What $1,000,000 of water cooling looks like - Building Shadow's Power Upgrade

mynameGeoff

Thanks to Shadow for sponsoring today's video! Get 20% off the first month of your Shadow PC subscription, with or without the Power Upgrade with code LTT at https://shdw.me/LTT_linus

We partnered with Shadow to take a deep dive into how their Power Upgrade is made from assembly to deployment. Come join Luke Lafreniere in exploring OVHcloud's facilities in France and see what happens behind the scenes in a data center that's completely water-cooled!

I don't know how well Floatplane is well connected and satisfied about OVH services. Maybe the whole group is fine and happy about, and there's nothing wrong about that. However, some customers, partners and a bit myself are still coughing out dust and ashes, with some tears dripping from Strasbourg.

Long story short: this "tale" is about 4 deployments known as SBG from 1 to 4 that gone burnt (some totally, some partially) during march 2021. Bigger the company, bigger can be the issues if something big happen. However, the services were sold poorly (no offsite backup as default) and realised worse (as far as i can remember, UPS were the flaming match).

So adding insult to injury, things werent working for a bit too much, without any chance to recover data and that put a firemark (pun intended) "HELL, NO. NOT EVER AGAIN" on OVH for quite close to 100%.

It's a "me" problem? Maybe. But there are too big patches of burnt skin to allow OVH to use hefty quantiies of makeup for try to hide that. It's still too soon.

Making business problems happen, I am aware. However they sell themselves like experts who know how and what to do.

SBG1 to 4 tells that the were not, and with humongus damage size. 

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

whats the point of doing a "facility tour" if half the stuff cant be shown?

Great to see Luke get to dust off his presenter hat! He should get to do more cloud computing and server videos with Jake and Anthony; he could help fill in the deployment side of the equation since he's had one foot in that world while building Floatplane. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

The tour was kinda shallow and missing out on many interesting details. What's the point of flying to France when you can't even show how the manage to securely connect the servers to the water grid, how the water flows, gets chilled and so on.

der8auers tour of a huge German data center a while ago remains by far the most interesting tour of this kind.

Well, I has a dedi and a vps in one of there France DC's that burnt down man I would of loved the data on there but water cooling mistakes happen.

15 hours ago, Dracarris said:

The tour was kinda shallow and missing out on many interesting details. What's the point of flying to France when you can't even show how the manage to securely connect the servers to the water grid, how the water flows, gets chilled and so on.

der8auers tour of a huge German data center a while ago remains by far the most interesting tour of this kind.

One just buy component and make server

The other make their own technology on waterblock/chiller/riser.... 

Its pretty rare OVH allow someone to share that type of content 

1 hour ago, davideneco said:

One just buy component and make server

The other make their own technology on waterblock/chiller/riser.... 

Its pretty rare OVH allow someone to share that type of content 

The provider in the video in question also has quite some custom strategies to build a data center that were shown in detail.

21 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

whats the point of doing a "facility tour" if half the stuff cant be shown?

https://goo.gl/maps/5SaJnqdDaW6qmLj56

Took me almost a minute to find their data centre. 😅

image.thumb.png.b6a78fdeba2e34d5d2ffdc9a8c4f2f73.png

BTW:

But the 220 kV that they're delivering to the OVH building is just for OVH. That's  their main intake. Just in case there is something is wrong with that, across the building on the other side, underground, they have more additional power lines bringing in 20 kV and if all of that isn't working, they have some huge generators. Each one gives 1 MW of power when it's running and can run for up to 14 hours.

.".. and if all of that isn't enough, right behind the building is the largest nuclear power plant of the country." - Missed opportunity.

21 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

https://goo.gl/maps/5SaJnqdDaW6qmLj56

Took me almost a minute to find their data centre. 😅

image.thumb.png.b6a78fdeba2e34d5d2ffdc9a8c4f2f73.png

this alone should make techtubers blacklist this facility. what an absolute bullshit. dont call people if you dont want to show a fucking body of water

13 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

this alone should make techtubers blacklist this facility. what an absolute bullshit. dont call people if you dont want to show a fucking body of water

I can't say I can figure out how this tour makes sense - there is a road nearby so anyone with a car could drive there and look at the heat exchangers and the reservoirs but OVH doesn't let Luke show them. Tech looks really cool but as a customer it would boil down to price - every cloud offers systems with GPUs today.