should I invest more money into the motherboard or a sound card?

PancakeGiraffe

Hi. So, I'm stuck in a bit of a dilemma here. Call me a guy who's arrogant or just curious, but I have to choose between these two choices:

An Asus Maximus VI Gene

or

An Asus H81M-PLUS and an Asus Xonar Essence STX

I might not consider myself an audiophile, but I do appreciate good sound. I am planning on a new build in which I will use for gaming and video editing, with a little bit of overclocking involved. Would it make more sense to go with the onboard solution or should I get a dedicated sound card?

Thanks in advance.

Hi. So, I'm stuck in a bit of a dilemma here. Call me a guy who's arrogant or just curious, but I have to choose between these two choices:

An Asus Maximus VI Gene

or

An Asus H81M-PLUS and an Asus Xonar Essence STX

I might not consider myself an audiophile, but I do appreciate good sound. I am planning on a new build in which I will use for gaming and video editing, with a little bit of overclocking involved. Would it make more sense to go with the onboard solution or should I get a dedicated sound card?

Thanks in advance.

Gene

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/18617-the-audio-boards-frequently-asked-questions-pre-answered/page-13#entry1967963

Look at the part about sound cards. But basically on board audio mostly isn't that bad. In fact there's stuff to say with most sound cards on board in comparison is actually better.

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

i would like to chime in, a better motherboard will last longer and if the audio on it is an issue its always easier to add a sound card. the other option puts you in the position where you may loose out on some nice motherboard features but gain an after market sound card. 

In short i would always go for the best motherboard and if the sound is an issue you can always add a sound card later.

My Setup:

CPU: I7-3930k @ 4.5GHz | Cooling: Corsair H100 in PP /w NF-F12 | MOBO: Asus P9X79 WS LGA 2011 | RAM  32 GB Mushkin Redline @  2133  | GPU:  (2) Sapphire 7970 GHz 6G edition | Case:  NZXT Switch 810 | Storage: Raid 0: Mushkin ssd total 480 GB | PSU: XFX ProSeries 1250W

Displays: (3) Acer GD235HZbid (120 hz) with a Ergotech Triple Monitor ArmStand /w telescoping wings | Keyboard: Xarmor black backlight mechanical with cherry blues | Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD  | Sound: Logitech 5.1 Z-5500 and Astro A-40's

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/18617-the-audio-boards-frequently-asked-questions-pre-answered/page-13#entry1967963

Look at the part about sound cards. But basically on board audio mostly isn't that bad. In fact there's stuff to say with most sound cards on board in comparison is actually better.

Ahaha...funny that. I was actually on that page before you posted this. Thanks for the input!

i would like to chime in, a better motherboard will last longer and if the audio on it is an issue its always easier to add a sound card. the other option puts you in the position where you may loose out on some nice motherboard features but gain an after market sound card. 

In short i would always go for the best motherboard and if the sound is an issue you can always add a sound card later.

Good advice, looks like I won't be getting a sound card after all.

Most on-board these days isn't at all bad.