Do I have to worry about dust in my PSU?

HungryHamster

I'm getting the ASUS Thor P2 power supply and it's the first PSU I have had that is oriented with the fan facing up instead of down. Will I have to periodically take it out and dust it off with compressed air? What's the worst that could happen if I just let that dust build up?

Just blow compressed air into the psu and call it a day. Do make sure that the case you choose has holes at the top for the psu to take air from. Else just flip it around and mount it fan down like usual.

Any reason for this psu? A rmx1000w is at least 100$ cheaper and just as good. This asus you pay for the design.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Just blow compressed air into the psu and call it a day. Do make sure that the case you choose has holes at the top for the psu to take air from. Else just flip it around and mount it fan down like usual.

Any reason for this psu? A rmx1000w is at least 100$ cheaper and just as good. This asus you pay for the design.

Thanks for the info. The case is the Corsair 5000T so it does have holes above the PSU shroud. I like this PSU because of the design. It has cool RGB and an OLED screen that shows the wattage.

20 minutes ago, HungryHamster said:

It has cool RGB and an OLED screen that shows the wattage.

That only lasts a few years. It comes with a 3 year warranty for these features for a reason.

Usually, a well built PSU should have some immunity on dust. The solder joint usually covered in a layer of plastic to avoid dust from short circuiting pins and contacts. Still, there's possibility of dust build up that can trap heat and reduce the component's life.

If you practise good maintenance of your system (proper cleaning your PC at least once every half year), you should not have to worry.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

17 hours ago, HungryHamster said:

That's good to know. I had no idea, but that does appear to be the case.

Yeah those extras have failed for multiple people already on the first version which is barely 4 years old. So Id not buy it for an irreplaceable bling feature.