How do I transfer file from my laptop to my phone

Zastonish

I plugged in my phone in my laptop before and it was set to charge I tried again to transfer a file yet it won't show me my phone but it's still charging both are Huawei products

My phone shows a selection menu when I plug it into a computer  which lets me choose between charging only, showing the phone to the pc as a digital camera (to transfer pictures or print pictures) or to show the phone or a generic storage device.

With the last option, you can then go in Windows Explorer and see the phone kind of like a  drive letter, and you can browse to your file on the phone and drag it over (or use copy paste).

Alternatively, you could set up a ftp server on your computer and with the phone connected to your home network, you could use a ftp client on your phone (I use AndFTP) to connect to the ftp server on your computer and transfer the file to the computer.

Filezilla FTP server can be installed and configured in less than 5 minutes and when you're done, you can disable it until you need it again, or uninstall it. 

Honestly would've been helpful if you could mention the exact phone model you have, which Android version it is running, etc. Generally what you want is to enable MTP (File transfer). When you plug in your device to your PC, there should be a notification that asks what do you want to do with the connection, it defaults to "charging only". Tap on that and change it to file transfer, see if it then appears on your PC. Otherwise you might have to install additional proprietary software like HiSuite, though usually this isn't necessary

50 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Alternatively, you could set up a ftp server on your computer and with the phone connected to your home network, you could use a ftp client on your phone (I use AndFTP) to connect to the ftp server on your computer and transfer the file to the computer.

There's an app for that, WiFi FTP Server. Essentially it hosts a file server from your phone which you can access from your PC. I briefly discussed about it here.

TL;DR it's faster and easier than USB and doesn't require installing drivers, also works cross-platform.

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

I don't recall the exact details, but for my P6pro I had to enable USB transfer every time. The developer settings let you enable that permanently. 

Google your phone how to do that. I'm sure it is a security measure to not have it enabled oob. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro