Dell’s Proprietary laptop RAM is a GOOD thing. Hear me out.

AlexTheGreatish

is bad and good.

one major reason it being very "Proprietary" in its current design.

Although that could be solved, because it will suck if each model has a different size and the space it might take or need. For more RAM (like dual sticks), I guess its maybe the best solution either way. Also how much is lost in the middle connection from the middle piece pins to the motherboard pins.

This is one of the rare occassions that PC companies decided they might try doing things differently than they have for the past 30 years. 

Sure, Dell sometimes does weird shit (XPS 13 Plus) just to differentiate themselves from others (even Apple put back some ports while Dell and Lenovo just removed them all), but this is really nice.

It won't come anywhere near the level of bandwidth and efficiency of Apple Silion or any similar Package-on-Package design, but it will surely improve the terrible specs of (SO)DIMMs.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

29 minutes ago, Error 52 said:

I see LMG has found a new title format.

<controversial take>. Hear me out.

This was not necessary if the chip had 3D V-Cache...

5800X3D is fine even with single channel 1866/2133 ram because of it.

Made In Brazil 🇧🇷

For anyone looking for a workstation i would not recommend this laptop. it's loud and it has cpu throttling issues, multi threaded performance drops off and goes to a level compared to the 11th gen intel cpu's. Which is unacceptable for a laptop in this class (I wouldn't want it if i'm running a FEA simulation)

Source:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Precision-7670-workstation-review-Core-i7-12850HX-and-CAMM-RAM-debut.659067.0.html#toc-6

The same is the case with the 7770

To be fair. The CAMM standard is seemingly a decent thing. Partly hope for it to go places.

However, in regards to length matching of signal conductors, this is and isn't important.

From a signal integrity standpoint, length matching is actually bad. Since it requires longer traces to ensure that all traces are of the same length. And this extra length generally adds more attenuation to our signal, effectively closing the eye when we add on typical noise on top.

But from ease of handing the received signal, it is far far easier if it all arrives synchronously, rather than at some arbitrary skew.

Now, chip manufacturers can add de-skewing into the chip. This is absolutely nothing new. But this isn't part of any current memory interface standard. (effectively it is often just a selection of binary weighted delay lines on the chip that the receiver can pick among to "tune" the signals into alignment. Often though with limited capabilities as in only able to handle a skew of up to some amount of mm. But alignment is often only critical to a couple of 10th's of a mm, and with only a few delay lines one can trivially de-skew whole cm. And that is a lot. And yes, de-skewing will require that the memory controller handshakes a bit more with the memory chip before it can actually send data, but this will only add a few µs to your precious boot time.)

Personally, I hope DDR6 will have on chip de-skewing. And I am actually surprised that DDR5 didn't get that. (actually surprised that even DDR3 didn't have it, since it is a very simple feature to add that in turn saves tons of space.)

This video had terrible editing. At 4:01 Alex is explaining "here's the CPU and here's the connector" - well where is here? I can see a close up of the heatsink and CAMM board, but that's about it. No connector or CPU location position markings in sight. Only time you see the connector (as far as I noticed) is at 5:26 and that's for like second and a half. At that point the statement made minute and half prior made sense. I had to watch this part multiple times before I noticed the clip where the connector was shown.

Low-key thought I have to come and ask someone on forums to explain how CAMM works as the "how CAMM works" video was more about how SO-DIMM works. Not hating, but when explaining something like this, make sure the visuals match and are also clearly show what is being said.

Nice. Now you can call out Dell for their pathetic battery replacement support - I am still years later forced to hunt for batteries on 3rd party websites for my XPS 13 because the manufacturer OUTRIGHT REFUSES to sell them and locks down their system boards making installation of the few compatible batteries you do find a ROYAL PITA. Michael Dell is just as, if not more, corrupt than Steve Jobs and Tim Cook - these are people who have absolutely ZERO CONSCIENCE and no business running a company, let alone telling consumers what is right! That's big tech today = they take your money while you take it up the crack and have them poke you in the eye as a "thank you".

🖕Do you really expect me to continue to be a Dell customer after an experience like that???