Is using Windows 7 in 2022 risky? For old computer.

Curesto

Hello there. I have a desktop computer and specs are:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz(from 2007, 2C/2T)

MB: Asus P5LD2-X/1333

RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR2 800 MHz Dual Channel CL6

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit

HDD: Samsung HD250HJ 250GB 7200 RPM

PSU: Gigabyte P650B 650W 80+ Bronze

It is running extremely slow with Windows 11. I think downgrading it to Windows 7 would make it run much faster. 

I'm using it just for browsing and playing very light games.

Is Windows 7 worth to install for this particular computer?

Thanks.

You are use a hdd with windows 11. 11 and 10 for that matter basically require a ssd to function properly.

4gb of ram is also the bare minimum.

You are also using unsupported hardware.

The cpu is also very weak.

All this togheter will result in a bad experience flat out.

Is it safe? No not at all. Windows 7 has expoiltable issues that if they are found on the internet its basically a guarantee they'll be compromised.

It's not recommended to install Win7 as it's no longer receiving security patches. If it's only for light use and too slow for modern Windows, try a lightweight Linux distribution.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

15 minutes ago, Curesto said:

It is running extremely slow with Windows 11. I think downgrading it to Windows 7 would make it run much faster. 

Yea upgrading to w7 will make it run much faster, although you can just download a windows 10 ltsc iso and thats basically debloated windows 10 so itll run almost like w7 performance wise

Well w10 ltsc exists so just find the damn iso and install, besides it wont be as annoying as w7 without liscense and it actually gets extended security updates ws regular w10, though for the average user youd prob be fine with even w7 but with the annoyances it gives when running w/o liscense i just encourage w10 ltsc over it

Also an r9 280x doesnt belong in a pile of crap like that, just sell it off since the cpu is so damn slow and the mobo is an older one thatll be awful at fsb overclock even if you do throw in a quadcore

Just now, 8tg said:

Just because something is no longer supported does not make it inherently insecure provided you know what you’re doing.

I still regularly use windows 7 and XP on a few machines, just don’t do anything dumb and it’ll be fine.

^^^

I also use w7 but just for ancient systems that i wanna test, otherwise id likely go with w10 ltsc just because less annoying w/o liscense vs w7, tbh i dont care about security updates, not really as important as theyre made out to be, maybe if you work in big tech or the government it would be a real concern but not as an average user that hackers normally dont bother targetting. I ran ancient android 4 5 and 6 till 2021 when i got this damn vivo with android 11, no hacking or virus issues or anything like that

I know this is going to sound cliche, but you're going to get much more bang for your buck with a Linux installation.  Also, maybe consider changing out that HDD for an inexpensive SSD.

If you're new to it, I would recommend either Mint or Xubuntu, as those will have the most support behind using them and learning.  Most light/older games should be able to run (may want to check compatibility on your favorites, though) and the best part is you still get regular security patch updates.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

18 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Just because something is no longer supported does not make it inherently insecure provided you know what you’re doing.

I still regularly use windows 7 and XP on a few machines, just don’t do anything dumb and it’ll be fine.

15 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

^^^

I also use w7 but just for ancient systems that i wanna test, otherwise id likely go with w10 ltsc just because less annoying w/o liscense vs w7, tbh i dont care about security updates, not really as important as theyre made out to be, maybe if you work in big tech or the government it would be a real concern but not as an average user that hackers normally dont bother targetting. I ran ancient android 4 5 and 6 till 2021 when i got this damn vivo with android 11, no hacking or virus issues or anything like that

I think it should be safe using Opera for browsing and Steam for games.

It is really struggles running Windows 11. Also the chipset is so trash it doesn't even detect 4GB of RAM completely, only 3.4 GB of it is usable.

resim_2022-10-24_153700589.png.1fef42c2d0b9a76579f0988dcabbdd42.png

2 minutes ago, Curesto said:

I think it should be safe using Opera for browsing and Steam for games.

It is really struggles running Windows 11. Also the chipset is so trash it doesn't even detect 4GB of RAM completely, only 3.4 GB of it is usable.

resim_2022-10-24_153700589.png.1fef42c2d0b9a76579f0988dcabbdd42.png

I pulled up the manual for the mobo part number you have listed to see if that missing 600MB of RAM was due to an onboard GPU memory allocation or something, but the manual says you shouldn't be able to put more than 2GB of RAM into it at all.  

image.png.f64291c07d456500581ac1a2c30655b5.png

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

20 minutes ago, LapsedMemory said:

I pulled up the manual for the mobo part number you have listed to see if that missing 600MB of RAM was due to an onboard GPU memory allocation or something, but the manual says you shouldn't be able to put more than 2GB of RAM into it at all.  

image.png.f64291c07d456500581ac1a2c30655b5.png

With latest BIOS version, it supports 4GB(2GB*2) of RAM.

But chipset is only able to detect 3.4 GB of it. Same goes for other motherboards with the same chipset.

On 10/25/2022 at 12:08 AM, Curesto said:

With latest BIOS version, it supports 4GB(2GB*2) of RAM.

But chipset is only able to detect 3.4 GB of it. Same goes for other motherboards with the same chipset.

its explained in the manual exert in post above, where the pointy finger is.

its a 32-bit system so its not going to be much use soon anyway.

most people ive seen have been using these types of systems for retro gaming systems

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch