First time watercooling

Hi everyone,

I have recently bought myself a Corsair 650D case for a PC I am going to build in the end of July. My idea was also to integrate a custom loop. However I have some questions I'd like to ask.

1. How much lower will the temperatures be with a custom loop than with an H100i?

2. How high approximately will I be able to overclock an i5 4670K with it?

3. Is this tubing route good?

4. Are there any pumps that don't require 90 degree elbow fittings? like so

post-18949-0-32650700-1368125626_thumb.j

These are my current plans:

post-18949-0-58544600-1368125641.png

The components I'm planning to use are the:

Alphacool XT 45 280mm rad

EK 4.0 pump

random 19/13mm tubing

Alphacool 5.25" bay reservoir

Alphacool XP3 waterblock

Lots of fittings

I am also kind of worried on how I will be able to drain my water loop every 6 months or so and would appreciate some advice on that to help me make a decision.

Thanks!

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

If you want to easily drain it then put a quick disconnects at each pump connection.

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

If you want to easily drain it then put a quick disconnects at each pump connection.

Sorry but I am going to have to disagree with you there. Quick disconnects are fiddly and bad ones can cause restriction in loops. Don't ask me which ones are good I don't know.

A drain port is a much mere elegant solution.

You use a T splitter and a drain port plug on one of the exits. You can then drain the loop through the drain port.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

• Your temps will be # degrees lower. No one will give you a good estimate. There are too many variables. I can guarantee you it will be lower though. ;)

• You will be able to overclock it to # GHz. The chip isn't out yet publicly. So no-one will be able to say. Unless Linus pops in here.

That's a massive drop to your pump. Consider mounting it in a drive bay. Otherwise it looks good.

What pumps do require elbow fittings? A fitting is something you choose. I think you are asking about pump tops. Look them up.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

The temps will be quite a bit better, youve got a bigger, thicker radiator depending on the fpi it can be a bit better or a lot better temps plus it will be quieter.

Overclocking depends on the silicon lottery, you might be able to get 5.2Ghz or 4.2Ghz, theres no way to tell until you try it on your individual chip.

The route should be fine, as long as its res before pump its fine.

Dont know about the elbow fittings question, i assume you mean 45 or 90 degree fittings so it should depend on what fittings you buy.

I would personally get another cpu block because of the aesthetics but im not the one building it :)

Draining should be easy, put a large bowl under the pump, unscrew a fitting and its drained, cant really tell you anything else

• Your temps will be # degrees lower. No one will give you a good estimate. There are too many variables. I can guarantee you it will be lower though. ;)
  • You will be able to overclock it to # GHz. The chip isn't out yet publicly. So no-one will be able to say. Unless Linus pops in here.
  • That's a massive drop to your pump. Consider mounting it in a drive bay. Otherwise it looks good.
  • What pumps do require elbow fittings? A fitting is something you choose. I think you are asking about pump tops. Look them up.

What do you mean by massive drop to the pump? I've never watercooled so the more i know before i do it the better

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

• That's a massive drop to your pump. Consider mounting it in a drive bay. Otherwise it looks good.

I saw you are using an XSPC X20 750 pump... How do you drain your loop? (where is your T splitter if you have one)

Maybe I should also get a pump/res combo.

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

Flow rate is not really a big deal since eventually the water in your loop is all approximately the same temp. Only through adding more rad can you really see temp drops.

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

I saw you are using an XSPC X20 750 pump... How do you drain your loop? (where is your T splitter if you have one)

Maybe I should also get a pump/res combo.

I'm not.

I drain my loop the most obvious way. Get a scalpel and cut your tube cleanly in half with a basin underneath to catch the water as it spills out. Never failed me yet and there are no expensive parts you need to buy to do it.

Only buy Laing pumps.

I'm not.

Hmmm,

That's weird... I could swear I saw you saying that on another topic but whatever. Would the XSPC X20 750 reservoir pump combo be a good choice though?

Hmmm,

That's weird... I could swear I saw you saying that on another topic but whatever. Would the XSPC X20 750 reservoir pump combo be a good choice though?

I can only recommend Laing pumps. They are proven to work and >90% of people use them. 

I can only recommend Laing pumps. They are proven to work and >90% of people use them. 

I just don't see how I could fit a pump in the 5.25" bay area D:

What pump do you use and where is your pump and reservoir?

I just don't see how I could fit a pump in the 5.25" bay area D:

What pump do you use and where is your pump and reservoir?

I use a Laing DDC. I use a Pump + Res combo.

Look at this thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/14638-need-reservoir-and-pump-combo-unit/