The $1,000,000 Computer is Broken

jakkuh_t

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

The most first world of first world problems...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'm 1 minute into the video thinking "is the solution you get a whole-rack solution from HP / Dell / Lenovo with a service contract like normal companies do so then it's their ass on the line when shit doesn't work"? 

"Pffft NetApp storage costing $1000 per terabyte?  I can totally do it cheaper than that!"

Alternatively:  this is why everything is AWS or Azure or Google Cloud.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I'm 1 minute into the video thinking "is the solution you get a whole-rack solution from HP / Dell / Lenovo with a service contract like normal companies do so then it's their ass on the line when shit doesn't work"? 

"Pffft NetApp storage costing $1000 per terabyte?  I can totally do it cheaper than that!"

What config would you use with NetApp?

Why does every video have to have a gazillion dollars in the title or thumbnail?

2 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Cheaper and slower, too.  NetApp couldn't hold a candle to this config.  First you have to get it to 1PB without compression, deduplication, compaction, or whatever else they use to make it look bigger than it is, then you have to pay professional services to cobble together flex groups and flex vols to create a 1PB filesystem.  or you can hit the easy button like they did in the video.  lol 

22 minutes ago, GameRetro said:

Why does every video have to have a gazillion dollars in the title or thumbnail?

Finished watching it and this was one of the better videos in recent time. The title not only does it not do the video justice, but it completely misses the point and lacks any summary of the content of the video.

The video was about so much cool things, including the problems as well as the fix (which was VERY interesting). But then the actual description of the server, the file system, the OS that runs it, and the simulation models and all that was extremely interesting.

I expected a video about a broken thing that doesn't work, s**t ton of money down the drain and some dissing of why and how this was an issue - basically expected a rant.

Honest to Buddha these guys need to tone down their titles and thumbnails.

A+ video, F- title/thumbnail.

56 minutes ago, GameRetro said:

Finished watching it and this was one of the better videos in recent time. The title not only does it not do the video justice, but it completely misses the point and lacks any summary of the content of the video.

The video was about so much cool things, including the problems as well as the fix (which was VERY interesting). But then the actual description of the server, the file system, the OS that runs it, and the simulation models and all that was extremely interesting.

I expected a video about a broken thing that doesn't work, s**t ton of money down the drain and some dissing of why and how this was an issue - basically expected a rant.

Honest to Buddha these guys need to tone down their titles and thumbnails.

A+ video, F- title/thumbnail.

honest question:  Did you not see the prior videos relating to this server?

As mentioned, it was a while ago now.

It was titled the "million dollar server" because the hardware they were "loaned" to make it work, legitimately was worth a million freaking dollars.

The NVME Drives in this thing alone are worth more than, like, a quarter million #$%#$^% dollars.  

53 minutes ago, tkitch said:

honest question:  Did you not see the prior videos relating to this server?

As mentioned, it was a while ago now.

It was titled the "million dollar server" because the hardware they were "loaned" to make it work, legitimately was worth a million freaking dollars.

The NVME Drives in this thing alone are worth more than, like, a quarter million #$%#$^% dollars.  

I was remarking about the “broken” part. It seems it is you who missed the point of why the title is not at all descriptive of the contents. The server worked fine (after a cpu reseat) in the whole video. The whole video was 2% about the problem (which was far from being broken but rather had a fixable issue, nothing was actually broken or damaged) and 98% about other stuff. But clickbait won right? I fully expect a title and thumbnail change by tomorrow. 

4 minutes ago, GameRetro said:

I was remarking about the “broken” part. It seems it is you who missed the point of why the title is not at all descriptive of the contents. The server worked fine (after a cpu reseat) in the whole video. The whole video was 2% about the problem (which was far from being broken but rather had a fixable issue, nothing was actually broken or damaged) and 98% about other stuff. But clickbait won right? I fully expect a title and thumbnail change by tomorrow. 

except the broken cost weeks/months of headaches?  Which is why there was such a delay?

.... blame it on second jake!!!

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

14 hours ago, tkitch said:

except the broken cost weeks/months of headaches?  Which is why there was such a delay?

Here's a 5 second fix then:

The $1M server WAS broken... (add whatever you want to it).

Examples:

- The $1M server WAS broken, here's how we fixed it.

- The $1M server WAS broken, but now better than ever.

- The $1M server WAS broken, but we got it running and you won't believe...

I mean I hate clickbaity titles but there's plenty of room for clickbait while at the same time being factual and more descriptive of the contents. 

Heck, even this Twitter profile has some fun with it:

image.png.03aa7f7971d6d7efa1db5a959c95437e.png

Any of these would have been more factual and better. 

The video was so good the title thumbnail did not do it ANY justice!

Really late for this thread.. but a friend of mine at Weka was complaining that the performance wasn't nearly as good or fast as what it could have been. 

• 7 months later...

From today's video at Computex 2023 (

) for Gigabyte's Nvidia tech, he mentioned the dataset for this is about 100TB in size. 7:00 Network Time Protocol. Could you instead of used a command line script? Like in Windows using 'time' and 'date' command to set as you wish and run those all at the same time to sync time instead of creating a time server? Love to know how to create a time server. 

See also; 

How was LMG able to borrow this hardware for so long without NASA wanting it back? Did they have a duplicate set up?