RX 640 4GB GDDR5

mtuchols2

hey guys ive been using an ax7750 for the past 5 years and im upgrading to the rx 640. i came to ask is it good since im having second thoughts after benchmarks ive seen online. i cant find much about this card at all on the internet its a dell oem version need an answer asap as i am buying it tommorow

The RX 640 is a mobile GPU. Are you confusing it with the RX 6400 which is a desktop card?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

The RX 640 is a mobile GPU. Are you confusing it with the RX 6400 which is a desktop card?

no not at all im being sold it for 40 euros it is a dell oem variant i believe 

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

from what i have seen the specs seem good 4gb of gddr5 should pair well with my i5 10500 correct me if i am wrong please

Just now, mtuchols2 said:

from what i have seen the specs seem good 4gb of gddr5 should pair well with my i5 10500 correct me if i am wrong please

Ok… so you're talking about the RX 6400, since you can't buy an RX 640 separately.

The RX 6400 is the slowest GPU you can get from the RX 6000 series. It should also really be paired with PCIe 4.0, otherwise you lose a good chunk of its already meager performance: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6400-pci-express-30-scaling/

The i5-10500 does not support PCIe 4.0. I'd really look into getting at least an RX 6600 (the RX 6500 XT has the same PCIe issue, due to also having only x4 lanes)

it will be for casual gaming, gta 5 and euro truck sim 2 nothing crazy 1080p 60fps is my goal with nice graphic settings. my current gpu runs ets2 at around 50-40 on ets2 currently on most settings low 1080p

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

Ok… so you're talking about the RX 6400, since you can't buy an RX 640 separately.

The RX 6400 is the slowest GPU you can get from the RX 6000 series. It should also really be paired with PCIe 4.0, otherwise you lose a good chunk of its already meager performance: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6400-pci-express-30-scaling/

The i5-10500 does not support PCIe 4.0. I'd really look into getting at least an RX 6600 (the RX 6500 XT has the same PCIe issue, due to also having only x4 lanes)

no no no i can send you a link to what i am buying https://www.adverts.ie/graphics-cards/new-amd-radeon-rx-640-4gb/28095699 this should be good for a dell optiplex build?

no no no i can send you a link to what i am buying https://www.adverts.ie/graphics-cards/new-amd-radeon-rx-640-4gb/28095699 this should be good for a dell optiplex build?

Interesting. Because it really is primarily a laptop card.

From what I can tell the first half of the video is on normal details and just about reaches 60 fps. The second half is high details and barely reaches 20 fps.

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

From what I can tell the first half of the video is on normal details and just about reaches 60 fps. The second half is high details and barely reaches 20 fps.

i seen that video the card there was a 2 gig variant, i dont know what to buy now.

5 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

will it out preform my 7750? 1gb of gddr5 128bit

will it out preform my 7750? 1gb of gddr5 128bit

It should outperform the 7750, but it is a low end mobile GPU, that is a rebrand of the RX 550, so technically 4 years old.

More VRAM will allow for higher texture resolution, but won't do much for its performance overall.

If you've seen the benchmark(s) and you think the performance is acceptable at that price, go for it.

1 minute ago, NF-A12x25 said:

Garbage card don’t buy it. Buy at least an rx580

on a tight budget here cant splooge lots of money like that my system wouldnt have the power for it either

1 minute ago, mtuchols2 said:

on a tight budget here cant splooge lots of money like that my system wouldnt have the power for it either

How much is the 640?

It seems to be a rx550 which is a 30$ used card.

5 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

It should outperform the 7750, but it is a low end mobile GPU, that is a rebrand of the RX 550, so technically 4 years old.

More VRAM will allow for higher texture resolution, but won't do much for its performance overall.

If you've seen the benchmark(s) and you think the performance is acceptable at that price, go for it.

for 40 bucks im gonna risk it, ill let you guys know if it preforms alright 

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

How much is the 640?

the 640 i am buying is 40 euros here, prices for pc parts are crazy in ireland at the moment

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

How much is the 640?

cards on ebay.ie are alright but then postage is 30 euro