Goodbye NVIDIA. – AMD RDNA3 Announcement

AlexTheGreatish
4 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Haven't you seen? It's actually neither Modern Warfare 2 nor Modern Warfare II. It is Modern II Warfare. Whoever came up with the ideas of spec ops looking like Rob Zombie movie characters and this abbreviation needs to be bagged...

Ry0b7FGqNjHQvNRpRE9RjU3I.png

It clearly states: Modern Warfare Ⓡ II

As for the skull idea... there are troops that (some us seal groups included) that use skull masks, bandanas or camouflage to intimidate the enemy 

Soldiers in skull mask | Special ops, Special forces ...Echoes of 1989 as foreign forces withdraw from Afghanistan - BBC NewsInside the world's most fearsome special forces from Iraq's skull-faced  commandos to Russia's secret death squads | The US SunUkraine crisis: Nato sees 'significant' Russian troop pullback - BBC News

I take it that even though AMD announced the hardware they havn't sent review units out to press yet?  @AlexTheGreatishAny word on when you guys expect to get hands on hardware?

2 hours ago, papajo said:

It clearly states: Modern Warfare Ⓡ II

As for the skull idea... there are troops that (some us seal groups included) that use skull masks, bandanas or camouflage to intimidate the enemy 

Soldiers in skull mask | Special ops, Special forces ...Echoes of 1989 as foreign forces withdraw from Afghanistan - BBC NewsInside the world's most fearsome special forces from Iraq's skull-faced  commandos to Russia's secret death squads | The US SunUkraine crisis: Nato sees 'significant' Russian troop pullback - BBC News

The II in the middle makes it read as Modern II Warfare, not Modern Warfare 2. Also, these guys are not exactly soldiers, they're much more like contractors or something. I'd expect them to be like this and not like a bunch of clowns:

the-last-heist-2016-fragman_9290118-1542

I think too many people put stock into Ray Tracing when it isn't that big a deal. I got spoiled with Nvidia during the reign of the 1000 series, but go AMD!

18 hours ago, kumicota said:

Big dies are a PiTA to make and manufacture, when you're doing chips for something(besides the maintenance and pre-production cost), you basically pay it by wafer, for example a 300mm² wafer 5n from TSMC is roughly about 17k per wafer, besides that you have about 80% of yield per wafer, so you basically lose 20% of the chips on every 17k wafer that you buy and this yield rate decreases more if you ask for bigger dies.

Another problem with wafers is that they are round and this yield don't take it in consideration(IIRC), so you lose more a few chips that can't be made because it's on the corners of a circle. This make that Nvidia big monolithic dies to be expensive and hard to make, which is why AMD and others is pushing to MCM and chiplets(which has it's own series of drawbacks too) designs, because you retain the easier manufacturing of smaller dies but you have almost the same performance as a monolithic design for less.

Absolutely. Larger dies = poorer yields. However, I was really hoping to see large GPUs from AMD, now that they've finally transitioned to chiplets. 

I think they should release a halo product to compete with the 4090. Like the R9 Fury X whose Fiji GPU was nearly 600mm2. They're hardly pushing the boundary with Navi 31 at 533mm2 with a 308mm2 main chip, as per TechPowerUp. 

Imagine if they push the boundary of consumer GPUs with a combined die area of something around ~700-800mm2! With chiplets, they finally can. Their Epyc CPUs are well over a 1,000mm2, after all. 

image.png.ac9fa4dd9c8e9be3944da7fd3b18a727.png

22 hours ago, Motifator said:

The II in the middle makes it read as Modern II Warfare

image.png.350897c8930dc9d86a8e551688b4c4fe.png

I dont know how more clear to showcase the title, the fact that the part of the logo has an "M" two "I"s and a "W" is just a design decision for the logo, it is like calling McDonald's 

Just "M" because of McDonald's Logo and symbol, meaning, history, PNG, brand

As for the skull masks or camouflage or bandanas they are for intimidation (primary usacase for protection e.g against sand or stealth and the indimidation factor comes 2ndary) in a "game" where a split second can make the difference between life and death you want your enemy to waste that splitsecond at watching your "Strange" face even if you thoughts are "looks like a clown" the milliseconds your brain spends to make that thought when suddenly seeing such a guy are enough for him to pull the trigger faster and neutralize you. 

Besides that, this is your opinion (them looking like "clowns" )  obviously (Especially at night) dude's look intimidating if not scary 

2 hours ago, papajo said:

Besides that, this is your opinion (them looking like "clowns" )  obviously (Especially at night) dude's look intimidating if not scary 

The guys in the COD series are specialized ops as I said, they work like contractors. They are not troops or anything, the guy could take his mask off any time he wishes. They go in their dedicated ways about doing things, kind of like the guys FBI calls just like in that picture when their regular fellas aren't going to do a job. They're a special team of a small group, in and out.

You clearly aren't aware of COD games as much as I am, if you played the recent title, you would know how cringe the storyline goes. There are parts where Ghost, the character with the mask talks about how pretty his face is, yet doesn't want to take out his mask. Making him ultimately a Rob Zombie character on a psychological basis, just like Michael Myers. This guy is screwed in the head, and was going to get shot while talking about these things in the game lots of times. A lot of the cutscenes he almost died while talking about his mask to the other character named soap.

COD is made by headbutt people, this is why Nadia the massive female streamer is still streaming the game after she's been caught cheating online. This is why COD focuses on inserting streamers like Alex Zedra with bunny ears into the game instead of actually banning cheating streamers. I only play it because nothing else to play in its own regime. Otherwise, screw COD by any means.

On 11/4/2022 at 12:20 PM, JogerJ said:

NVIDIA is still king in machine learning use cases, unfortunately. I'm really hoping AMD could catch up in that area, but at least with cheaper competition hitting the markets hopefully NVIDIA would cut prices sooner

Honestly, AMD really needs to get their act together, have a long chat with Intel on how to challenge CUDA's dominance, and (preferably let Intel) come up with an improved version of OpenCL.

When Nvidia announces a new product (and actually includes performance numbers and head-to-heads with the competitor)

"Yea okay that's nice but.."

When AMD announces a new product (and shows no real performance numbers and head-to-heads with the competitor)

"GOODBYE NVIDIA, HERE LET US SHOW YOU SOME MADE UP PERFORMANCE NUMBERS THAT WILL NEVER ADD UP IN REAL LIFE"

AMD must be paying good shill money, honestly

On 11/4/2022 at 1:10 PM, Zando_ said:

They do. They make AM4 (chipset X570) motherboards, I don't know if they have any AM5s out but they do have a relationship with AMD on the mobo-side for at least one modern gen of boards. They also made AMD boards back when AM2/Nvidia chipsets were a thing. But yeah, they said they don't intend to make GPUs for anybody anymore, so very little chance of seeing an EVGA RX card unless they get desperate and/or AMD is actually better to work with than Nvidia. 

That was in reference to GPUs but you are correct - I had forgotten about the mobo side of things with EVGA. 🥴

With the X570 chipset it seems this is the first time EVGA has done a running AMD chipset-based board series and so far, is doing well with it.
We all know they used to do some releases with Nvidia chipsets but no more Nvidia "Anything" these days - EVGA stuck a fork in that deal because it's done.

And it's not like Nvidia really gives a shit because they don't.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 11/6/2022 at 5:00 PM, TheSquanchy said:

When Nvidia announces a new product (and actually includes performance numbers and head-to-heads with the competitor)

"Yea okay that's nice but.."

When AMD announces a new product (and shows no real performance numbers and head-to-heads with the competitor)

"GOODBYE NVIDIA, HERE LET US SHOW YOU SOME MADE UP PERFORMANCE NUMBERS THAT WILL NEVER ADD UP IN REAL LIFE"

AMD must be paying good shill money, honestly

lol, what a fucking Nvidia shill.

Look, mate, you can't trust any benchmark numbers from any corps, most people are still out there, saying things like "if their numbers are true, then damn, Nvidia is going to be dead in terms of pricing, but we'd much rather wait for 3rd-parties (e.g: Gamers Nexus, LTT, etc...) benchmarks to see if things like that are true".

Besides, the reason why AMD even got that much fucking support, is because of Nvidia's stupid-fucking-pricing! (like, $1600???) not to mention about their power connector/adapter issues that are talked about a lot on social media these days (RTX 4090 connectors kept on melting if they're not bent properly), pushing closed-source stuff in order to force their customers to stick with their cards in some cases (see: CUDA, DLSS, etc...), generally shady business practices (that can cause partners to quit, like EVGA), etc...

• 4 weeks later...

Seems that only 10000 cards will be available in EMEA (Europe, the Middle East and Africa) at launch:

However, according to a report by Igor’s Lab, only 10,000 Radeon RX 7900 XT and Radeon RX 7900 XTX graphics cards will be available for release in the European Economic Area.

https://germany.detailzero.com/technology/246252/Just-a-paper-launch-of-the-Radeon-RX-7900-XT-and-7900-XTX.html

I edit my posts more often than not