Edward Snowden Approved TAILS Operating System v1.0 release

Not sure if this has been posted before, I did a quick search but found little.

Source: PCMagazine , Engadget, CNET

So the OS that Edward Snowden supposedly used during his communications with journalists is no longer in Beta and is in Stable Version 1.0. The OS, TAILS (The Amnesiac Incognito Live System), is a linux based distro which acts as an amnesiac system, saving none of your files, browsing data or any data whatsoever.The OS has a web browser, office suite, instant messenger and even a photo editor. Some sites are blocked, such as purchasing sites and sites needing log-in identification, so the user is incredibly difficult to track as they browse the web.

From CNET: "After booting up with the Linux-based software from a DVD, SD card, or USB drive, a computer can travel around the Internet without leaving a trace of its activity on the device unless explicitly told to do so."

The OS is obviously minimal in nature and intent, so the question begging to be asked is, who is this for apart from highly confidential informants who need absolute security? I understand the need for security especially in the wake of the NSA leaks, but will anyone in the community take up this OS as an everyday thing or just for novelty?

i7-4930k Workstation | Macbook Pro Retina w/Windows 10

If you want to survive out here, you've got to know where your towel is.

I think that an OS that doesn't allow you to have persistent storage of your data isn't likely to take off any time soon. I do however see its use as a means of delivering information if you don't want to be identified or have any records of the delivery on your computer.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

The OS is obviously minimal in nature and intent, so the question begging to be asked is, who is this for apart from highly confidential informants who need absolute security? I understand the need for security especially in the wake of the NSA leaks, but will anyone in the community take up this OS as an everyday thing or just for novelty?

might try it out on one of my spare 11.6" sized laptops, might be good for travelling with :P

Target market would be people that deal in top secret information/research, politicians/government etc - people that need to remain hidden 

link to the OS

https://tails.boum.org/

and what it doesn't protect against

https://tails.boum.org/doc/about/warning/index.en.html

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Seems really cool. I might install it on my old dell and see if it even runs.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I downloaded tails 0.10.2 version a while back and will need to download and burn this one too. I didn't play around with it a ton but would like to once i get a laptop for linux distros. I think this would be good for executives when they are on the move or out of country. My dad is in Israel right now for business and I would think he could utilize some of the tools on this OS. As a day to day OS, I don't think so. It's extremely hard to use TOR as your only browser because it's so slow and some sites are restricted but that is what your paying for. (hypothetically speaking that is)

This is some /r/circlejerk stuff.

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

Not sure if this has been posted before, I did a quick search but found little.

Source: PCMagazine , Engadget, CNET

So the OS that Edward Snowden supposedly used during his communications with journalists is no longer in Beta and is in Stable Version 1.0. The OS, TAILS (The Amnesiac Incognito Live System), is a linux based distro which acts as an amnesiac system, saving none of your files, browsing data or any data whatsoever.The OS has a web browser, office suite, instant messenger and even a photo editor. Some sites are blocked, such as purchasing sites and sites needing log-in identification, so the user is incredibly difficult to track as they browse the web.

From CNET: "After booting up with the Linux-based software from a DVD, SD card, or USB drive, a computer can travel around the Internet without leaving a trace of its activity on the device unless explicitly told to do so."

wonder what kind of backdoors are handbuilt into large distro's like windows and mac os.

but jussayin, for browser based security i can't see firefox being less secure.

wonder what kind of backdoors are handbuilt into large distro's like windows and mac os.

but jussayin, for browser based security i can't see firefox being less secure.

Please go on? I'm not good with Internet security... What is insecure about Firefox or isn't!?

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Since v0.16 Snowden, late much.

For true benefits you do not install it but run it off the thumb drive, (you've been war... I mean alerted). Bonus points for those who change the MAC address.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Please go on? I'm not good with Internet security... What is insecure about Firefox or isn't!?

many of the add-ons created for firefox can basically make it a veritable fortress. addons like:

disconnect - disabled cookie tracking among other things

bluhell - firewall/tracking disabler

https everywhere - forces http secured connections on sites that have the capability

lastpass (which allows you to use long-alphanumerical passwords and store them locally so you don't need to remember you just use a master password that is also stored locally which can be simple)

adblock plus (which is for protection against spam or viral imbedded ads)

dolus - xforward header/re-router (generates fake ip addresses... imagine a smokescreen behind a vpn)

mafiaa fire - dancer proxy. that means it constantly regenerates/re-routes link/ip/website requests through random proxies. makes tracking much more difficult..

duckduckgo tor - anonymous web searches.

tor-proxy - standard anonymity/tunneler program.

firefox built in features have

privacy windows which force off things like cookies javascript, flash etc.

tracking options

certificate managers etc.

if you want firefox to be secure it can get very very secure.

p.s. some firefox users are trying to create an embedded spoofer type program you can enable/disable with a hotkey. It will mask your mac and ip address, but that has some long reaching connotations so it will probably never see the light of day.

many of the add-ons created for firefox can basically make it a veritable fortress. addons like:

disconnect - disabled cookie tracking among other things

bluhell - firewall/tracking disabler

https everywhere - forces http secured connections on sites that have the capability

lastpass (which allows you to use long-alphanumerical passwords and store them locally so you don't need to remember you just use a master password that is also stored locally which can be simple)

adblock plus (which is for protection against spam or viral imbedded ads)

dolus - xforward header/re-router (generates fake ip addresses... imagine a smokescreen behind a vpn)

mafiaa fire - dancer proxy. that means it constantly regenerates/re-routes link/ip/website requests through random proxies. makes tracking much more difficult..

duckduckgo tor - anonymous web searches.

tor-proxy - standard anonymity/tunneler program.

firefox built in features have

privacy windows which force off things like cookies javascript, flash etc.

tracking options

certificate managers etc.

if you want firefox to be secure it can get very very secure.

Ahhh you were saying it is secure! Cool I wasn't sure... Very tired when I read that... xD Yeah I use a lot of those things... (including duck duck go =3 )

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?