Unraid DOES have SSD TRIM support as of version 6.11 (From WAN show)

Mihle
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,
On 6/11/2023 at 1:31 AM, Mihle said:

@LinusTech You again said Unraid does not have TRIM support in the Newest video, but it does with version 6.11.

@jakkuh_t

In the context of the video we were making I would have thought it was pretty clear that I meant that it doesn't support it in the array.

I can see i should have been more clear. 

Move this to the right place if needed, but I think its more likely for @LinusTech to see this if its in General.

Linus said he was setting up a server with TrueNAS because Unraid didnt have TRIM support for SSDs on WAN show.

Unraid does have SSD TRIM support as of version 6.11.
Before that you could get it with a plugin, but now its included in Unraid.

Settings for it is under scheduler in settings.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

17 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Move this to the right place if needed, but I think its more likely for @LinusTech to see this if its in General.

Linus said he was setting up a server with TrueNAS because Unraid didnt have TRIM support for SSDs on WAN show.

Unraid does have SSD TRIM support as of version 6.11.
Before that you could get it with a plugin, but now its included in Unraid.

Settings for it is under scheduler in settings.

Could you provide a link/screenshot? I looked but couldn't find it in the 6.11 release notes 😛

32 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Could you provide a link/screenshot? I looked but couldn't find it in the 6.11 release notes 😛

From the 6.11.0 release notes: https://unraid.net/blog/6-11-stable

image.png.d2d60e26e9afcc6245db668803ea23ed.png

In Scheduler settings in Unraid:

image.thumb.png.eaef7acd690a69077de5a0abb4066844.png

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

so unraid poor doc strikes again.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

• 6 months later...

@LinusTech You again said Unraid does not have TRIM support in the Newest video, but it does with version 6.11.

@jakkuh_t

-Stephen Hawking

The Unraid Array does not support trim, which is likely what Linus is referring too.

Sorry to the Unraid diehards out there  but the main benefit of Unraid is using whatever drives i have lying around and throwing it into an Unraid array. Yes even i still use Unraid, because there are many dockers, plugins and guides, but the main thing that pulls us all in at the beginning is the flexibility and cost effectiveness of the Array. Reducing that hard to jump over barrier of entry of getting a worthwhile NAS up and running.

Don't even bother mentioning pools, or cache it's not the same thing.

If i had drives of all the same size, ZFS or even old Raid 5 is an option on any Operating System.

I've been an Unraid user for many many years but i really hope the Unraid team get a wiggle on for supporting trim on an all SSD array, before i start archiving old media to the cloud and throw my collection of SSD's into multiple ZFS pools on TrueNas

On 6/11/2023 at 1:31 AM, Mihle said:

@jakkuh_t

In the context of the video we were making I would have thought it was pretty clear that I meant that it doesn't support it in the array.

1 hour ago, Xomniuri said:

The Unraid Array does not support trim, which is likely what Linus is referring too.

Sorry to the Unraid diehards out there  but the main benefit of Unraid is using whatever drives i have lying around and throwing it into an Unraid array. Yes even i still use Unraid, because there are many dockers, plugins and guides, but the main thing that pulls us all in at the beginning is the flexibility and cost effectiveness of the Array. Reducing that hard to jump over barrier of entry of getting a worthwhile NAS up and running.

Don't even bother mentioning pools, or cache it's not the same thing.

If i had drives of all the same size, ZFS or even old Raid 5 is an option on any Operating System.

I've been an Unraid user for many many years but i really hope the Unraid team get a wiggle on for supporting trim on an all SSD array, before i start archiving old media to the cloud and throw my collection of SSD's into multiple ZFS pools on TrueNas

32 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Oh, I think I brainfarted a little bit, sorry.

Thanks for making this thread have more correct information.

*Hides*

-Stephen Hawking

Just to through I curveball, I have an array of only SSD's "one in parity, one in the array"

Just for a test I enabled this setting, and in fact did run TRIM on the array and cleared out 11 GiB.
I know I know I have been told not to run SSD's in unraid like this is it will ruin the parity's but is fine so far, I have just been living on the darkside & have a remote backup of everything.

image.thumb.png.93baae27458f781da7ccdcc8ea783972.png

image.png.107240ebfd17df19c895c0f86c7747ad.png