Memtest86+ is back after 9 years of no updates

Dafydd

Summary

After 9 years, Memtest86+ returns! The open source version of Memtest86 has been updated to support UEFI, modern Intel/AMD processors, but

still looks gloriously retro.

Quotes

For the uninitiated, MemTest86 was originally created back in the mid 1990s, and was one of the earliest DDR memory testing applications for personal computers. But development stopped in 2013 once Memtest86 was split into Memtest86 and Memtest86", with the former being bought by PassMark. Officially, we don't know why development stopped. But compared to the now modern Memtest86, Memtest86+ is the open-source variant.

Needless to say, version 6.00 features a lot of updates, which were required to bring it up to modern standards compared to the 2013 version. The new version includes completely rewritten code for UEFI-based motherboards, the modern version of a BIOS, for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the application.

My thoughts

Heck yeah, open source! Welcome back.

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/memtest86-plus-is-back-after-9-years

Used memtest few backs back for my ram. Worked a treat without the update!

cool to see such an old application receiving and update!

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Memtest is cool if you can't risk booting into the main OS but I got spoiled too much by RAM Test which uses AVX acceleration and is fully multi-threaded.

Memtest took almost 2.5h to do one pass on my 64GB of RAM while RAM Test does that under 15min... but it's paid SW so...

2 hours ago, WereCat said:

Memtest is cool if you can't risk booting into the main OS but I got spoiled too much by RAM Test which uses AVX acceleration and is fully multi-threaded.

Memtest took almost 2.5h to do one pass on my 64GB of RAM while RAM Test does that under 15min... but it's paid SW so...

That's the issue I got with memtest. I had to wait for hours and since then, I never cared about memtemt ever again.

I'll keep RAM Test in mind if I ever have to test my RAM.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

I still use memtest a bunch at work. I just boot it up before I go home and let it run over night so I don't care that much for longer wait times. Glad to see that it's still being updated.