PC Overheating

cxz

Well comp just started to over heat today. I haven't done any trouble shooting other than seeing that my cpu is really hot. So question is right now, could my comp really be dirty enough to overheat? There is a light layer of dust and I think the last time I cleaned it was in November.

First id start with the easiest solution, simply give your PC a good cleaning, get rid of all that dust. Second thing i'd do would be checking the thermal paste on my CPU @cxz

I doubt that it's dust that is causing it to overheat. A light layer of dust should still allow your fans to work.

What CPU cooler are you using and what temps is your CPU hitting? Also, just a hunch, did you check if the CPU cooler is still firmly connected?

Main Rig: Illya V2, the Tiny Titan: ||i7 8700k 5GHz @ 1.385v (delidded)|| ||NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE|| ||KrakenZ63|| ||ASRock Z390-Phantom-ITX/ac|| ||Corsair SF750||

2nd Rig: Illya V1, the Air Cooled Prodigy: ||i7 4790k 4.4GHz @ 1.3v|| |NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE|| ||Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2|| ||ASRock Z87-E|| ||SeaSonic G-Series 550w (Carbon Fiber Mod)||

Captain isHypnophobic of the LTT Conglomerate.

First id start with the easiest solution, simply give your PC a good cleaning, get rid of all that dust. Second thing i'd do would be checking the thermal paste on my CPU @cxz

I doubt that it's dust that is causing it to overheat. A light layer of dust should still allow your fans to work.

What CPU cooler are you using and what temps is your CPU hitting? Also, just a hunch, did you check if the CPU cooler is still firmly connected?

Well like I said I haven't really done any troubleshooting other than noticing my temp reached 67 Celsius (possibly higher). It was late and I needed my beauty sleep =D All my fans are working. It is a little hotter in the house now, but the temps on my cpu when idle are about 20 something, so ambient temp shouldn't affect it too much. I'll probably give my comp a good cleaning and see where that takes me.

Well I think I figured out the problem...Avast was blowing up while I was updating wildstar.  So I just turned Avast web screening thing off and now my comp is happier.  Guess I'll invest in some new cooling soon too.