YouTube SHOULD charge for 4K. Hear me out.

James

Sounds a lot like Google is paying creators to spread this propaganda. 

But meh, I watch stuff at 1080p60 anyway, so it doesn't concern me. 

On 10/23/2022 at 4:37 PM, Neroon said:

You want to back up that argument with examples where he did that?

WAN show.

On 10/27/2022 at 4:05 PM, Man said:

Sounds a lot like Google is paying creators to spread this propaganda. 

But meh, I watch stuff at 1080p60 anyway, so it doesn't concern me. 

The contradiction here is pretty funny. You don't care about 4k, but believe the only reason Linus would say that 4k is a feature most people don't care about is because Google is paying him? So I have to ask the obvious question; how much did Google pay you and where can I sign up for a similar cheque?

10 hours ago, maplepants said:

The contradiction here is pretty funny. You don't care about 4k, but believe the only reason Linus would say that 4k is a feature most people don't care about is because Google is paying him? So I have to ask the obvious question; how much did Google pay you and where can I sign up for a similar cheque?

I didn't watch the video as I'm finding it harder and harder to go through Linus' rant/propaganda posts. 

But advocating a fee for something that was previously free is bonkers, period. 

2 hours ago, Man said:

Most likely because previously it was subsidised by venture capital. Just like any startup, tech companies tend to burn money for first few years to establish market share. Once they have that, they will find ways to claw back some profit. Otherwise it's not sustainable.

3 hours ago, Man said:

I didn't watch the video as I'm finding it harder and harder to go through Linus' rant/propaganda posts. 

So you don't want to tell me how you got paid to post about how 4k isn't an important feature.

giphy.webp

On 10/19/2022 at 2:34 PM, Der_Krampus said:

Hot take, I really don't think this is a hot take.

On 10/19/2022 at 5:12 PM, BondiBlue said:

The current numbers on YouTube using the YouTube dislike extension put the video at roughly 75% likes to 25% dislikes. That's FAR more dislikes than the average LTT video normally gets. There are plenty of other "controversial" LTT videos (depending on how you define controversial) that don't have that many dislikes to likes. Also, keep in mind that the dislike count we see isn't entirely accurate since the actual data isn't publicly available anymore. 

And just for the sake of comparison, the current like and dislike counts on Floatplane as I type this are 400 likes to 17 dislikes. That's a roughly 4% dislike percentage compared to 25% on YouTube. Just something to think about. 

On 10/19/2022 at 5:58 PM, Nystemy said:

Yes, there is probably a very "healthy" amount of bias skewing the result as far as this topic is concerned.

But would be nice if Linus publish the actual dislike count in the WAN show, perhaps next week as to let the video reach its peak and shimmer out over a couple of days. Stating stuff too early can be missing a large portion of the crowd, since not everyone has time to watch videos and might only get around to it on the weekend post this weeks WAN show. (I for one find myself putting off watching through everything that is pending until I find time, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is much such people around too.)

On 10/19/2022 at 8:54 PM, UndefinedException said:

The more ironic thing is, the hiding of youtube dislike count saves their ass this time.

ICYMI: @LinusTech (Thank you!) posted the difference on twitter, some interesting input from others.  Summary is it's definitely not very accurate, for Linus and another person sharing the extension dislikes were about double reality.  In any event, this video's actual like ratio is 86% which is pretty not-super-hot-take category imho.

I still can't get 480p videos to play smoothly the majority of the time since Youtube took away propper buffering.  If you have 4K equipment and super high speed internet you can afford to pay more for youtube.  But I'd rather them fix the problems with the service first. 

• 1 month later...

Just watched this video and i think Linus is missing the point.

Google do not do free stuff. They like to throw it out at EVERYTHING. I have even seen Google services that are named free but will change 15$ to use it.

With that in mind, Youtube is not free. Each content creator and each viewer is paying to google.
Yes, it is not EUR or USD or what ever currency is used by person. But it is data: Our personal sensitive data; Out usage trends (of all services).
Even junk content we receive is paying Google. (adds are junk because if they would fall into your email you would mark it as spam or junk or what ever your email provider calls it)

I do agree that most content do not require 4k to watch (like LTT content). But i know a channel that do max 1080p but the content they provide needs to be minimum 1440p to be fully appreciated (better yet 4k).

So why putting 4k behind paywall is bad?

It is simple. I am already paying to Google (not with currency but other means). And placing 4k behind paywall means adding 4th method of payment on top of the previous 3. And that is issue.

It should be simple - Google should pick how they are financing this project called YouTube.

Either they do data selling and attach no currency to it; or

Either they ask for currency and DO NOT SELL DATA.

I have dropped all usual TV providers / channels for reason that they charge and still show more adds then actual content. I have stopped watching YouTube from PC as we get 30sec of adds for each 1minute of content.

If YouTube will become "must pay" type service they will loose customer (me for one). And that will hurt content creators more than Google.

P.S. regarding Floatplane, how to watch it on TV? i wish to pay you, but i do not see way i can view the content : )

P.S.S. Just thought of an other way how Google is being paid by YouTube - they are using YouTube videos in their other projects as source materials (like AI). And part of an other project incomes Google is not counting into YouTube budget as they should.

I'm perfectly okay with YT charging for 4k and beyond.

PROVIDED they fit all of their glaring issues beforehand. 

Seriously Google, YT is bad broken in many ways, your video "suggestions" section is flat busted, as is the ability to search for topics. Fix that first you idiots.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.